Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few comments on the Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 10:34 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A few comments on the Cayman S

After a close look at the Cayman S at the Porsche dealer, I still don't get it. The car with basic options is on the $70k, a base 997S has more equipment for just $10k more and you can get it under sticker prices. I sat on both the Cayman and the Boxster, and they look the same. The chassis in my 986 was stiff enough, the car didn't suffer from a floppy chassis, and Porsche made the 987 stiffer and the Cayman even stiffer, but I don't think the average driver will notice the improved performance on a stiffer chassis.

With prices on the 987 Boxster S in the mid to low 50s (big discounts these days), how can a coupe version justify $20k on top of that?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great question. I'm interested to see responses from those who've ordered Caymen -- err -- shouldn't that be "Caypersons"?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you including in your "basic options" to get the price to $70k? Basic options to me result in price around $63000 (bi-xenon, Bose, sport chrono, auto climate control, and heated seats). The Carrera S offers PASM, PCM, bi-xenon, and auto climate included in its “base price,” but other options are going to add to its cost also. Personally I don’t think the PCM is necessary (i.e. I am not willing to pay for it) and I would rather have the ROW sport suspension than the PASM.

While I don’t think the Cayman S is inexpensive…..incremental price arguments are easy make these days because there are so many cars to choose from. However, these same arguments fail to take into account everyone ranks priorities differently with regard to options, performance, style, status, etc. Saying why not spend the additional money for the Carrera S neglects to take into account someone may really like the mid engined car for its driving dynamics or dislike the Carrera because the rear engine configuration or that the additional money is important or a host of other reason.

As for the 987S vs. Cayman....Some people just don't want a convertible (I am one). Not to mention it is unlikely the price difference is going to be $20k (that would mean the discounts on the 987S are around $14k on similarly optioned cars). Most of the ability for a dealer to move on the price is in the base MSRP because there is very little discount room in most options. While I can see the CaymanS being sold at MSRP initially, I just can't see a 55K MSRP Boxster being sold for $41K (if so where can I get one...I could live with the convertible for that type of money).

Last edited by bet; 11-30-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:28 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to mull over my next Pcar and am thinking about a Cayman with basic options in the mid 60's vs. a used 997S for more money. I agree with most of the arguments made by Bet. This would be pretty much be a third car for me so I can live without all the extra options and I like the mid engine platform.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:54 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The car with basic options is on the $70k, a base 997S has more equipment for just $10k more
Not true as I have priced and driven the cars. I am not interested in PASM or PCM so I couldn't get all the cars identically equipped. With the options I want the prices were as follows: Cayman S $66,325; Carrera $79,695; Carrera 4 $85,495; Carrera S $88,660. The cars all have full leather, sport seats, sport wheel, bi-xenon, Bose and some other minor options.

I liked them all but my favorites were the Boxster S (closest to a Cayman I could drive) and Carrera 4. I am more interested in handling than acceleration. If I weren't, I would keep my C6 Corvette. For an enthusiast driver looking for an engaging driving experience the Cayman S is a real bargain and the best handling car in the line according to all the magazines that have tested it.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted a new mid-engined Porsche coupe that I could stiffen the shocks and remap throttle response for autocross and track at the press of a button. I also wanted it to be more powerful and quicker than my RSA. The only car that Porsche offers that fits those specs is the Cayman, so that's what I ordered. Except for metallic paint, I ordered only performance-related options (it's a sports car) and got a total price under $65k. My friend ordered one with PASM and Sport Chrono for less than $62k. He already has a Boxster. After seeing it, driving it, and having my judgment questioned, I still think I made the right choice. BTW, NJ-GT, the last coupe I seriously considered was the '04 GT3, but I read complaints about the gearing being wrong, alignment (won't say put), brake cooling, and bent sway bar links.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:22 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

I get it, and I got it. Well equipped with performance items for under $70K. Better performance than a 993 and more up to date features, as fast as a 997 base, faster on the track according to many publications and in my opinion better looking than a 997. Did i forget to mention that it's a Porsche too. Lets see now.....whats not to get?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:26 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

From the above posts I take that the real price gap between 997S and Cayman S is really $13K and not $20K as the base MSRP suggests.
I don;t want a Toy car, I alreaady have one. I want a proper 21st century car.
Obviosuly if its only a toy - weekend coasional car you can leave out some options, but I just don't get why someone can order one as a daily driver without Navigation and heated seats (unless you live in non-winter states)?

