Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Club Sport / RS ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 04:23 PM
vinoviva
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cayman Club Sport / RS ?

As an avid 911 owner (84 CS, 87 930S, 89 3.2 Carrera, 91 964/4, 98 993S)
I just haven't been enthusiastic about owning a water cooled car. Until now that is- I've decided that I must own a Caymen Club Sport (or RS) if and when it is produced. Grand Prix white, stripped black interior, no options except racing seats,PCCB, and a factory installed Mattern cage (I wish). Trouble is, my inside Porsche contacts tell me it isn't likely. Not because they wouldn't be a huge success- but because it would take the spotlight off of the flagship 911 model. Porsche knows the obvious appeal such a model would present - but- make no mistake- the 911 is the flagship racing platform for the forseeable future. (excluding of course the Carrera GT and LMP2). I know many more Porsche addics like myself must be lusting for this model. Please join me in the campaign---Please Porsche --Give us the Cayman Club Sport!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

If the factory won't, no doubt the aftermarket will.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:42 PM
rushSC
Advanced

I agree with Mike, besides Dallas isn't too far away!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:03 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

Though I've had my RS America for only about a year, I've always wanted a p-car my whole life, even as a child. It's really only been within the last 4-5 years that a P-car has been within my means - to own AND drive in the way it's meant to be driven. Why'd I get the RS America? Because it was the newest, relatively modern car that I could get that looks like and feels like the p-car from my memories from long ago. When I started looking around for what to get, I started to realize that there was something about all the cars following the 993 that I didn't appeal to me. But, I couldn't put my finger on it. At first I thought it had to do with wanting a track platform, and not wanting to get something to expensive. I just can't see myself driving a GT3 the same way I can drive the 964 on the track. But after reading the Cayman v 964 thread on the 964 board and VV's vision of a Cayman CS, I think it has to do with the current Porsche design aesthetic. I love the exterior, back more than front (like many?). I can't stand the Cayman interior. It's too luxurious. It's interior is too much the car for the butts and eyes of the people that buy expensive cars. I can't get myself to like the idea of PSM even though I think it's basically good. Whether 997 or boxster or Cayman the cars seem designed to best fit the people that need the shiny new toy first, then retain enough of the sporting tradition to be a Porsche second. No? Too strong a criticism?

VV's car is EXACTLY the car I want. I'd go out and buy that car. Would I need it? No. Would I get rid of the 964? No. Must have 911. What am I going to do with 2 track cars? Would my wife and neighbors think I'm nuts? Yes. Why would I get it? Because it would be a beautiful, beautifully made car with an austere, uncompromising, sporting aesthetic..and a Porsche from old. Maybe it doesn't need the Matter cage, or the PCCB brakes, or the CF hood, or the racing seats, though those have to be OE options. The details are less important than the design focus. There needs to be a car for the anti-shinynewtoy porschephile and not just a 100k GT3. But a regular strength Porsche with the older design aesthetic for all the people that hold onto their older 911s.

I think if Porsche were to build cars that are as pure and consistent with it's heritage as the Elise is for Lotus, Porsche's market would again expand. I'm saying build those as well as the kinds of cars they build now. Why can't Porsche build Porsches for the Shinynewcar buyers and Porsches for buyers of the original aesthetic?

Last edited by FamilyCar; 11-16-2005 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old 11-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my name down for a Cayman RS should it ever happen.
However there must be some doubt about this as Porsche are insistant that nothing else in their range should threaten the sanctity of the 911.
I have to say I find this very short sighted.The advantages of a mid engined layout are obvious for all to see.
I would imagine the engineers at Porsche must be very frustrated,they have this wonderful basis for a historic Sports car and as things stand at the moment it is unlikely to appear.
Imagine a lightened Cayman S with a GT3 engine,it would blow virtually everything out of the water.
We can but dream.
Shane

P.S.I drive a MK2 GT3
Old 11-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Porsche #1 was mid-engined and historically Porsche's bespoke racing cars have been mid-engined cars (First with the 550 of the '50's to the GT1 of the '90's).

