Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 02:31 AM
RoFromTaco
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dovecom
I have the shifter and cables. The shifter is fine, certainly more accurate.
But. The cables aren’t ideal. They make the shift action too stiff, making shifts slower and more difficult. Doing it again I would instead have the new OEM cable mount installed (I struggled mightily just installing the new cables, I’d pay someone to do the new attachment) and use Porsche cables.

going full Numeric nets a slight improvement and peace of mind but it’s nothing like an S2000 or Miata.
How many miles do you have on your cables? I've heard a lot of people mention a break in period of around 1k miles. Nothing official of course, just hearsay.
Old 07-23-2024, 06:48 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dovecom
I have the shifter and cables. The shifter is fine, certainly more accurate.
But. The cables aren’t ideal. They make the shift action too stiff, making shifts slower and more difficult. Doing it again I would instead have the new OEM cable mount installed (I struggled mightily just installing the new cables, I’d pay someone to do the new attachment) and use Porsche cables.

going full Numeric nets a slight improvement and peace of mind but it’s nothing like an S2000 or Miata.
Well, different experience here. I had my shop install and it wasn't straightforward due to needing some mods regarding clearances. The only negative for me is the increased noise transmission. But shift action is great. Had a guy who owns a GT3 say the shifter was now like his. Definitely heavier than a Miata and more "rifle bolt" action. It's too long since I drove an S2000 so can't comment there. And the plus of not having my cables break while at a stoplight is, of course, a significant one.
Old 07-24-2024, 08:44 AM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 2011 Cayman Base. Over the winter, I installed a Numeric shifter and new genuine Porsche cables and the ancillary bits. I have been tinkering and modding cars for almost forty years. This combination of Numeric and factory cables is by far the best mod I have ever done. My car had 83,000 miles on it, so the old shifter and cables were worn. The new setup is just perfect. Great shifting and no NVH. Strongly recommend.
Old 07-24-2024, 09:52 AM
Ric In RVA
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by xsbank
Professorz, I'm pretty sure that the clunk you are experiencing is improper adjustment. Or there is a clutch issue? I had to readjust mine as it would not go into 2nd on a downshift. You have to remove the cable-end from the transmission end on the left side; this will require a new plastic doodad to be slipped over the ball end so make sure you have one. The kit comes with 5. Release the lock-nut with a 10mm wrench then adjust the end of the cable so it is just longer than the throw of the lever. Test it in forward and to the rear. It should be just longer forward and back.

Once you are happy, press the cable end over the ball until it clicks on, then tighten the locknut.

If your shift lever is not in the correct position, remove the shift boot and use 2 - 10mm open end wrenches to adjust the position. Left side is left-right, right side is forward and back. Tighten the locknuts when you are happy with the shift lever position and refit the shift boot.

Test drive it!
And take note of where the lock nut should go. When I got mine the lock nut was neatly locking the one piece threaded assembly....and not locking the adjustment part!

Literally the shop had run the lock nut down on the part that didn't turn and locked it leaving the male part threaded into the female part with no lock nut. It "looked" correct!!

Apparently nothing really moves so it wasn't an issue but there was a little bit of slop in the threads.
Old 07-29-2024, 12:39 AM
YellowU
6th Gear

My 2010 Cayman base has the Numeric bundle (cable, short shift kit) installed 2 years ago as preventative maintenance. Pros: the play has completely gone, shift action and feel is significantly improved. The peace of mind that old cables could snap is no longer an issue. Cons: changing to Reverse has to use double the muscle force and a bit noisy during shifts even having the insulation tube installed. However, i think the pros out weight the cons.
Old 08-06-2024, 01:34 AM
RoFromTaco
4th Gear

My 987.2 base Numeric shifter and cables have been installed for about 36 hours.... so here is my take.
Pros: Incredibly positive shifter feel, very rifle bolt like.
Cons: non No additional in my case with the cable insulators.

I'll be updating this in 3 months & 6 months.

In short buy this kit. It is the one thing the 987 lacks is good shifter feel and this fixes it.
Old 08-06-2024, 11:09 AM
Zipper8650
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My 987 came with a Numeric shifter and cables from the previous owner. He gave me 2 prices, 1 with the shifter and 1 without. He was replacing the 987 with a 997 and wanted it for his 997. I love the shifter but had one of the cables pop off last weekend, they cables were using the stock plastic couplings. I am upgrading to the metal connectors they sell. If your going through the time and expense it’s a very reasonable upgrade to use the metal connectors
Old 08-06-2024, 11:15 AM
RoFromTaco
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Zipper8650
My 987 came with a Numeric shifter and cables from the previous owner. He gave me 2 prices, 1 with the shifter and 1 without. He was replacing the 987 with a 997 and wanted it for his 997. I love the shifter but had one of the cables pop off last weekend, they cables were using the stock plastic couplings. I am upgrading to the metal connectors they sell. If your going through the time and expense it’s a very reasonable upgrade to use the metal connectors

Hmm that's odd, my shifter and cables don't have any plastic on them, outside of the inner cups inside the shifter ends. Can you post a picture of your cables?

Quick Reply: Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?