It's funny but knowing that the one I want (with the options I need) will be $70K+ makes me hesitate and reluctantly forces me to agree with J Clarkson when he says that Porsche just didn't do the best it could with the Cayman b/c of the desire to target the market gap (between the Boxster S and Carrera).

I would gladly pay Carrera S money for a Cayman with the best Porsche engine this side of a GT3 spec.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by cgomez
From the above posts I take that the real price gap between 997S and Cayman S is really $13K and not $20K as the base MSRP suggests...I just don't get why someone can order one as a daily driver without Navigation and heated seats (unless you live in non-winter states)?
If you are going to put 19" wheels, PCM. PASM, rain sensing wipers, etc. on the Cayman you are right about the price difference. The Carrera S doesn't come with Nav and it will cost you another $2,070. The way I change cars, I bought a Garmin that I move from car to car when I need it. I can also take it inside and program a trip at my desk before I hit the road. Not as pretty as a built in screen but more functional and a lot cheaper than putting Nav in every car I buy.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:35 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
If you are going to put 19" wheels, PCM. PASM, rain sensing wipers, etc. on the Cayman you are right about the price difference. The Carrera S doesn't come with Nav and it will cost you another $2,070. The way I change cars, I bought a Garmin that I move from car to car when I need it. I can also take it inside and program a trip at my desk before I hit the road. Not as pretty as a built in screen but more functional and a lot cheaper than putting Nav in every car I buy.
BiggerTwin, don't take it the wrong ways but it's worth a lesson in Corporate Finance: Don't be fooled by the total price of the option, specially expensive, but useful stuff like Satnav. When you lease or even buy, you only pay for the depreciation. So say in a 3 year lease you are only paying for 35-40% of the cost of the SatNav. (i.e $700 over 3 years and financed at the same rate as the car!!! - I bet much cheaper than your Garmin).
And if you trade cars that fast, you are probably loosing 10 Satnavs at a time in evry trqade in depreciation!
I just don't get it when people go hundred dollar cheap buying $70K+ cars
Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

I think the Cayman is different enough to stand on its own. If you a nickel and diming about which to buy that would be a mistake. If you don't get it don't buy one. I think Porsche is right - I don't expect it to hurt 997 sales.

What I want and would pay more for is the Carrera S motor in the Boxster / Cayman. I prefer the mid engine enough to be happy with my 987S until they do. And if I could get the TT motor.. AAAH.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:07 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by cgomez
BiggerTwin, don't take it the wrong...you only pay for the depreciation. So say in a 3 year lease you are only paying for 35-40% of the cost of the SatNav
I didn't and I make the same point to people who complain about the high purchase price of a Harley compared to a Japanese motorcycle. Higher resale can make the more expensive vehicle cheaper to own in the long run if you can afford the initial price of admission.

I don't find a built-in Nav system something I really care about and I try to avoid i-drive and other screens in my cars. I find pressing a radio button easier to do with my eyes on the road than having to look at a touch screen to change radio stations. I hardly use the Garmin but it is nice to know it is in the trunk when I want it. I think your residuals are a bit high but even at 60% three $2,000 Nav systems would cost $2,400 while my Garmin was $800. The time I find navigation most useful is when I rent a car out of town and a portable unit is nice to have. If I wanted built in Nav I would have ordered it. At these prices we should get what we want. My biggest regret in the Cayman is that I wanted more leather but the options weren't available when my order was locked in by the factory. All that interior trim is just added depreciation but it is something I will enjoy when I am in the car. If the Carrera S better suits your needs, good luck and enjoy it. You can plug my address into your PCM with Nav and drive by so I can admire your car.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:45 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarsRGood
What I want and would pay more for is the Carrera S motor in the Boxster / Cayman. I prefer the mid engine enough to be happy with my 987S until they do. And if I could get the TT motor.. AAAH.
Same... and prepared to wait it out. Only time will tell.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Drive the Cayman drive the new Z06. Say hello Z06! And you can get a part for it on the weekend. Also, 5 years from now part prices won't have increased 50-100%.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 PM
mark34
Track Day

While the Z06 is the nuts in most performance measures, I sat in one at a car show recently. It's still a Corvette. While that is great for some people, it just doesn't do it for me. If I only drove it occasionally to rip and roar, then I could could see getting one. I think I would tire of it in a week if I had to drive it every day. Certainly the interior is better than the 1980's Vettes, it's still feels like a rental car.

Quick Reply: A few comments on the Cayman S