The 356's rear engine design was to accomodate the rear seats and increase interior space to make the car a better GT car.

The problem I feel is that Porsch have gotten themselves into a box with the 911 being their high profit, cash cow and they don't want that to change.

I really feel they should make the 911 their GT car and the Cayman their Sports car and expand the brand to include the range from light simple sports cars progressing all the way to luxurious GT cars.

They should also get away from the German class concept that their should be a relation between price and top speed, making the relation more between price and luxury like we do here in the USA.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:40 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

I couldn't agree with you more.
The latest Top Gear TV programme had a report on the Cayman.
Jeremy Clarkson made a very salient point,he likes to buy cars that have been engineered to as good a standard as possible.He said that it was obvious that at the top of the engineers sheet for the Cayman were the words THIS CAR MUST NOT BE ABLE TO BEAT A 911.
This is just a crap way to start.
It is about time that Porsche moved on from the attitude that nothing in their range must threaten the 911.
Shane
Old 11-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Why can't you order a Cayman and strip it yourself. Sell the OEM parts and make some cash back, install seats, delete dash, etc... etc... Lighter weight parts, etc.. etc... White paint, PCCB already ordered, and on and on.

Why do you NEED to but it already like that?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:37 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

From a current Boxster S owner, Shane comments, "Imagine a lightened Cayman S with a GT3 engine, it would blow virtually everything out of the water. We can but dream." I keep imagining, but I still don't see it

Please Porsche listen up. A rear-engined Porsche GT is not in my future. I am too addicted to the mid-engine platform and grew up on cars weighing nearly 1/2 the TT. The TT is a fine and fast high-performance luxury car, but it's not me. Base the price on luxury and let the Cayman do what it's capable of. Build a "basic" Cayman with at least 911 power, and I think there will be a lot of turnover with owners of older cars of all makes looking for a more pure sports car. It doesn't even have to be stripped--just strippable.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

The equation for me is:

Cayman chassis plus GT3 engine (dry sump & Ti rods) plus GT3 gearbox (interchangable ratios and plate type LSD) minus PASM minus PSM minus ABD = Wonderful sports car that would be a world beater.

Now if they would make Air Conditioning a delete option and offer a car with a simple interior and less sound deadening that would be nice too....
Old 11-25-2005, 10:56 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The equation for me is:

Cayman chassis plus GT3 engine (dry sump & Ti rods) plus GT3 gearbox (interchangable ratios and plate type LSD) minus PASM minus PSM minus ABD = Wonderful sports car that would be a world beater.

Now if they would make Air Conditioning a delete option and offer a car with a simple interior and less sound deadening that would be nice too....
That's a great spec. I'm sure RUF can deliver. All it takes is $$$$$$. And I don't mean that to be derogatory towards RUF either.

CP
Old 11-26-2005, 01:09 AM
rushSC
Advanced

Let's say Porsche does not build an RS version of the Cayman...Would it still be possible to get an RS-spec version through the "special wishes" department?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:50 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 574 Likes on 368 Posts

The two limits of the "special whishes" departement are:
- Safety
- The money the customer can spend into the car.
It's from the director of the "special whishes" departement.
So, who's the first to order one?

I also hope Porsche will produce a Cayman CS.
My equation is:
- Lightweight Cayman S without stereo, AC, electric windows, etc.
- PCCB brakes
- LSD
- Tuned chassis.
Not too expensive to produce, easy to homologate and a lot of fun on the track.

Best regards,
Samuel
Old 11-26-2005, 06:12 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Well check this out. Old news but no further peeps. Someone will get their wish.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/57..._blast_in.html
Old 11-26-2005, 06:57 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScottS
Well check this out. Old news but no further peeps. Someone will get their wish.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/57..._blast_in.html
Thats what I want and I want it now. BTW, sports car driver Cort Wagner had ANDIAL build a Boxster with an early GT3 motor. Not an easy conversion, but very potent.

Quick Reply: Cayman Club Sport / RS ?