Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to trade in R171 SLK 350 for 987 - To S or not to S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:32 PM
cja
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to trade in R171 SLK 350 for 987 - To S or not to S?

Finally decided to trade in my R171 SLK 350 for a 987 tip or 987 s. Will test drive the 987 next tuesday with the dealer and if he doesn't renege on his trade in price (people usually do that... on the spot), I think I am all set.

Only problem, no demo car in 987 plain and the demo on 987 s is tiptronic. I wouldn't mind but at 115,000 USD (I am in HK), the price is pretty hefty.

Only concern is going from SLK 350 (3.5) to a 987 plain tip 2.7 maybe a bit of a step down in power. However, the S maybe heavy toll on my budgetting for next year and the wife is definitely gonna pound me on this.

Base 987 plain vanilla with 18" wheels and metallic paint approximately 100K USD. The 987 s with the single option of metallic paint (18" wheels already standard) is 115,000K so the answer is 15 k more.

The ownership cost and insurance are also factors. In fact, the ownership cost dealer service will be 6500 USD for 2 years all wear and tear parts and service inclusive and it's a must so it's 3.3% of your purchase price a year for the first 2 years. For additional 2 years thereafter (which most people also prone to buy) is 7500. Then it becomes 5% or so every year for year 2-4.

I actually bought extended warranty for my Mercedes thinking that I would actually own it for 3 years and ownership cost on average = 2.5% a year. A few said the road conditions in HK (AVERAGE speed in HK's city driving is about 50 km/hr and highway 60 or so) make the base model a real good buy but if you really wanna have that rocket push sometimes, S is the way to go. At least the salesman had been telling me that I should simply get the S if I ain't really into pushing it hard.

So the answer is I can afford it but the S is gonna be 15k more... worth it or not? I can't tell cos I don't have a base tiptronic to test and only the S but I don't wanna get the 987 base and be disappointed cos I tested the S and had different expectations.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Whether anything is worth anything is a personal matter. Obviously, for me, it was worth it. I did not even give the base Boxster a second look, because I wanted the extra HP and torque of the S. I think the base Boxster will run around an SLK 350 easily. But, listening to, or actually reading into your post, however, I have a feeling you will feel the drop in HP, if anything else because you know about it. It's all about perception, real or imagined. I would say go for the S, but if you find the price diff a bit steep, keep the SLK.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:11 PM
type987s
Instructor

S,,,,nuff said
Old 12-18-2005, 01:27 AM
cja
Intermediate

Your black on tan is definitely sexy... I love the red calipers and what rims are those? They look aftermarket? Very nice ride. I have 3 colours in mind, Black on red, Artic Silver on Black, Seal Grey on Black.

One friend said yellow (heck, save the metallic paint too) on black... but yellow just ain't me. I guess I am more conservative cos Arctic Silver on Black is always the image colour. Black is harder to take care of.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:33 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Red calipers are standard on an S.

Remember that performance in a car is the product of HP and curb weight. The 987S is much lighter than an SLK350.

Focus on 0-60 times and skidpad g ratings for a sense of how a car will drive.

Traded my M3 for a 987S and never looked back.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 AM
type987s
Instructor

The rims are the 18 inch Boxster S wheel. They come stock on the S for $0 :-)
I like them alot. This is also my first black car. It is not that much harder to take care of. Just keep a bottle of quick detailing spray and a soft rag around for touch ups and water spots. Black also has one advantage over lighter colors in the summer. Bugs collecting on the front bumper don't show up near as much. Bugs on my previous silver TT used to drive me CRAZY. Black is kinda like bug camouflage between washings :-)
Old 12-18-2005, 10:32 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I had this same dilemma about a year ago when I ordered my 05 987S. One guy responded to me and said pretty much if you're having the debate...then you want the S. I'm a performance guy, so I went with the S and couldn't be more happy with my decision.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 AM
cja
Intermediate

Yes, I have a friend telling me that on paper, the SLK 350 would be attractive and value for money. Given that I have owned one for almost a year is also a factor. He did mention that when I have my 987 even if it is base tip s, I would never even look back. I think the SLK 350's number 5.7 is a bit understated overly optimistic... for some reason, my 7G tronic never makes me feel that it is shifting properly and the car just doesn't seem to be that fast even in straightline for offering 272 hp at 5.7... it doesn't match what the paper claims. Well, it is a sedan engine...

