Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 11:47 AM
KevinThe987
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X pipe advice?

Hello fellow financial mistake (my affectionate nickname for my car) owners! So I've been looking at after market exhausts and uh... can't really afford them since I'm a 17 year old who got very lucky and found a beyond reasonably priced example of a cayman S. Any advice on exhaust is welcome, but specifically I'd like to ask about x pipes. I guess OEM is a T pipe? I don't have the PSE system so I'd like to do something to make it sound a bit better and maybe increase the volume just a bit. What difference would an x pipe make here? It changes sound from what I've seen, but does it increase volume at all (not obnoxiously but just noticeably)? Does anyone run a Soul X pipe by itself, and if so could I get a video for comparison purposes? Also, I know that this is down to personal preference but on a midnight blue car would I be better off going with a grey or black metal? I'd assume I would want to color coordinate with my wheels but I don't know. Pics below

Last edited by KevinThe987; 01-04-2022 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Not sure if it matters, but is an S
Old 01-04-2022, 12:11 PM
Julian_KCMO
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 59 Posts

Have you tried gapping the top crossover pipe yet? If you look up under the bumper you can see where the top crossover pipe has a sleeve joiner. If you undo the bolts you can slide the sleeve over to expose the gap between the two parts of the system. Thats cheap method for more noise

Cheers,
Julian.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:25 PM
KevinThe987
Track Day

Originally Posted by Julian_KCMO
Have you tried gapping the top crossover pipe yet? If you look up under the bumper you can see where the top crossover pipe has a sleeve joiner. If you undo the bolts you can slide the sleeve over to expose the gap between the two parts of the system. Thats cheap method for more noise

Cheers,
Julian.
Thanks Julian, I have not! Might have to try that. Is it raw sound though? I'd like to stay classy if possible. Classy is a bit opinionated, I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to sound like a straight piped Honda Civic. Nothing against that at all of course, just not my thing! Also my other draw to a replacement pipe is the look. I definitely prefer dual exhaust as opposed to the what I've heard described as snout that comes OEM. Im willing to spend a bit, just not $2000 at the moment.

Last edited by KevinThe987; 01-04-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Julian_KCMO
Racer

Originally Posted by KevinThe987
Thanks Julian, I have not! Might have to try that. Is it raw sound though? I'd like to stay classy if possible. Classy is a bit opinionated, I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to sound like a straight piped Honda Civic. Nothing against that at all of course, just not my thing! Also my other draw to a replacement pipe is the look. I definitely prefer dual exhaust as opposed to the what I've heard described as snout that comes OEM. Im willing to spend a bit, just not $2000 at the moment.
It's not "straight piping" the exhaust, the gases still do a partial trip through the system but there's definitely more sound (I think it's fine, mine stays like this). It doesn't sound like a GT3 yet of course....
Old 01-04-2022, 01:01 PM
KevinThe987
Track Day

It's not "straight piping" the exhaust, the gases still do a partial trip through the system but there's definitely more sound (I think it's fine, mine stays like this). It doesn't sound like a GT3 yet of course....
Ok awesome! I know little about exhaust, sorry! Currently researching. I'll definitely try this then, have you ever had a tip fall off though? I'd imagine as long as you tighten it enough it wouldn't be an issue, right?
Old 01-04-2022, 01:14 PM
Julian_KCMO
Racer

You leave the outlet "T" in place and tight, it the upper crossover you loosen and slide over.
you can see it in this photo, on my car I was able to do this without removing the bumper or anything

Old 01-04-2022, 01:16 PM
KevinThe987
Track Day

You leave the outlet "T" in place and tight, it the upper crossover you loosen and slide over.
you can see it in this photo, on my car I was able to do this without removing the bumper or anything
Gotcha, sweet! I'll try it out and let you know how it works. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2022, 01:41 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 273 Posts

I'm not sure that's a great idea. You don't want exhaust coming out under the car, you can potentially get fumes and carbon monoxide sucked forward that way.

X-tip would potentially change the tone a bit but wouldn't make a huge difference. Given that they're like $3-400 just for the tips you'd probably be better off saving up and putting the money towards a full exhaust.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:49 PM
KevinThe987
Track Day

Originally Posted by MrMoose
I'm not sure that's a great idea. You don't want exhaust coming out under the car, you can potentially get fumes and carbon monoxide sucked forward that way.

