Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Plenum and TB fit question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 11:04 AM
Slim987
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Default IPD Plenum and TB fit question

For the 987.2 Cayman folks, particularly the 3.4L (S), has anyone experienced issues when installing the IPD plenum and GT3 TB where it hits the engine bay lip (body) when going over bumps ?
Old 08-22-2022, 11:00 AM
jellbob55
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same mod (IPD competition plenum, 82mm TB) to my 2009 987.2 S PDK a few months ago (it also has Soul Performance headers). I'm not aware of any interference issues (but I did not do the work myself). But, I'd like to ask if you're aware of any issues with the mod and the car going into limp mode because of it (when running on the track), specifically for PDK cars. I was told that by the Softronic guys (after I had already done the mod). I'm scheduled to run the car for the first time with the mods at my local track on 9/3.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:11 AM
fouckhest
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jellbob55
I did the same mod (IPD competition plenum, 82mm TB) to my 2009 987.2 S PDK a few months ago (it also has Soul Performance headers). I'm not aware of any interference issues (but I did not do the work myself). But, I'd like to ask if you're aware of any issues with the mod and the car going into limp mode because of it (when running on the track), specifically for PDK cars. I was told that by the Softronic guys (after I had already done the mod). I'm scheduled to run the car for the first time with the mods at my local track on 9/3.
I was told the same thing, very curious to know if you experience any issues; this was on my list of mods until I received that bit of feedback.

thanks!
Old 08-25-2022, 07:58 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

I put the set up on my 2.7 2008 cayman and i did not experience any issues. Softronics (crappy support from them.. not a fan) told me to take it back off because it was hurting my performance. so i did but i didn't feel any difference with it or experience any interference with it hitting anything in the bay.. or going into limp mode. kinda felt it was a waste of $1200...

Old 08-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 198 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
I put the set up on my 2.7 2008 cayman and i did not experience any issues. Softronics (crappy support from them.. not a fan) told me to take it back off because it was hurting my performance. so i did but i didn't feel any difference with it or experience any interference with it hitting anything in the bay.. or going into limp mode. kinda felt it was a waste of $1200...
Hello,
We would have recommended removing the 82mm TB if you installed it as its to large for the 2.7 a 4.0 ok. Its simple math on the engine size , cylinders and RPM.... The TB is sized to an engine in those regards so larger isn't always better as the air velocity slows down with a larger TB in and would increase with a smaller one from stock. Larger generally gives you some extra HP at the very top yet looses below and the opposite would apply with a smaller one. Porsche as a rule sizes the TB's on the larger side . TB's work like choke tubes on a carburetor and velocity stacks.
Limp mode has been an issue for years in PDK cars and nothing new yet mainly happens with an exhaust and tune also when driven hard. The faults that come with it are P1095 and or P1094 and have had more customers then I can think of having it. The plenum though on a 987.1 does offer some benefits over the stock yet not adding a larger TB.

Best,
Scott

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:17 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello,
We would have recommended removing the 82mm TB if you installed it as its to large for the 2.7 a 4.0 ok. Its simple math on the engine size , cylinders and RPM.... The TB is sized to an engine in those regards so larger isn't always better as the air velocity slows down with a larger TB in and would increase with a smaller one from stock. Larger generally gives you some extra HP at the very top yet looses below and the opposite would apply with a smaller one. Porsche as a rule sizes the TB's on the larger side . TB's work like choke tubes on a carburetor and velocity stacks.
Limp mode has been an issue for years in PDK cars and nothing new yet mainly happens with an exhaust and tune also when driven hard. The faults that come with it are P1095 and or P1094 and have had more customers then I can think of having it. The plenum though on a 987.1 does offer some benefits over the stock yet not adding a larger TB.

Best,
Scott
No argument here on the throttle body. your being bothered by asking why my engine light comes on after an exhaust and loading your tune.. pretty crappy customer service "take it in and get it scanned then get back with me" not what i expected from you. By the way i did (have the scanned data printed out) and they told me the tune doesn't like that i have not cats. Again not a fan

Last edited by ttt123; 08-25-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:58 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No argument here on the throttle body. your being bothered by asking why my engine light comes on after an exhaust and loading your tune.. pretty crappy customer service "take it in and get it scanned then get back with me" not what i expected from you. By the way i did (have the scanned data printed out) and they told me the tune doesn't like that i have not cats. Again not a fan
Well sorry for that yet I would need to know what the faults are as just getting a fault after the flash wouldn't be an issue with it and it sounds like you had a tune for emissions yet had no cats? So did you put CATs on the car or get a tune for that?

