Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carvana - looking for tips/advice as I pre-ordered "my?" car

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 11:09 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree @saabin , they don't seem to want to unwind the deal... and that's great. In fact, a little more info, I actually asked them to replace the headlights since they were oxidized and had the small cracks (aka crazing). Without any issue, they covered it, to the surprise of my Porsche shop and myself. I didn't want to say anything before it completed, but they sent the approval already (actual replacement happening in a few weeks), so I think I'm safe... I am impressed. Granted, the cracked one, at least, should have been replaced anyway, but I'm thankful they did both... and that just improved my opinion of the deal here. I'm really impressed with the service...

@oofie810 Sorry your deal fell through at the last minute... I hear you, I wish they'd let us know ahead of time, but it's good they're fixing it. Do let us know how you make out... feel free to start your own thread.

I'm happy with Carvana so far... not having to deal with dumb dealers is a plus for sure, but the service has been great. I accept that maybe I got lucky as well, or maybe I'm not as observant or something... but even the PPI agreed, so I guess I'm more lucky than anything else? Anyway, overall, I'd highly recommend the Carvana process. Their prices may not be the best, but for a hard-to-find car like this availability is important, and they seemed to have more options than I could find in the "area"... granted, I could go nationwide as well, but the Carvana process effectively did that for me here (this was a CA car) and provided a lot of protection for the process (and free shipping)... and it's been really easy, too. I'm certainly a big fan!
Old 03-18-2021, 01:53 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I just "reserved" a Porsche that was for sale on Carvana. No pics had even ben posted yet so we'll see how it turns out. I immediately received an email and a test message about the car i had reserved and was told i would be notified when the next steps need to be taken and when their inspection was completed. I hope it goes smoothly as it's a difficult model to find and I think I just happened to click on the sight at the right time. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:57 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I came into this one in the same way - it was not pictured, but the specs based on the VIN looked good, so I reserved it. It took a few weeks before they did the pics. I actually found they did the pics before they even told me. But after I looked and reviewed it with some friends, I went ahead with the purchase. You can follow the story on this thread, I think I covered it all. Just don't be in a rush, haha! Good luck!
Old 03-18-2021, 02:22 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schwinn
I came into this one in the same way - it was not pictured, but the specs based on the VIN looked good, so I reserved it. It took a few weeks before they did the pics. I actually found they did the pics before they even told me. But after I looked and reviewed it with some friends, I went ahead with the purchase. You can follow the story on this thread, I think I covered it all. Just don't be in a rush, haha! Good luck!
I'm not in a rush at all. I have a 993 and a Macan but have been on the lookout for a Cayman. It seemed like Carvana had really aggressive prices but every one I saw was "pending purchase" as soon as it hit their site. I was looking for a 6MT which is a tough one to find. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:35 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that's why I jumped on it quickly... reserve it, and then see what it looks like. It's easy enough to un-reserve it if something else pops up... and the deposit is refundable anyway, so it's pretty safe.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:03 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Just to update anyone tracking this I received an email this am letting me know the car passed their 150 point inspection. The report is not filled out on the site. I was notified it was going through their reconditioning and detailing which could take up to a couple of weeks. I'll keep everyone posted as the process moves along.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:23 AM
lzacharyjw
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For preorder?

Can someone tell me when they preordered how long did it take to get the car. I have a car I’m looking at and approved already by them. But there is another one that just popped up on preorder I like more. It’s going to cost about 50 more a month but it saves me getting a new radio for example. But also has a few more things I would like. I just don’t want to cancel this one and then get told I can’t get the other or have it delayed since I’m having to go out of town to pick it up... suggestions?
Old 03-23-2021, 08:14 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It really depends on how busy Carvana is, so I don't think you can predict it that way. Mine popped up on "coming soon" on Jan 6, It passed their "inspection" on Jan 8 and then went to "reconditioning". It completed recondutioning and pictures around Jan 31, which is when I clicked to buy it. The car was then going to be delivered on Feb 9, then got delayed to Feb 22 for weather reasons, then I delayed it to March 6 forr weather again (I wanted to receive it on a non-rainy week so I could look over it carefully and have a good 7-day term with it.

I'm not clear on your situation - you're going out of town to pick up a different car, or another Carvana one? If it's a non-Carvana, then just keep it on hold until you see the other one... but I'm guessing you're asking about another Carvana car? If you don't act fast, the one that is not on hold will get held by someone else. Coming-soon cars get held very quickly, so if you let yours go you'll probably be replaced by another person almost immediately. And, as you know, they won't let you hold 2 cars.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:36 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Just an update for anyone following. There have been no updates. Car is still in reconditioning and detail. No pictures yet.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:41 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by nesposito
Just an update for anyone following. There have been no updates. Car is still in reconditioning and detail. No pictures yet.
That explains why sometimes cars will have "Purchase pending" for what seems like weeks. Not a fast process!
Old 04-02-2021, 01:48 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesBaxter
That explains why sometimes cars will have "Purchase pending" for what seems like weeks. Not a fast process!
Lucky I don't need the car but you're correct. I used to see that all the time with Carvana and never understood their process. Now I do.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:26 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Agreed, not a fast process, though I recall reading that they're adding more employees to cover the increased activity. That said, it took about 3 weeks for my car to go through the picture/reconditioning phase. Of course, that time can be altered depending on how much work is needed (and parts availability as well, of course).

An update on my efforts... I found that one of the vents is missing the slidey thing, and the cupholder (notorious for breaking) is damaged as well. I sent SilverRock an email saying that I would be happy to replace these items, and provided pictures of the problems. As you'd expect of any dumb insurance company, they'd rather have a "shop" do the replacement and pay for the labor and such. Really? Silly... but whatever, I'm hoping my shop will provide the estimate and do the work with parts I purchase (I'm hoping to buy the cupholder from FCPEuro, since they'll warranty it for life)... we'll see what happens.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:02 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schwinn
Agreed, not a fast process, though I recall reading that they're adding more employees to cover the increased activity. That said, it took about 3 weeks for my car to go through the picture/reconditioning phase. Of course, that time can be altered depending on how much work is needed (and parts availability as well, of course).

An update on my efforts... I found that one of the vents is missing the slidey thing, and the cupholder (notorious for breaking) is damaged as well. I sent SilverRock an email saying that I would be happy to replace these items, and provided pictures of the problems. As you'd expect of any dumb insurance company, they'd rather have a "shop" do the replacement and pay for the labor and such. Really? Silly... but whatever, I'm hoping my shop will provide the estimate and do the work with parts I purchase (I'm hoping to buy the cupholder from FCPEuro, since they'll warranty it for life)... we'll see what happens.
It's good to hear that at least they are honoring work that needs to be done. That's a good sign.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:33 PM
CaymanDave
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking about going through the same pre-order process, do they post a list or description of everything that will be "reconditioned"?
Old 04-03-2021, 06:39 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanDave
I'm thinking about going through the same pre-order process, do they post a list or description of everything that will be "reconditioned"?
They do post a 150 point inspection sheet but the one for my pre order hasn't been filled out yet and it's been 3 weeks. I don't think you get an actual list of what's been "reconditioned". Just be on the site often cause when they post a car it tends to get snatched up VERY quickly.

Quick Reply: Carvana - looking for tips/advice as I pre-ordered "my?" car