Yes the yellow caliper is standard so is the 18" wheels and black caliper is standard on boxster... the good thing about getting a boxster base in HK is that many optional equipments found everywhere else is standard. That includes bi-xenon, electrical seats, park assist and a few other goodies but hey, if I am paying 100K USD on a boxster, those better come standard cos for a boxster s over here at 115K, I could get a GT 3 in the states. In the far east especially in Singapore and HK, cars are just heavily taxed and if you throw in gasoline at 1.5 USD/gallon, you will know that a 2.7 may actually be better economically. Plus I don't think there is anywhere to drive over 110 km/hr without getting a speeding tickets or camera shots by the police... sigh!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Having recently traded in a 2005 350 with the manual trans for a 2006 Boxster S with the TIP I feel competent to comment on the differences between the two very fine automobiles. Actually both cars belonged to my wife. The 350 seemed faster through the gears, but the car revs VERY quickly. I didn't trust myself not paying very close attention. (especially in first gear).
The S is a little roomier and feels glued to the road, the 350 seemed cramped in the passenger side. I would recommend the S over the standard Boxster. My 997 Carrera is Artic silver with the Stone grey interior and I have grown to really like the color combination. Very easy to maintain and the car always looks clean.
Good luck in choosing. Get the heated seats for sure.

Doc
Old 12-20-2005, 12:37 PM
cja
Intermediate

Larry Harris, I just sold my R171 SLK 350 Arctic Silver with Black Interior this morning. I almost cried as I thought I would miss it. The hardtop part for sure. Back to back at the dealer's carpark, I tested out the 987 s Tiptronic in SEAL GREY stock with rims painted same colour as body. No sport chrono just plain out. Now after I tested the car, I knew I would never regret trading it in. Yes, both are fine cars but the R171 offers more comfort and it's more sedan like.

The rims were also painted colour of the body and actually quite cool. Larry, did you get the colour crest on the wheels? I prefer them to the plain ones. Also, how do you like the 5 speed tiptronic v. 7G tronic. Actually, for some unknown reason, I like the 5 speed tiptronic more although it is an older technology cos the 7G tronic downshifts too quickly and sometimes can feel jerkish as it doesn't know what gear to select properly.

The bad news is that I think I cannot test out the 987 base 2.7, no demo. I had a chance to test out a 2.5 98 boxster and that was pretty bad. It was absolutely underpower and the plastic films on the back really turned me off. It might have looked good back in 97 when it first came out but hearing the back plastic window cracked turned me off. The 2.5 is probably nothing more than a people moving machine.

Now the 987 s is quite good. The new generation 987 drives very very differently than R171 SLK 350. Now I know why people say Porsche, there is no substitute. The engine noise, the throttle and the steering are solid, responsible and communicative. The car has a soul itself and I believe that it is something that I would grow to like and will stay with me every morning when I turn the ignition. On the other hand, the R171 SLK 350 grows old on you and after 1 year, I disliked it and its look. I guess mainly because there were too many of them running around and the souped up 200 version with the 200 taken out pretending to be a 55. That's no good.

The R171 on paper at 270 hp 0-60 5.5 s (that's probably grossly understated as I have driven the car for 8-9 months) doesn't feel at all like a 911 997 stock. If they are the same on the 0-60, on straight line, the 350 supposedly could keep up with the 997 but I truly doubt that.

After driving the 987, I felt that I could never go back to the R171 and I will never ever miss it (ok... except maybe the metal roof but the new soft top is excellent... ). The R171 SLK 350 doesn't have a soul and it drives like a C or a E with a firmer suspension. The steering wheels is mushy and soft and there is definitely little substance to it compared to the solid feel of th 987. The engine absolutely cannot compare and the 987 s tiptronic's engine sound was music to my ears. Actually, the car is quite responsive in every aspect. However, even at 280 hp, I feel that I could only say it is ADEQUATE. I cannot claim it as powerful or fast but it is definitely enough. A stick may feel different depending on driving style. However, if I cruise around without flooring the car, I doubt that the S tiptronic would make that much of a difference to me.

It's fun enough as it is...

