Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S vs Exige C&D Article

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 11:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Will the Hayabusa motor fit into an Exige?
_________
probably will. but try an R1 motor.

i like your idea of cayman GT. i would get one as soon as they make them. i dont quite trust RUF and Farbacher's 3.8 conversion just yet ($40k. 380-400hp)

then put in a paul guard LSD. it would be quite a baby CGT, LOL.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:44 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

OK now, lets see. The Cayman is faster overall, has better track times, stops shorter than the Exige, which is a real race car(with a Toyota engine) and yet some folks have the audacity to disparage the Cayman because of of it's Japanese influence. What am I missing?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:05 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think is more a matter of rarity - but the Cayman has a huge hp advantage. I would like to the times between that Atom and Cayam - even if apples and oranges.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
MrSwede
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KBS911
OK now, lets see. The Cayman is faster overall, has better track times, stops shorter than the Exige, which is a real race car(with a Toyota engine) and yet some folks have the audacity to disparage the Cayman because of of it's Japanese influence. What am I missing?
LOL, I have been wondering the same thing, especially considering that this is a Porsche forum.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:21 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LastGT3
Will the Hayabusa motor fit into an Exige??
Yes. But there is no way that engine will have enough torque for a car that heavy. Maybe a powertech v8 made of 2 Hayabusa? That would be cool, but the engine life would be like 8h

AW
Old 02-04-2006, 03:35 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ok, arnaud, you keep liz, buy a pwrteck v8... that would be very cool and i can hitch a ride : -)

with regard to cayman and elise. i feel ppl care way too much about hp and lap times. having owned the two cars, i can tell you this. you aren't gonna find a lighter car than elise that's street legal (yeah yah, i know in som places atom and radical are legal, but let's be serious for one second). the two cars feel very very different. cayman is a small car, elise is light a body suit.

as far as japanese influence is concerned. let's face it. in terms of manufacturing process, JIT etc. no one has or will ever beat the japanese. it's only a matter if the japanese want to do it or not. if they so decide to pursuit something, especially engineering subject with nano tolearance, they will have any competitors beat. yes porsche has been influenced by japanese, but i think it's for the best. now, if ferrari would listen to honda, it will be a much better car....
Old 02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
RAC
Racer

How about a supercharged Exige for $79k? That would be closer for an apple to apple comparison. 243 hp but no street, track only. I wonder why?

http://www.ferrariofdenver.com/inven...ail.cfm?id=598
Old 02-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by RAC
How about a supercharged Exige for $79k? That would be closer for an apple to apple comparison. 243 hp but no street, track only. I wonder why?

http://www.ferrariofdenver.com/inven...ail.cfm?id=598
I wonder if it's non-street-legal because of emissions or decibels or what?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"We don't understand why Porsche charges so much more for the Cayman vs. the Boxster since the latter is undoubtedly more expensive to produce....Probably because they can"
Old 02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

boxster S: 547k base
cayman S: 589k base
difference: 4200, less than 10%, no?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:08 PM
MickOpalak
Advanced

RevUrGT3:
Sir you are correct - the exige is a kit car with an underpowered, out of date powerplant.
You have been misinformed. The Exige/Elise has never been offered in kit form, only mass produced at the Lotus factory. If it is underpowered than so is the Cayman S, since their power to weight ratios are very close (10.01 for the Cayman S and 9.31 for the Exige S). If you're suggesting that the engine is underpowered, I will remind you that the Exige engine makes 105.5 horsepower per liter, the Exige S makes 122 horsepower per liter and the Cayman S makes 87 horsepower per liter.

It is not finished, it hold nothing, it will have unbelievably crappy residuals, and the cayman will kick that poor exige's butt mostly due to power on the straights.
I don't understand by the 'not finished' comment. It will hold 5 cubic feet of luggage in its trunk, but that's not what sports cars are for in the first place. The Exige's power output, already mentioned above, has been addressed in the Exige S.

In the right hands (both cars) the cayman wins - and is a far better value which can still drive to the coffee shop.
Do you have any track times for both to back up this statement? Value is subjective, so this statement can be dismissed. And trust me, the Exige can be driven to the coffee shop, although it doesn't come with any cup holders. Imagine that, cupholders in a sports car.

On top of this, I want 10-20 year warranty on that nice bonded (read 'glued') aluminum frame. Lotus HAD to go to this exotic measuers to get the weight down - BUT the owners will get higher maint costs and incredibly high fix costs, and, if there is ANY issue of fatigue (see the BMW Z8 fiasco) you will have to spend $20 K up to fix this car.
The Elise/Exige chassis has been in production for 10 years without any reports of chassis failure. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

No thanks. Get a Cayman. Dont get a kit car.
As stated above, the Elise/Exige has never been offered as a kit car.

The Exige S is bettered compared to the new 911 GT3, as it is Porsche's stripped down track model. Very similiar performance although quite different prices.

As far as the C&D comparison goes, what I got out of it was that the Exige is for someone who can afford a second car as a daily driver and wants an uncompromising track car for sporting driving. The Cayman S is great for someone who wants a sporty driving experience but also needs comfort and luxury for the daily drive. The Cayman S also comes with lots of electronic baby sitters for the more inexperienced drivers.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
MickOpalak
Advanced

I think I was a little too harsh...but
"Well, am I the only one that thinks there is nothing to compare on a Cayman vs the Exige? They are totally different cars with totally different market segments in mind... the Exige is almost a race car and the Cayman is an incredible driver's sport car... A GT3 vs a Exige would have been a better comparison... and even then, the GT3 is way more civilized than the Exige (except for ground clearance).

C/D says "Lows: race-car noise"... DUH! It IS a race car!

Anyway, not to start an argument here... although I will probably get flamed...

Note: I just read the whole article now and C/D does state that this is a track-oriented car. So, point to them, but I still think there is nothing to compare. "

I agree thathe Exige is track only car that is DOT BUT - cars are getting sooo good that actually think that stock exige will have its hand full at the tracxk with a 295 hp Cayman S which costs about the same.
Further, if we are talking comparisons of very focussed track-DOT cars - then, you should include the Ariel aton amd and that other british car, runs hayabusa motor, and is abount the same coin.

In any case, the guys who I think buy these car buy them because they aqre unique, not necessarily the fastest..I respect that.

Have you seen where the Exige and the Cayman S fall on the Top Gear lap times board? 1.26.7 for the Cayman S and 1.26.4 for the Exige, in the rain. Now imagine an Exige S in the dry.

Last edited by MickOpalak; 02-13-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:16 PM
MickOpalak
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coochas
I wonder if it's non-street-legal because of emissions or decibels or what?
The 243 hp Exige Cup cars that you are referencing are street legal in Europe, just not in America because Lotus did not get the engines certified by the Fed here. The 220 hp Exige S is not being offered in the US.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:32 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z06 is raced in SCCA T1. The C5 has totally dominated that class. The C6's should be racing soon

I think the Exige and Cayman are much more alike than they are different so the comparison is quite an obvious one (there are at least two such comparisons in print already; I'm sure more are to come). There are so few cars that are true apples to apples anyway (manufacturers work very hard to make sure there are no apples to apples!).
Old 02-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that's a license plate I can relate too!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cayman S vs Exige C&D Article