Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few comments on the Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006 | 01:29 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Didn't anyone see the Motorweek piece on the Cayman? I think these guys are straight up paid by the car builders to tell the public what the brand wants the public to believe.
They were saying that the CaymanS is a low priced option to the 911. And made zero mention to its mid engine lay out. The funny part was that they were claiming that the CaymanS is a whole $12,000 less! Does that make sense to anyone? Spending nearly $70K for a sprtscar with nothing approaching 500HP doesn't sound like a choice based on saving a few dollars.
I guess this is Porsche's stand, maybe they are trying to emualte the BMW 3,5,6,7 series hierarchy.
They also made not a single mention of the fact that the CaymanS was setting quicker laptimes than the 997.
Its almost as bad as that Speed Channel show where they take a car to the track and say nothing but glowing comments.
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:57 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Base Cayman + a few options + Ruf 3.8L installation = slightly over $100k minus the resale value of a new 295hp 3.4L Cayman S engine = ???
Base Cayman + a few options + Ruf 3.8L installation = slightly over $100k minus the resale value of a new 295hp 3.4L Cayman S engine = slightly under $100k

Old 01-03-2006 | 02:34 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Didn't anyone see the Motorweek piece on the Cayman? I think these guys are straight up paid by the car builders to tell the public what the brand wants the public to believe.
I wonder if they even drove it. They didn't test it in the USA like they do the other cars they report on and it seemed they just read Road and Track and reported their 0-60 time.

As for the BMW hierarchy, recent threads on a BMW board show that 3 Series drivers aren’t young kids who can’t afford 5s or 7s. Many 3 Series drivers are older and can afford more expensive cars; we just like driving the 3 more. I think the Cayman will play to a similar cross section and not be the poorer younger person’s car Porsche marketing thinks it will be.

Alan
Old 01-03-2006 | 03:52 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Alan: Self-reported ages of Cayman owners (UK), waiters, and gonna orderers at the caymanclub.net site averaged 43.4 years when the number reporting was 45 a few days ago. Sixteen were 39 and under, but 29 were 40 and over. The youngest is under 20, and the oldest is 74. Thus, your hunch is borne out by that data. Someone had said at another site, "The Cayman is going to sell well to the youth trading in their Minis."
Old 01-03-2006 | 04:36 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Someone had said at another site, "The Cayman is going to sell well to the youth trading in their Minis."
Who says you have to young to own a mini? I'm 40+ and have big smile everytime I drive my Cooper S JCW.

Let's Motor!
Old 01-03-2006 | 05:06 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

I had been considering a new 997S as the successor to my 993 until I started reading all the Cayman reports & saw one "in the flesh." If I decide to buy a Cayman S (now only dependent on a test drive), my decision will not be based on cost, but on which car is best for my individual needs - the Cayman S or (keeping) my 993. The 997S is no longer in the running.

I think Porsche has seriously underestimated the Cayman's 911 cannibalization rate & the economic/age level of its buyers.
Old 01-03-2006 | 05:24 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Atta boy, Dan.

Zumaron: Yes, that guy missed the boat in two ways. That's why I quoted it. I see mostly middle-aged guys in Minis. My wife wants me to sell my M3 and get a Mini because she much enjoyed the '64 Mini Cooper S we autocrossed 35 years ago.
Old 01-03-2006 | 05:51 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
I think Porsche has seriously underestimated the Cayman's 911 cannibalization rate & the economic/age level of its buyers.
Agree wholeheartedly! The Cayman certainly got my attention. However, I'm staying the course with the 997S for now. My tendency is to avoid 1st model year vehicles and wait for the product to mature a bit.

Jim --
Yes indeed -- It's a BIG leap from a Mini Cooper S to the Cayman S in terms of $$. I'd like to read the article to ensure we've got the context of his quote.
Old 01-03-2006 | 07:06 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

So how do low mileage well optioned 997's selling in the low to mid 60's fit this equation?
Jack

Last edited by pedsurg; 01-03-2006 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:44 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Jack: I forgot what the equation was, but a low mileage well optioned 997 for the same price would be a more attractive option for someone wanting a bit more power, a rear engine, and rear seats over a new car with desired options, mid-engine handling, and a bit more luggage space.

Zumaron: I jotted down that quote from a Cayman shark-feeding frenzy at rennteam.com over a month ago. I jotted down others that I'm keeping until needed. Maybe some day I can use: "... the real thing you get is a Boxster S with a fixed roof for more money." I'll determine if that's true in about two weeks.
Old 01-03-2006 | 09:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

the real thing you get is a Boxster S with a fixed roof for more money

personally i would not take 997 over cayman, 997S maybe.

i used to wait for 2nd or 3rd year models. now i am too lazy to wait. i will get one of the first batch, then get another one later if it is as good as i think it is ;-)
Old 01-03-2006 | 10:06 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I think plenty of people would balk at paying more for the hard top than for the soft top of the same model.
Old 01-03-2006 | 10:15 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I think plenty of people would balk at paying more for the hard top than for the soft top of the same model.

however, cayman is SIMILIAR to box S but really not same car. if you look at base price, they differ by $4200. for that amount of money you get rigidity and a slightly bigger motor with varioram (or was it variocam).... i think that's not bad, no?

it's just a different car... have fun with it, dont be too serious to rank what is the BEST. i used to do that. Given that up long ago.

i do think it's priced a tad high, but then so is every car now days. honda accords used to be literally FREE. now the one's with GPS are closing in on $30k...

cheers,
Old 01-04-2006 | 12:19 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
however, cayman is SIMILIAR to box S but really not same car. if you look at base price, they differ by $4200
Ignoring other differences, which themselves might be enough to support the price difference, the Cayman S costs roughly $300 per hp more than the Boxster S. Not too bad for oem Porsche horses.
Old 01-04-2006 | 12:50 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

the Cayman S costs roughly $300 per hp more than the Boxster S
_______
good pt. never thought of it that way. quite a bargain then.

Quick Reply: A few comments on the Cayman S