Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Porsche Boxster won't start injector circuit malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 02:13 AM
PabloMen
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Porsche Boxster won't start injector circuit malfunction

Hi all, first time posting didn't found a similar thread, so here I go.
2011 Porsche Boxster base automatic, short story car won't start I am getting codes P0201 through P0206, this happened after struggling with a dead battery a couple of times, car is at service shop but haven't heard any progress on it and I am still wondering/hoping if there is a simple fix, or any fix at all.

Long story started having issues with battery since I bought it about a year ago, replaced the battery at O'Reilly's since they called out a bad battery, anyways didn't had any issues with the new battery until a couple of weeks ago when I tried to star my car and faced a dead battery, went through the struggle of opening the frunk with a dead battery but made it after a couple of YouTube videos and some intents, orderly charged the battery put it back drove with no issues and a couple of days later dead battery again, unfortunately this time I really struggled to open the frunk so I decided to start pulling fuses out in an attempt to stop whatever is draining the battery ended up pulling all of them then put them back since there were no blown fuses, finally got the frunk open again O'Reilly's charged the battery put if back and car cranks but won't start, I am getting codes P0201 through P0206,car is at service shop but haven't heard any progress on it and I am still wondering/hoping if there is a simple fix, or any fix at all.

Love my car hope I can get it back soon.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:35 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

A quick search indicates those codes are cylinder one and six fuel injector codes.
Your efforts to remove all fuses and putting them all back could have possibly resulted in a fuse not properly seating or making contact?
​​​​​​
Old 06-20-2021, 02:33 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

@PabloMen When you say "P0201 through P0206" - am I correct in interpreting that as codes P0201, P0202, P0203, etc.. through P0206? So all cylinders are showing the same?

Here is what AllDataDIY says about those codes:

The description is identical for all cylinders.
  1. The first choice - If it was one faulty injector - the first choice would be where I'd look...
  2. The second choice - Since it's ALL injectors - the 2nd choice would be where I'd start to look. I haven't checked if the 987.2/2.9 ECU works like most Bosch ECU's where there is power to the injectors at all times, and injectors are fired by grounding the other side of the coil through the DME. - But that would jive with all cylinders not firing.
  3. The third choice - only if it was one cylinder
  4. The fourth choice - possible. If enough sparking went on when charging the battery (or getting to it) that can send a high-voltage pulse through the electrical system that can damage electronic modules. That would be bad because it would be quite expensive to fix.
Since a shop now is going at it - chances are they'll find out what has gone wrong.. but a general piece of advice - avoid jump-starting these cars, and if you need to charge the battery - use a programmable computer-controlled charger, or disconnect the battery ground if you're using a fast-charger. It's way too easy to damage the electronics in the cars - not like the old days of coil/condenser/points.. solid-state is great, but not happy with overvoltage or undervoltage - damage can be done in either case.

BTW - welcome to Rennlist - and do let us know what transpires.
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (08-12-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:54 PM
PabloMen
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Snakebit
A quick search indicates those codes are cylinder one and six fuel injector codes.
Your efforts to remove all fuses and putting them all back could have possibly resulted in a fuse not properly seating or making contact?
​​​​​​
Thanks planning to visit the shop tomorrow this would be a good suggestion will keep you posted, appreciate the help.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:05 AM
PabloMen
7th Gear

Hey to clarify yes all cylinders are showing the error code, so I agree with second choice (praying it doesn't end up being the fourth option) hopefully as mentioned before I messed up something with the fuses and this is an easy fix, but there should be a reason why the car was draining the battery in the first place, so I am waiting for the shop to figure all that out.
thank you all helpful information didn't know what to expect from the forum this is helpful so far wished I wrote before getting the car to the shop it's been there for a while now, hope the bill doesn't kill my Porsche enthusiasm.

​​​​​​​
Old 08-11-2021, 10:25 AM
PabloMen
7th Gear

Default Finally got it back

Glad to let you know I finally have my car back, quick update the "reputable" shop that was recommended to me had the car for two months and was not able to figure out anything, the owner recommended to take the car to Porsche, a cousin recommended to visit his friend instead who has a shop at his home and he was able to figure out and fix the issue within 3 days, something with ECU not communicating correctly with other modules, probably my fault for unplugging all fuses at the same time. He was not able to find a shortcircuit causing the dead battery issue but my thinking is on leaving the car unlocked at the garage.

Anyways I have it back and know need to decide if I keep it or sell it, cause I need an SUV that better suits my family needs.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2023, 10:38 AM
Roy Inge
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Having exactly the same problem.

Hi.
I have a 2010 base 987.2 and exactly this same problem.
Car is in winter storage and battery went dead.
Recharged, but will not start.
Same codes as in this thread, all injectors P0201 to P0206.
I have tested every fuse and hopefully put them back in the correct spot. If anyone has a picture of the fusebox for 987.2 base, please share.

Never mind the last fault, that's because of my designtek manifolds.
Does anyone know what was done to fix it?

Would really appreciate any help.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:13 AM
XuTVJet
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Roy Inge
Hi.
I have a 2010 base 987.2 and exactly this same problem.
Car is in winter storage and battery went dead.
Recharged, but will not start.
Same codes as in this thread, all injectors P0201 to P0206.
I have tested every fuse and hopefully put them back in the correct spot. If anyone has a picture of the fusebox for 987.2 base, please share.

Never mind the last fault, that's because of my designtek manifolds.
Does anyone know what was done to fix it?

Would really appreciate any help.

Does this car sit on a battery tender during extended periods of not being driven? German cars get real cranky when their batteries get low on juice and the low voltage can throw all sorts of codes. When these cars are sitting, they are never really asleep. You need to keep the battery charged.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:01 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 140 Posts

I knew I had a fuse panel picture in my history somewhere - just found it. I was wiring my radar detector at the time, hence the wire dangling on the side... you can ignore that, of course.

The image is from my 2010 Boxster non-S, manual trans:

Old 01-13-2023, 01:48 PM
Roy Inge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Schwinn
I knew I had a fuse panel picture in my history somewhere - just found it. I was wiring my radar detector at the time, hence the wire dangling on the side... you can ignore that, of course.

The image is from my 2010 Boxster non-S, manual trans:

Thank you SO much 😀
Now I can check that I didn't screw something up while messing with the fuses.
Schwinn (01-13-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Roy Inge
Intermediate

Default I found the problem!

Ok, I messed it up myself...
One way or another I was missing a fuse. I have no idea how that happened, beacuse the fuse is nowhere to be found.
The fuse in D4 was missing, and that will throw the errors mentioned above.

Thank you so much for the picture @Schwinn
Schwinn (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 12:26 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

the error is understandable. in fact, if i were to remove and re-install all of those fuses, i would assume that i made at least one mistake, even if there was nothing wrong with the car.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:31 PM
Roy Inge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
the error is understandable. in fact, if i were to remove and re-install all of those fuses, i would assume that i made at least one mistake, even if there was nothing wrong with the car.
Thank you
What makes it difficult is that some of the spots are supposed to be empty.
​And the leaflet with the layout is "universal" not showing the value for all fuses.
But still, i just made myself a problem by not connecting the brain before starting the job 😂
Old 01-14-2023, 01:43 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 140 Posts

Glad the picture helped and got you to the solution!

What is the fuse in D4 for? I'm just curious to know what Porsche calls it's purpose.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:29 PM
Roy Inge
Intermediate

Row D F4: DME control unit TRM87 (only sre)
Schwinn (01-16-2023)

Quick Reply: 2011 Porsche Boxster won't start injector circuit malfunction