Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche® Reveals Details About the New Boxster® for 2005

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche® Reveals Details About the New Boxster® for 2005

First Major Makeover in Model's Eight-Year History

ATLANTA, GA, Sept. 7, 2004 - Porsche today disclosed the first information available on its 2005 entry level sports car, the Boxster, and its higher performing stable mate, the Boxster S. For 2005, both models feature significant styling changes, more powerful engines, numerous handling enhancements, and greater active and passive safety. All are designed to offer even more driving pleasure from the mid-engine roadsters - the acknowledged leaders in their sports car segment. This all comes at value-driven prices that will make the new Boxster models even more competitive in their class.

Bolder Styling

These next generation Boxsters are more mature sports cars. This is characterized by bolder yet more refined exterior styling that is highlighted by larger front and side air intakes, new head and front lamp treatments, more aggressive doorsills, and larger side widows.

More Power

While the size of the Boxster's 2.7-liter and the Boxster S's 3.2-liter flat-six cylinder engines remain unchanged, both have significant horsepower increases. The Boxster jumps from 225 to 240 horsepower (SAE), while the Boxster S leaps from 258 to 280 horsepower (SAE) and is the most powerful engine yet offered in the Boxster model line. The result is a faster top track speed of 159 mph (256 km/h) for the Boxster and 166 mph (268 km/h) for the Boxster S. The Boxster accelerates from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 5.9 seconds while the Boxster S achieves it in 5.2 seconds.

These engines are mated to a revised five-speed manual transmission in the Boxster and a new six-speed manual gearbox in the Boxster S. Both models can still be equipped with the optional five-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission system.

Better Handling

Benchmark superior handling on both previous Boxster models has been further enhanced with the addition of variable ratio power steering, improved chassis and body stiffness, wider wheel alignment, and larger wheels and tires. The Boxster and Boxster S now have standard 17-inch and 18-inch wheels and tires, respectively, but both can be fitted with optional 19-inch wheels and tires.

Enhanced Safety

The Boxster and Boxster S are the first roadsters in the world to help protect occupants against lateral impact through the use of dedicated head airbags. In combination with thorax airbags, which are concealed on the outer side of the seatbacks, the head airbags deploy from the side window rails in the doors, helping to provide a high level of head protection.

Active safety on the two Boxster models is increased by optimizing the braking system and by adding the Porsche Stability Management system (PSM) as standard equipment. PSM can stabilize the car in severe understeer and oversteer conditions by braking the appropriate wheel or wheels, and, if necessary, intervening through engine management.

Greater Value

The 2005 Boxster and Boxster S will be introduced to the United States on January 15, 2005 at a price of $43,800 US for the Boxster and $53,100 US for the Boxster S. With such features as PSM and larger wheels and tires now standard on both models, these prices are significantly less than those of their comparably equipped predecessors.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:21 PM
PJXJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, lookin' good... I just came to post this 13 minute old link from Reuters UK.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...2&section=news
Old 09-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn...280 in the Boxster S. Now we're talkin'.

The Porsche press photos (I'm assuming that's what these are?) have never made the new interiors look inviting. I sat in the new 911 over the weekend and I have to say overall I loved it. I hope the new Boxster interior gives me the same feeling, because the picture looks like...blech.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:30 PM
ettsn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to find out what we need to do to our 3.2 engines to develop 280bhp!

-Paul
Old 09-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe this bigger picture helps?

Old 09-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viken
Maybe this bigger picture helps?
Yes, thanks! Do you have the others larger?

Old 09-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main problemn I have with the interiors is the steering wheel. And the PCM screen is intrusive (wonder if there will be a GT3 console delete option here?).

Overall, it seems very similar to the 997 interior. The 997 looks better to me in person than in photos. Plus, it would probably look better in a darker color.

Rumor has it the Boxster coupe is not far from being unveiled, too!
Old 09-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Yes, thanks! Do you have the others larger?
Yes, I just emailed you all four.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean
The main problemn I have with the interiors is the steering wheel. And the PCM screen is intrusive (wonder if there will be a GT3 console delete option here?).
My understanding is everything is tied into that screen, so don't look for a delete option (unless you're buying a race car!). I'm not a big fan of it either, but I suppose if it has to be there. And no, I'm not a big fan of the steering wheels, either.

I can't wait to see a coupe in person. I think that may be my next Porsche. Unless I see an old 911 I can't resist!
Old 09-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm sure that there will be a sportier 3-spoke steering option as in the 997. Perhaps, the Boxster S will even have it as standard.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viken
Yes, I just emailed you all four.
NICE!

THANKS!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I like that front end (especially the lights) much better than the 997's. I can hardly wait for the coupe to appear.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine a Club Sport coupe. Mid-engine balance, coupe rigidity, and lightweight engineering (no insulation, sound deadening material, etc.). Maybe with the 280HP S engine. It could be coming!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sean
Imagine a Club Sport coupe. Mid-engine balance, coupe rigidity, and lightweight engineering (no insulation, sound deadening material, etc.). Maybe with the 280HP S engine. It could be coming!
That's what I'm talking about! That will be my next car!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

wow I really really like the evolution of the Boxster series. I'm a fan of the old styling but this new one is very appealing like the 997; go Porsche!

Andy

Quick Reply: Porsche® Reveals Details About the New Boxster® for 2005