Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wavering on the Cayman, your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:13 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Wavering on the Cayman, your opinion?

Hi,

As of 2 weeks ago, I was 99% sure I'd go with a Cayman for 2007. Now I'm not so sure. Please advise.

Here is the background to my dilemma. I had a 1996 Miata with a Jackson racing SC, Racing Beat free-flow headers and exhaust, and Bilstein coil overs. 215 HP on 2,280#s. That car was a total hoot to drive. Insanely fun around the corners. My wife made me sell it as it was light, single air-bag, and admittedly skittish at high speed. I sold it and got my RUF BTR. But I never forgot how much fun that Miata was.

My current daily driver is a Lexus RX330, and I will replace it next year with an every-day fun car. I locked on the Cayman as I deemed it as a Miata on Steroids.

Last weekend, I test-drove a NC (current model) MX-5 Miata, and it is just sick. The shifter is heavenly. Adequate power, and truely corners like it is on rails. Then I read that the Miata will ship the PRHT (electric hard top) version in the very near future. I almost bought the SLK just for the electric hard top, so the Miata with the PRHT is just the ticket for me. BTW, I don't like soft tops, so I never considered a Boxster. My 1996 Miata came with a hard top, that I never removed.

Now I learn from a very reliable source that Mazda is seriousely considering the MPS (Mazda Performance Series) version for the Miata. They will put the 2.3L DISI turbo-charged engine in the Miata. This engine is currently used in the CX-7 and the mazdaSpeed 6. Makes 244 HP and 260 ft-# torque. Put that with the PRHT and that is my dream car, likely as an 08 model.

So now I'm torn between the Cayman and the Miata. I am convinced with the right suspension, wheel and tire pakage, the Miata will stay with the Cayman, and be just as fun to drive. It also helps that it is some $20k cheaper to buy, and costs peanuts to maintain.

One of the down-side for the Miata is the small tank. I can only expect 250 miles per fill up, while the base Cayman may get me 350 miles.

So now you know the rest of the story. What do you think? Please remember that I already have an uber Porsche in my RUF BTR, so the Cayman is not going to deliver more of a Porsche for me. Oh, I don't track or do auto-x, so this purely a fun car for daily use.

Thanks for the input.

CP

Last edited by CP; 09-06-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

You are comparing two totally different car, in two totally different price ranges. The Cayman is a hardtop, the Miata is not. The Cayman has a stiffer suspension. The Cayman has lots more power and far better brakes. The Miata is lighter. The Cayman is mid engined. In stock form, a Cayman will destroy a Miata at the track. Oh sure, you could sink $25k into a Miata to make it as fast as a Cayman, but you'd still be driving a Mazda.

I have owned both a MX-6 and Boxster S (similar to the choices you are looking at). You cannot even compare the build quality between the two. If you don't value that difference, then save your $s and get the Miata.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,816 Likes on 2,384 Posts

did you find NC peaky?
if you dont mind the peakiness, you should try s2000. it's a far far far more sophisticated car than NC. after i drove the s2000, i think it is as good if not better than cayman s. you can get a hardtop for it and neve ruse the soft top. you can buy them at msrp or slightly below (30k, or so). the smart money is to lease them at 300/month for 36 months with min drive off. residual is 20k. basically it is literally interest free.

as far as NC and cayman, if i were you, i take NC or s2k over cayman. you got the BTR already, any other car would just be a let down. why spend the money on cay if it's a let down. just get s2k or NC and when you want some real juice, roll out the BTR, just my two cents.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:51 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a porsche is a porsche,so i would have a tough time buying a miata if money is not an issue...the s2000 is fun,but i might still buy the cayman if money is not an issue...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
CP
Race Director

Folks,

Thanks for the input thus far. First off, money is not the issue. I looked at the S2000 but never drove it. I may need to drive one to see what it is really like.

Just to clarify, the Miata I'm eyeing is the PRHT, and I would deem it as a hard-top coupe. Also, the MPS version actually has more power than the Cayman, as measured by #/HP. The Cayman has better brakes for sure. But it will not cost much to make the Miata keep up with the Cayman.

I realize that Porsches are special, and I have an extra-special one now. I am looking for driving fun: fun around the corners especially. As I've said, a month ago, the Cayman, no question. Now, I'm kind of lost.

Luckily I have a year to think about it. Who knows, may be the real Miata PRHT MPS version is really a dog. Then the decision will be simple again.

