Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987S is CRAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 987S is CRAP!!!!

Well, not really. But, this board is so underwhelming, I thought I'd stir something up. First is to get everyones attention, hence the title of the thread.

What are some things you don't like about the 987? I thinks it's an excellent roadster, bar none, but there HAS to be something someone doesn't like.

I'll start off. There is this engine drone, a low pitched moan or whine, that is so annoying when cruising on 6th gear at about 55 to 65 mph. Gives me a headache and can be tiresome on long trips when you can't speed up due to multiple speed traps. Can't hear it with the top down, but you can't have the top down ALL the time.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that's all you can come up with, it speaks very, very highly of this car.

Here's a couple of complaints that are also pretty weak.

- Hey it would be nice to see the engine without so much of a project. Like you have this new Porsche, and your not-so-car-savvy person says: flip open the hood so we can check 'er out. Duh? Can be amusing however. Actually, I've never even tried to get a look at it. I suppose I will one of these days.

- No input jack for an MP3 Player.
- Standard radio should play MP3s.
- Non-standard radio mounting impossible to replace with aftermarket stuff.
- Sport / thicker steering wheel should be standard (seriously, how much more does it really cost)
- 2 more inches of legroom would be nice (of course I have very long legs).

Would be great if it was self washing too.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

OK, I'll bite. While I have not experienced a problem with annoying engine noise on trips, I do have one criticism. It's the 4th/5th shift. I have to remember to make a conscious effort to really push the shift lever hard right when upshifting to 5th gear, or it will slide back to 3rd. Seems worse when really accelerating hard, and not a good situation when approaching redline in 4th (can you say overrev? ). When letting someone else drive the car, I mention this ahead of time, and they still have it happen . This is my first six speed, so maybe they're all like that, or maybe it's just me (horrors). Anyone else??
Old 01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

Dang, you are talking in the neighborhood of 100 MPH to overrev 3rd. Not a time to make mistakes of any kind. Anyone redlining your car in 4th (including you) better keep in mind the shift pattern and push right nice and hard. Once you are up to that speed IMHO there's no need to rush it either.

Hey if I let anyone else drive it, I'm certainly not going to let them go 100 MPH (regardless of what gear they are in) unless I know they are a very skilled and experienced driver - more than enough to deal with the 6 speed issues (which are worth mentioning anyway).

Actually if you think about it you want a reasonably strong center spring so you don't mangle the 5-4. Going 5-2 could nuke your motor pretty easily even at speeds where you might not be paying so much attention.

If you think about all of the possible errors and their implications, I would consider that the linkage is excellent in the way it works and feels. Could be a little shorter maybe, but actually the way it is tends to encourage syncro-friendly shifts. If anything I'd make that center spring even stronger pushing away from left direction (3 towards 2).
Old 01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree completely with CarsRGood's comments as those are my biggest gripes. I also think that for $60+K you should get some of the optional features as standard like electronic & memory seats and disk changer.

But if I could change just one thing I'd make a few more inches of legroom. The boxster is a very tight fit for me.

Good post Palting....

Stacey
Old 01-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

1. 3.4 L motor...let's cut the games, a Cayman is a Boxster coupe, and the Boxster deserves the same motor
2. Really annoying seat belt alarms.
3. Should have litronics and heated seats standard at this price
4. OEM wheel offsets are seriously lacking..way too conservative
5. US ride height is a farce...give us the -20 and keep the PASM

That's it for me! Awesome machine out of the box.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

CarsRGood:
I don't want to come across as a complete moron, so let me try to clarify. No one else has driven it over 65 MPH or so, but they still have missed the 4/5 shift. When it has happened to me I have immediately pushed in the clutch to prevent any damage. I simply would like the 4/5 less "notchy", and if anything, would like more effort for the 2/3 and less for the 4/5; because as you say, at 90+ no time for mistakes...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 987S but here is my list:

- no iPod connectivity (and cannot replace head unit)
- could have been at least 200# lighter
- stock suspensions a bit too high

I for one like the engine noise. The high pitch thing is annoying but the growl when pressing the loud pedal is cool.

