Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! What wheels can I have on a 987S for the track? 17's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 01:52 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! What wheels can I have on a 987S for the track? 17's?

I'm going to get a set of R compounds for the track, and it seems MUCH easier to get rubber for 17's, but I haven't seen/read of anyone using 17's on a 987S, just 986S's. Because they have the same brakes, you'd thnk it would work, but I haven't found out for sure.

On 'that auction site' there are lots of 17's as takeoffs, but they are narrow, as I"m currently running 19" wheels with 8" front and 9.5" rear - going an inch narrower can't be good for the track, and I don't want to get wider tires that have no support under them with rubber too wide for the rims, just so I get the same footprint.

18's seem to be more do-able, but the rubber is hard to come by and more expensive. I've found some knockoffs there but am not sure I should trust the quality on the track.

I don't want to spend big bucks because these are just for the track, so HRE's, SSR's, Fiskes are all out of the question - I'm looking for wheels at $500-1000 for the set, then adding rubber, not $800 a wheel or more.

What works? What doesn't? HELP!!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

There are knock-offs, then there are take-offs. Take offs as wheels taken off at the dealership because the owner wants a different set of wheels. Lots of them at e-bay last I looked. That's how I found my hollow turbo spokes for the C4S, and my second set of wheels for track use for the 987S. Both OEM Porsche take-offs.

The S comes std with 18's. 17's will probably work, but its at the end of the spectrum of sizes. Better to be at the mid-spectrum, with wheels you can use either at the track or on the street. True, I still can't find good R-compounds with appropriate sizes in 18, but in time I'm sure they will come. There will be demand from 987 and Cayman users.

If you are in a hurry, why go R-compoounds? Lot's of track rats and experts will tell you to get good and expert on the street tires before moving to R-compounds. R-compounds allow you to "cheat" to get better times without actually improving your driving technique. Modesty aside, I've outdriven 996's with R-compounds with my C4S on street tires. Mkaes for good bragging when they come over to check your car out or during the lunch break . I don'tknow where you are on the spectrum of drivng expertise, but, unless you are already up there drivng expertly and outdriving the capability of the PS2 street tire, I would suggest stay on the street tires, watch e-bay for that outrageous deal on OEM take-offs, and you'll probably find suitable 18" R-compounds when you're good and ready for them. Just my .02.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:14 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Palting, I was hoping you'd come through for me.

I'm finding that the takeoffs are mostly narrower than my current wheels, and I hate to lose footprint. Most turbo twists seem to be 7 and 8.5 instead of 8 and 9.5 - what are you using? 986 turbo-look takeoffs?

I'm feeling pretty good on street tires now, but think I have reached my limit in terms of what I want to do with the car and what the street tires will let me do, especially with these highly technical tracks. Buttonwillow wasn't as bad on my tires, but Willow Springs is just hell on PS2's, and I'm ready to just move to a more capable tire. I've outrun some with R compounds as well, but just plan to take my driving to the next level with R compounds and improve my times and cornerning, etc. There's no cheating involved because you move up to a different class where the rest of your competitors also have R compound tires.

I wouldn't say I'm expert by any stretch, no way, but I"m sick of paying $400 a tire for my 19" PS2's which really are not well made for track use, in my opinion, with the highly sloping shoulder and low rubber on the edge. Wish I could get S-03's.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I found the PS2s were excellent on the track this past weekend.

Just get a set of OEM 18s in 8" and 9" sizes.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, this may help you in selecting some knock-offs or other model take-offs.

This is what is I was told is offered on the 987 from the factory:

F 8.0 x 18 ET 57
R 9.0 x 18 ET 43

F 8.0 x 19 ET 57
R 9.5 x 19 ET 46

F 8.5 x 19 ET 55
R 10.0 x 19 ET 42

This helps too: Wheel Offset Calculator
Old 03-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I got the OEM 18" 987S wheels. Exactly like, or should I say "is", the original wheels my car came with, down to the part number. I can't find the receipt, but I believe I got them for $1200 with brand new PS2 tires mounted. jroks numbers are right on for the 18's. I just checked. One way to look at it is, I have a full set of spares if I ever destroy a wheel, any wheel .

The real outrageous deal was the OEM hollow turbo spokes for the C4S. Came off a brand new 2003 TT, exact same size as the C4S except that they were hollow, and had slightly used (20 miles) P-zeros mounted. Opening bid $500. I bid $550 with max limit of $700 and forgot about it. Had to explain to wife why I got an e-mail a week later telling me I had a new set of wheels . Had my doubts, but it was legit. They were the real OEM Porsche TT hollow spokes off a 2003 car.

Be patient. Someone, somehwere, is itching to unload in e-bay.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:38 AM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

A buddy of mine uses Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on his 986 (not sure if there are appropriate sizes for the 987) and reports that they are the next best thing to the "R" compounds.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:40 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Pilot Sport Cups are R compound tires...
Old 03-17-2006, 02:44 AM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Doh!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:43 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Well, I bought some 18" OEM Carrera lightweights, used, with some curb rash (big deal - they are track wheels, right??). With 15mm spacers in the back I'll be set. I've decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups because of what I read in comparing those with Toyo RA-1 which was my other top choice. I needed R compound tires that I could drive to the track, and those that are readily available (not Avons or Yokos which are harder to get).

Can't wait for April 8-9th to try them out!

Quick Reply: HELP! What wheels can I have on a 987S for the track? 17's?