Best,
Scott
Old 08-25-2022, 11:09 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Well sorry for that yet I would need to know what the faults are as just getting a fault after the flash wouldn't be an issue with it and it sounds like you had a tune for emissions yet had no cats? So did you put CATs on the car or get a tune for that?

Best,
Scott
You double checked my order to make sure your tune was for no cats. I've already paid another $1300 to have a local shop deal with it. I'm to old to haggle with companies who don't treat there customers right. I didn't bash you or your company just stated I'm not a fan and will not recommend anyone to go through you. which is crazy because I asked a ton of people about you before I went with your tune and everyone said you (scott) was great to work with yet you didn't even want to help me trouble shoot some basics before having to take it to a mechanic and having to fork out the money. I still have our emails in which I even asked you if I was bothering you because i asked for help cuz you were so short with me. but I'm not here to hijack this thread or rip on you.. just not happy with how you treated me at all. I will go else where next time.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:25 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You double checked my order to make sure your tune was for no cats. I've already paid another $1300 to have a local shop deal with it. I'm to old to haggle with companies who don't treat there customers right. I didn't bash you or your company just stated I'm not a fan and will not recommend anyone to go through you. which is crazy because I asked a ton of people about you before I went with your tune and everyone said you (scott) was great to work with yet you didn't even want to help me trouble shoot some basics before having to take it to a mechanic and having to fork out the money. I still have our emails in which I even asked you if I was bothering you because i asked for help cuz you were so short with me. but I'm not here to hijack this thread or rip on you.. just not happy with how you treated me at all. I will go else where next time.
OK so it sounds like I did make it for cat less yet not sure what the CEL was for then as I cant think of a car getting a CEL from a flash unless it was for CAT's and didn't have them or from a to large TB etc in which you swapped out. The faults for a cat less would be P0420,P0430, P0421 or P0431 any other faults for O2's etc would be from an issue with them or from headers not correctly positioning them in which should be fixed and not deleted as you can harm the engine . . Im assuming without the other information they deleted other faults? can you post what they were or send me an email? Just asking .....

Best,
Scott
Old 08-25-2022, 11:39 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

OK so it sounds like I did make it for cat less yet not sure what the CEL was for then as I cant think of a car getting a CEL from a flash unless it was for CAT's and didn't have them or from a to large TB etc in which you swapped out. The faults for a cat less would be P0420,P0430, P0421 or P0431 any other faults for O2's etc would be from an issue with them or from headers not correctly positioning them in which should be fixed and not deleted as you can harm the engine . . Im assuming without the other information they deleted other faults? can you post what they were or send me an email? Just asking .....

Best,
Scott
I have long tube race headers which i said in my email. the shop in waterford who dealt with it mentioned something about 02 sensors. either way its a done deal now and the trouble shooting is what i wish you would have done then instead of just telling me to take it somewhere not now after the extra $1300 i spent. I can build a full exhaust from scratch and could have easily did any mods needed per your suggestions to trouble shoot then not now. anyway we are taking up some ones thread. plenty like your service and great for them I'm the one who caught you on a bad day i guess.... my loss your gain
Old 08-25-2022, 11:48 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have long tube race headers which i said in my email. the shop in waterford who dealt with it mentioned something about 02 sensors. either way its a done deal now and the trouble shooting is what i wish you would have done then instead of just telling me to take it somewhere not now after the extra $1300 i spent. I can build a full exhaust from scratch and could have easily did any mods needed per your suggestions to trouble shoot then not now. anyway we are taking up some ones thread. plenty like your service and great for them I'm the one who caught you on a bad day i guess.... my loss your gain
OK sorry yet I do ask everyone what the fault codes are so I can then try to figure out what the problem is otherwise its all just guessing. I agree about the thread and move on.

Best,
Scott
Old 08-25-2022, 01:12 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts
Default TB interference

Originally Posted by Slim987
For the 987.2 Cayman folks, particularly the 3.4L (S), has anyone experienced issues when installing the IPD plenum and GT3 TB where it hits the engine bay lip (body) when going over bumps ?
Have the same setup on 2010 S. Exactly when does the sound occur? Heavy, hard bump? Jounce? Rebound? Both? Also, any other symptoms? When I first got the car it did have an issue with a loud screech on hard, heavy bumps. Turns out the PO had spacers all around, and the rears were 1MM too thick. Replaced with a thinner set and that issue disappeared. Can you see/take a pic of where the interference is and I'll try to compare it to mine next time it's on a lift?

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum and TB fit question