Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Porsche Cayman Door Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 03:02 PM
mrod63
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 Porsche Cayman Door Lock Issues

Good Day All
I have an issues with the door lock, it seems that manually the cylinder will not move either left or right I added DW40 just in case thru the key slot but nothing.
The key works perfect in the ignition and the remote opens all doors, But my dilemma is that if i needed to manually open the car I would like to have that option.
So can I buy a used door handle with a cylinder attached and re-key that cylinder would that be a simple cost effective way(would any type of programming be needed to just replace Key cylinder like that.=
If I cant do that would anyone have any idea what this would cost at he dealer to be done ?(last place I like to go unless I have no choice).
All your suggestion will be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:42 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

have you tried the other lock? assuming the car has one on the passenger side.if so, it should be a good test (not perfect) as to whether or not it's a physical key issue.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:53 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

I doubt you need a new lock cylinder, or at least I would want the old one on a bench to confirm its broken.
I have no advice for what the potential issue could be, but will tell you: be prepared to get frustrated if you tackle this yourself. Its a fiddly, frustrating process to link all the pieces together to remove and reinstall.
The following users liked this post:
TMc993 (09-14-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 06:36 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

Does the lock cylinder not rotate or does it rotate and nothing happens? Mine was the latter. The article linked below discusses how I resolved the problem. Regardless, the article will discuss how to get the door handle apart so you can see what is up. You absolutely need to get this fixed or when you have a dead battery, you are screwed.

https://newhillgarage.com/2021/08/22...-s-door-locks/

Old 09-19-2021, 04:51 PM
mrod63
Intermediate

Guys
Thank you all for responding been away for a few days and could not get to this.
1. The car has only one door with Lock the driver side
2. The lock cylinder does not Rotate at all its sort of frozen (it wont move right or left) The locks work and everything works BUT the cylinder does not rotate either way
I read the article above but its seems they are able to rotate in that article, I cant not rotate at all its frozen

Last edited by mrod63; 09-19-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:19 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
You absolutely need to get this fixed or when you have a dead battery, you are screwed.
Not necessarily, his key works in the passenger side, so he can still get in the car. That said, is there any possibility that the previous owner had to replace the driver side lock cylinder and since it worked with the fob and he still had key access via the passenger door, didn't bother to have the new lock cylinder keyed to match the original locks? If you know the previous owner, you might want to ask.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:44 PM
Hokie987.1
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Not necessarily, his key works in the passenger side, so he can still get in the car. That said, is there any possibility that the previous owner had to replace the driver side lock cylinder and since it worked with the fob and he still had key access via the passenger door, didn't bother to have the new lock cylinder keyed to match the original locks? If you know the previous owner, you might want to ask.
No, he said he does not have a lock cylinder on the passenger side. My car only has a lock cylinder on the drivers side only also. I actually went and checked that my key does actually work, which it did thankfully.

Last edited by Hokie987.1; 09-19-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:57 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

if you aren't the original owner and you have never used the key to open the door, (i know i haven't ever used the key to unlock my cayman.) i might suspect that the key doesn't fit the lock. for instance, a previous owner may have installed a new or used door handle/lock and didn't get the matching key. or (less likely) someone installed a new ignition switch and never thought to provide the old door key when they sold the car.

...OTOH, it might just be stuck from corrosion and/or lack of use. .

and i'm going to make a point of manually locking and unlocking every lock on the car the next time out.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 09-20-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:42 PM
mrod63
Intermediate

Guys
Ok now I am starting to think when you guys mentioned that the key may not match the only door lock cylinder on the car.
That could be the issue at this point Hmmm because that thing is stiff as a door nail, but I will eventually remove the door panel and just look to see if anything look out of the norm.
I did hit the actual cylinder with dw40 a while back unless the corrosion due to no use is thick
But anyway I will update you all on what exactly it was once I get in that door panel and look around
Again thank you all for the quick responses and suggestions
Old 09-20-2021, 10:13 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

I doubt that you or any of us could visually spot a problem. It might be worth stopping in at a locksmith and letting them feel things out, professionally so to speak. I bet they can tell the difference between corrosion and a bad key. And BTW, WD40 is not effective in removing corrosion. I like Kroil but PBBlaster is also good.

So small world department but my daughter called this weekend and told us how she locked her keys in her 2016 VW Jetta Sportwagon. She had her husband jog over with their backup keys. Well, it turns out that VW "hides" a small key in the remote fob. And then they "hide" the access for the key in the door handle, under a plastic cover. She knows this now, not that it would have helped her particular situation. I have suggested she get a copy of the metal key and stash it outside the car somewhere. It's really got me to thinking about how to deal with lockout issues on all my cars. I don't own anything that doesn't have some sort of physical key so I'm not sure how this works on fully electronic entry on newer cars, when the car battery or the key fob battery dies. Something for all of us to ponder.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:17 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

... I'm not sure how this works on fully electronic entry on newer cars, when the car battery or the key fob battery dies. Something for all of us to ponder.
I have a 981 Cayman. Cabin, frunk, and rear compartment access are all fully electronic, even from the switches inside the car. If the car battery fails so completely that the fob won't unlock the cabin door, you're in for an experience. To get to the battery, you must jack up the left front wheel (Keep in mind that the car's jack is locked in the frunk so you'll need another jack to do this) , remove the wheel, loosen the wheel well liner, reach under the liner and pull a small cable that activates the frunk latch.

As for fob batteries, my "solution" is to change all of our fob batteries once a year. I used to put the date on a calendar but now I've got it programmed into the calendar on my phone as a annual event.
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:04 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

... I have suggested she get a copy of the metal key and stash it outside the car somewhere. ...
...working on a little project (i'm an amateur inventor!) for just such a situation. it looks like this:

i think i'm going to make a bundle on it. ...fingers crossed.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 09-20-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:34 PM
mrod63
Intermediate

Guys
To tell you the truth this is my first car with FOB and all that new stuff, My current cars are fully restored BMW 1990 525i that I have had since 2000 and my 1969 Triumph Spitfire that I have had since 1998.
Before that I had a 1974 Karmann Ghia I have to say all my cars have always been simple no major electronic
I have had to learn mechanics because I have experienced so many shops that will turn me away saying (our mechanics only work on cars that have OBD ports)
I figured this Porsche isn't as complicated as the Brand new ones which don't even have a manual stick its all paddles now.I heard you could request stick on some models but its like (are you sure you want that )
Old 09-20-2021, 02:49 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

@hueyhoolihan The biggest problem is where to stick it. We used to put those magnetic ones inside our gascap lids but of course the bad guys figured that out pretty quick and now the lid locks along with the rest of the car. Don't tell anyone but I currently have my spare metal key taped to the back side of my license plate. I figure having to bend the edge of the license plate into a V is less of a deal than calling a locksmith.

I do have to admire the guy that came up with the realistic pile of dog poop that has a space for your house key built into it. Although with 2 dogs, I have to be careful which poop pile I go after
Old 09-20-2021, 02:59 PM
mrod63
Intermediate

laughing badly

Last edited by mrod63; 11-04-2021 at 02:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Porsche Cayman Door Lock Issues