X-tip would potentially change the tone a bit but wouldn't make a huge difference. Given that they're like $3-400 just for the tips you'd probably be better off saving up and putting the money towards a full exhaust.
Makes sense. I'm not looking for a huge difference to be honest. Odds are soon I'll be in an environment where I can't have a loud exhaust, and the more I think about it I want to keep it as stock as possible for when I inevitably have to sell the car. Main concern right now is cosmetic, I guess that is a decent chunk of change for something decorative though. My other option I was considering was trying to buy a use PSE. Do you know where I could look for one? I can't find them anywhere.

thanks,

rowan
Old 01-04-2022, 02:27 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 273 Posts

Well, Suncoast Parts has the PSE new but it's $3400 For used you'd probably have to check eBay or the classifieds. Keep in mind that you'll also need to get the button to activate it, and also probably get it coded by a dealer.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't know what you could possibly do to make that sweet Flat6 sing like a Civic. Or put another way, I don't think I have ever heard a Flat6 sound anything but glorious, unless I couldn't hear it at all, OR someone really did a hack to one.

So you are on a budget but you want the P-symphony for your sweet new to you ride? I suggest Carnewal it!
It's the poor man's PSE (without the valve)

Edit:

https://youtu.be/Y58AUyeK2uw

Last edited by Snakebit; 01-04-2022 at 04:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snakebit:
KevinThe987 (01-04-2022), KrisA (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 03:27 PM
KevinThe987
Track Day

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Well, Suncoast Parts has the PSE new but it's $3400 For used you'd probably have to check eBay or the classifieds. Keep in mind that you'll also need to get the button to activate it, and also probably get it coded by a dealer.
Oh boy, yeah I definitely would want a used one then. My thought was wire it to the sport button, seems like it'd be simple enough. Then again would I need an ECU tune for that? Maybe it'd be more complicated than I thought.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:18 PM
KrisA
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 129 Posts

Agreed on Snakebit's comment on the Carnewal mod, best sound for the $ plus should save a bit of weight as he totally guts the inside of the cans.

If you want a dual tip on a budget I'd post a WTB add for either a Soul, Fabspeed or 987.2 S pipe. According to Gert Carnewal the stock 987.2 S pipe flows better than the cast x-pipes sold by Soul and others, if that matters to you.
The following users liked this post:
KevinThe987 (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 05:48 PM
KevinThe987
Track Day

Originally Posted by KrisA
Agreed on Snakebit's comment on the Carnewal mod, best sound for the $ plus should save a bit of weight as he totally guts the inside of the cans.

If you want a dual tip on a budget I'd post a WTB add for either a Soul, Fabspeed or 987.2 S pipe. According to Gert Carnewal the stock 987.2 S pipe flows better than the cast x-pipes sold by Soul and others, if that matters to you.
Ok, I'll definitely look into it, thanks! I looked at pricing and they're definitely not bad. Wish I could hear one in person though before I bought. I looked into it a bit more and it looks like x pipes are mainly for aesthetic unless paired with a full exhaust. If that's the case, Soul's got my heart. Can't compete with those looks IMO
Old 01-04-2022, 05:53 PM
KevinThe987
Track Day

Originally Posted by Snakebit
I don't know what you could possibly do to make that sweet Flat6 sing like a Civic. Or put another way, I don't think I have ever heard a Flat6 sound anything but glorious, unless I couldn't hear it at all, OR someone really did a hack to one.

So you are on a budget but you want the P-symphony for your sweet new to you ride? I suggest Carnewal it!
It's the poor man's PSE (without the valve)

Edit:

https://youtu.be/Y58AUyeK2uw
Gotcha! Thanks man, I'll definitely look into it. Life advice, if you want a car to modify on a budget and you're 17 don't buy a cayman lol. I agree, flat six is superior. You'd about have to attach a Whoopi cushion to the tail pipe to make it sound bad. Just don't want to ruin that glorious 7k rpm noise by accident

Quick Reply: X pipe advice?