AW
Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 AM
cja
Intermediate

Nice to know ahead of time others' complaints when my 987s is coming in in March. ELUSIVE, I came as a previous owner of a R171 SLK 350 and the 350 was seriously very roomy. However, a few 987s owners actually told me that they found the R171 SLK 350 to be less roomy than the 987s. Now I don't know cos when I sit in a 987s, it feels a little tight but how tall are you? I mean realistically, I always have a feeling that Germans are tall lads and they design Porsche to fit even guys like Arnold Schwarzeneggar who is 6"4. For sure I find the 997 to offer more rooms than the 987. The last time I sat in the test car, I could extend my legs all the way like when i sit business class I am around 6"2. However, I do feel that width wise, it does feel a little tight.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 AM
cja
Intermediate

Complaints:

0. Should have 300 hp (yeah I know... j/k)
1. PCM should come standard as the radio is really crappy
2. Steering wheel standard should be thicker and sport steering wheel should be standard with multifuctional control
3. For the S version bump it up to 19" wheel standard and make the non S version 18"

I am lucky as the far east spec. makes electronic seats, wind deflector and bi-xenon standard to at least make us feel better for my sticker price of 115K USD but those should come standard anyway as they are standard on many cars already, just like ABS.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

cja -
I'm about 6'2 and about 210 pounds with long legs and long arms. What I don't like is that in order for me to fit comfortably I need to have the seat very far back and the seatback straight up and down where I prefer to have some angle to the back seat. Eventually I can find a reasonably comfortable seating position, but as soon as my wife drives it and changes the seat position, it takes me forever to get back to a comfortable position. Without a doubt I should have gotten the power seat option with memory...it probably would have saved me a lot of hassle. And in my opinion that should be standard on a $60K car....as should many other things listed above.

All in all, i'm very happy with my car and have a big smile on my face everytime i drive it.

Unfortunately, I've never driven a SLK 350 so I can't comment on the difference in room. This I know for sure though....I fit better in a 987 than I do in a 986.

Stacey
Old 01-12-2006, 02:01 AM
cja
Intermediate

Trust me, I will never ever look back at Mercedes and I won't miss it a single bit. SLK is 3.5 with 272 hp but it feels very slow. The handling is not sharp and it is a sedan (same engine the E350, S350 uses) with a mask that looks sortta like a squished SLR. I was tricked by its look but what a mistake... I ate up 30% depreciation for about 6 months of driving before the car went bust so I forgot all about it. Porsche feels substantial, solid and responsive. The SLK is very sluggish. However, room wise, the SLK maybe something that I will miss or the metal roof. However, I will not give up what Porsche offers in driver machine communication for those little matters. I do agree with ya though... cos many things like full leather seat, multifunctional steering wheels, electronic seats are standard on Mercs... I do find it sortta ridiculous at first looking at the spec sheet of that in North America to find that it is in partial leather with no electronic seats... I mean this is afterall 60K in N.A. Well, a porsche is a porsche is a porsche, there is no substitute and good things come expensive... that's all. Otherwise, we would all have gotten the SLK 200 (much cheaper with as many gadgets)... I think the 987s will blast away the 350 any day... did you watch this one which I post?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91983063&q=987

The guy trying to chase it has 75 hp more over the 987s stock and it has no chance in overtaking him... look at the corners of the 987s... when you track the car, you will know that cars that boast 350 hp cannot handle corners ever close to the 987s and that's why it tracks a lot worst than 987s. I assure you that at least you ain't paying double of 60K like I did which had cost me my arm, my leg and my head (yeah that's what my mom said, you had lost your mind putting all that into a Porsche rather than a mortgage... yes my brain tells me not to but my heart tells me to do it). Fully speced it is 120K on my car and I have already started paying it off before the devil arrives in March. Just turned to the dark side...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

I too am waiting for my car (May '06 delivery) but from the many tests and driving my buddies car I would have to agree if you are just cruising along the engine can create a drone that is annoying over long distances. Also would like MP3 capable standard radio as I am not a fan of having mulitiple cd's to scan through so often and Xenon lights as standard. If Nissan sedans and other cars can get these headlights standard why can't Porsche do they same..."$$$$".

harrY
Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

i like them a lot but like any modern day porsche it's just too heavy
Old 01-12-2006, 09:42 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cja
Nice to know ahead of time others' complaints when my 987s is coming in in March. ELUSIVE, I came as a previous owner of a R171 SLK 350 and the 350 was seriously very roomy. However, a few 987s owners actually told me that they found the R171 SLK 350 to be less roomy than the 987s. Now I don't know cos when I sit in a 987s, it feels a little tight but how tall are you? I mean realistically, I always have a feeling that Germans are tall lads and they design Porsche to fit even guys like Arnold Schwarzeneggar who is 6"4. For sure I find the 997 to offer more rooms than the 987. The last time I sat in the test car, I could extend my legs all the way like when i sit business class I am around 6"2. However, I do feel that width wise, it does feel a little tight.
I am 6'4" and 255lbs (ex Tight End). No way in the world would my legs fit in the 987 without rubbing the steering wheel. My left foot couldn't work the clutch without hitting the steering wheel.

It's a shame because I have heard good thing about the ride of the 987. I opted for a 996C4 Cab instead and I fit with room to spare. I am surprised how much extra headroom I have. Plenty for a helmet whenever I get around to doing a DE.

Quick Reply: 987S is CRAP!!!!