I will take till before 25th to put in my deposit but I think it is either a basalt metallic black with grey interior or artic silver with black interior. I couldn't decide. Seal grey with black isn't bad but I may grow sick of it. Someone recommended WHITE... I don't know.

If I go for the base, I will get the metallic paint and 18" wheels and if I get the S I will simply get the metallic paint. One will put me at 760,000 HKD (100K USD) and the other one will be 880,000 HKD (115K USD). I have decided to forget about maintenance cost and drive the damn car. I don't go racing that much so I probably would never use up the EWS plan worth of wear and tear and parts and that'a an insurance for those who run their cars like CAYENNE inter countries.

Tiptronic is definitely less responsive but I think it shifts quite well for a 5 speed and very smooth to be honest. I actually, no joke, I had the 7G tronic and the Mercedes sometimes downshifts too early too soon and you would feel the car actually jerking on you and the tiptronic never had that problem. Not bad at all.

I am leaning more towards the S lest I would not be able to live with the 2.7 but the sales and my cousin strongly recommended simply the base to treat this as a day to day funster roadster car. You have fun with it... The S would not make that much of a difference as per suggestions because even with the S, the car could not perform anywhere close to being a super car like ferrari and turbo so just treat it as a roadster.

So 120,000 HKD (15k usd) extra + or - for the S and an increase in 40 hp... that's the hard part.

Finally, it's just funny because on paper in all magazines, the boxster performs the WORST in terms of 0-100 km time. In fact, it can't even beat a SLK 280 on tiptronic and the Z4 3.0 performs better on that respect. Finally, the 330i E90 actually has a better time than even the 2.7 base version and this is really not making any sense at all.

I guess I am being silly again in the "toyz for boyz" mentality again and getting hung up over all these seemingly meaningful numbers... actually, we would never feel it unless we go from start to 100 km with a stopwatch and 0.5 s is not something to worry about on paper but it does give guys something to brag about. Finally, embarassing to find a Porsche to run worst than a 330i 4 door sedan.

Anyway, it's all in my head. However, there is no doubt that the 350 is a fast car on paper and on striaght line.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...50/index1.html

Value for money... can't be beaten.

Finally, if some of you are interested, try this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...924&q=top+gear

Top gear is a great show.

Also, I was tempted to wait around for the DSG or Porsche's equivalent of 6 speed tiptronic or double clutch to come out maybe in 2008 save the money and put it in stocks or something... oh well... or I would have lost it all by then...
Old 12-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

After reading your letter I get the feeling you are really undecided, and the car comparisons are making the matter worse. Apparently none of the cars you have described really "grab" you. In buying an exotic (semi) I want a car that I can't wait until morning to take the car out for a drive. You must have that " butterflies in your stomach" feeling everytime you drive the car of your dreams. If that feeling is not present, you aren't looking at the right car.
I would suggest you hold off on any purchase for 90 days. Get your mind on other things for awhile. Come back to cars at a later date. Most importantly buy what YOU want, not what others tell you you need.
Lar
Old 12-25-2005, 10:52 AM
cja
Intermediate

Thanks Larry Harris. Traded in my R171 SLK 350 after test driving the 987s. Absolutely marvellous and very different car. The 987s, while many couldn't tell the difference, immediately had me saying "what a beautiful car..." so I knew that was it.

I was only deciding between 987 s and Cayman S but the Cayman S hatched back really put me off a bit. It reminded me of the 928 which I didn't like very much since day 1. It was a hard decision because Cayman S offered a different feel altogether as it was more a coupe and definitely wouldn't provide the same sort of fun.

Nonetheless, Cayman S' waitlist is up to November 2006 and my 987s, now in Arctic Silver with Black top and black interior is ready for delivery March 06 with Jan 06 production. Really looking forward to it. Funny though... I picked the same colour which I picked since I first owned my first convertible which was a BMW silver with black interior... some of my friends did say I should have gotten a black or seal grey for a change but I truly liked the silver with black 987s. It's a tiptronic S.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:53 AM
cja
Intermediate

type 987s, I still love your black with tan a lot though... except that I will have to wait till May for it and I just couldn't wait...

Quick Reply: Decided to trade in R171 SLK 350 for 987 - To S or not to S?