CP

Last edited by CP; 09-06-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

actually ignoring power and price, cayman will out corner any miata stock to stock.

but if you want real cornering fun for a stock car, on the street, NOTHING comese close to elise/exige.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by mooty
actually ignoring power and price, cayman will out corner any miata stock to stock.

but if you want real cornering fun for a stock car, on the street, NOTHING comese close to elise/exige.
John,

I really should take some time to drive the Miata and the Cayman back-to-back to be sure. I may be fooled by my fond memory of my old Miata. Kind of the college sweet-heart syndrome.

As a daily driver, I need a little function still, so the Lotus is out.

BTW, if you track Cayman S a black one now? Black wheels to boot. Really evil. Can you post a few more pics?

Thanks.

CP
Old 09-05-2006, 10:24 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

if you drive all the way up to sacto, cayman is much more comfy. and hauls more dwgs.
college sweet heart syndrome, i woudn't know, married my high shcool girlfriend haha.
the black cay has always been the track car. i have both silver (fikse profi 10) and black wheels (jongbloed).

sorry i dont have more pix. i will be at laguna 9/7, 9/16-17, TH 9/8, 9/15. so if i get lucky someone would take a few pix of me then i 'll post.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
did you find NC peaky?
if you dont mind the peakiness, you should try s2000. it's a far far far more sophisticated car than NC. after i drove the s2000, i think it is as good if not better than cayman s. you can get a hardtop for it and neve ruse the soft top. you can buy them at msrp or slightly below (30k, or so). the smart money is to lease them at 300/month for 36 months with min drive off. residual is 20k. basically it is literally interest free.

as far as NC and cayman, if i were you, i take NC or s2k over cayman. you got the BTR already, any other car would just be a let down. why spend the money on cay if it's a let down. just get s2k or NC and when you want some real juice, roll out the BTR, just my two cents.
agreed.
CP, if you haven't driven the S2k - i suggest you do before making a decision. drive it for a weekend.
36 mo. lease, nice residual as already stated. look at what 3 yr. old s2k's are selling for now.
Oh, and the technology (all around) is phenomenal - as already stated.

suggested, as you have brought up the idea of running a miata.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't make up your mind about what car to get based upon what you hear might happen in the next few years with Mazda. I would find a great deal on a Cayman, drive it for a few years and when the Mazda that you want goes on sale, go and drive it. My guess is that you will find that it is nothing compared to the Cayman with the exception of maybe straight line speed.

To me there is not many cars on this planet as fun in the twisties than the Cayman and/or Boxsters.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the MB 350 SLK or SLK AMG? Hardtop, good to too much power. Just another thought. Or Cayman. Bag the Miata
Old 09-05-2006, 10:59 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well since you have a 993...why not get a cab..maybe a boxster s or something like that...i owned a few boxster and they are a blast..
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Reading between the lines seems you really like the MX5/Miata. Nothing wrong with that if it serves your purposes, plus is rag top (if you decide to use it) and you save about 20K. But you really need to drive both and if one did break which one would you feel better about getting repaired. I would not let a smaller tank stand in front of a decision.

I just don't know quality of new "Miata's", if like the old ones, it is a great bang for the buck.

For me, rather go with Cayman as would like to use it on the track. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Pong I hadn't seen this thread when I PMed you so I'll share my "experience" with the group.
I did a 2 day DE over the weekend and during each session I was passed (in my '92 C2) like I was standing still by a Cobalt Blue Cayman S. Now I know you're all thinking "it has more power than your car, ..." I was passed by other cars too including C6 Vettes, older Z06s, a 996...and none came up behind me as fast or was out of my site as fast as that Cayman. There was always a crowd around the car between sessions and the 21 year old-looking owner was happy to talk about it. PSM, PASM, 19s, sport chrono, non-ceramic brakes...$80K or so. I asked why he just didn't get a 997 and he said he didn't need a back seat!
It's hard to picture a Miata in the garage next to a Ruf BTR but it sounds like you really like them Pong.

c
Old 09-05-2006, 11:33 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Pong,

Another factor to consider is the fact that the Cayman S probably has more storage space than the Miata does which definitely makes it much more usable as a "daily driver." For the money, the Cayman S just cannot be beat when it comes to being one of the best handling cars on the planet. Truthfully, you're comparing apples and oranges here. Hearing you talk about getting the hard top Miata leads me to think that you'll probably drive with the top up 90% of the time so you might as well stick with a hard top which means the Cayman is probably your best bet here. Another factor to think about is whether or not you want to expose yourself to something new. You've already experienced what it'd be like to drive a Miata. So, why relive old memories when you can create new ones?

Quick Reply: Wavering on the Cayman, your opinion?