Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by professsorz
And MY Indy Porsche shop said failure of the cables was a foregone conclusion, that they replace them on a regular basis due to breakage.
No question I believe there’s an issue with the cables. They’re being replaced. My mechanic is not the one who risks being left roadside with a busted gear box.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:41 PM
bltblt
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Numeric shifter & Cables in 2014 S

I installed the Numeric shifter and cables in my 2014 S.
The description that the shifting now feels "like a rifle bolt" is quite accurate.
Wish I had them in my 911 track car.

Barry Thompson
Bristol, CT
Old 12-23-2020, 12:26 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bltblt
I installed the Numeric shifter and cables in my 2014 S.
The description that the shifting now feels "like a rifle bolt" is quite accurate.
Wish I had them in my 911 track car.

Barry Thompson
Bristol, CT
How would you compare the numeric shifter + cable on the 981 to the stock, and to a direct mounted shifter (for e.g. in a miata)?
Old 12-24-2020, 06:22 AM
Shankha
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter cable change for A/T

Guys - have seen so many messages on the shifter cables snapping on the Boxster/Cayman, but most seem to be for manual transmission. Is this a problem w the Auto transmission as well ? I have a 2008 Boxster S 3.4L (the Special Edition 2) which has the auto transmission (Tiptronic).
Old 12-24-2020, 05:00 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ncster
How would you compare the numeric shifter + cable on the 981 to the stock, and to a direct mounted shifter (for e.g. in a miata)?
Not the person you quoted but I can compare a stock 981 to a 987 with the Numeric cables and an NB2/ND2 Miata.

Not really a fair comparison since the Miata lever is directly attached to the transmission; it's by far the most direct setup.

The stock 981 shifter feel is really good and I never felt the need to upgrade. The stock 987 feel wasn't as good and given the cable snapping concerns, the Numeric cables solved 2 problems at once: eliminated risk of snapping while providing the rifle bolt action that's been mentioned before. But you can still tell it's a cable-operated system with a slight amount of slop. I suspect adding the Numeric shifter itself would take that out if that's what you're after.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:09 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I suspect adding the Numeric shifter itself would take that out if that's what you're after.
Or the Function-First stock shifter mod-rebuild kit which also removes most of the slop.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:00 AM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
The stock 981 shifter feel is really good and I never felt the need to upgrade. The stock 987 feel wasn't as good and given the cable snapping concerns, the Numeric cables solved 2 problems at once: eliminated risk of snapping while providing the rifle bolt action that's been mentioned before. But you can still tell it's a cable-operated system with a slight amount of slop. I suspect adding the Numeric shifter itself would take that out if that's what you're after.
Honestly, the 981 shifter has really grown on me. It felt a bit muted at first coming from the miata and mostly solid linkage shifters, but it just feels precise. I especially love the 2-3 shift. My only gripe with the shifter now is the slop. It's especially noticeable whens shifting from 4th to 6th. I was initially thinking that there wasn't much point in getting the numeric shifter without the cables but I'm not sure I want any extra NVH in the cabin. I think just the numeric shifter will be the way to go. I'll also save a bundle on installation (my building doesn't allow jacking up the car). Probably going to do it next year. Thanks!

Originally Posted by A432
Or the Function-First stock shifter mod-rebuild kit which also removes most of the slop.
I believe you're refering to this. Seems to be 986/987 only. Pretty cool alternative to the numeric shifter, though.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:04 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Yup, believe they were working on a 981 version too
Old 12-27-2020, 03:08 AM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Motivated by the 10% discount on the numeric racing website, I bit the bullet and ordered the shifter for my 981 CS. Will share some pictures once it's here and installed.

EDIT 2020/12/28: Shipped already. Arriving on 12/30!

Last edited by ncster; 12-28-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:31 PM
ComradeStan
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shifter Vibration while in first gear?

Installed both the cables and the shifter in my 987.1 boxster. Really feel the vibration in the shifter when in first gear. Especially after 2-3k RPM. All other gears seem to be vibration free. Anyone have experienced similar? I've only driven it twice since the install. Not sure if it's something that will go away or I messed it up somewhere or I have a bigger issue.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:47 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

I just had one installed on my 981 boxster ... professional install by Olsen Motorsports, and it is AWESOME!
Almost bailed on it based on some of the very few negative comments but I'm glad I didn't. Great, high quality product.
The following users liked this post:
RandyL (07-23-2024)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:40 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4
I just had one installed on my 981 boxster ... professional install by Olsen Motorsports, and it is AWESOME!
Almost bailed on it based on some of the very few negative comments but I'm glad I didn't. Great, high quality product.
Negative comments on the shifter. That'd be odd. Other than it's expensive there's zero to complain about. Adjustable, super precise.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:49 PM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

My 987.2 had been updated with Porsche OEM shifter cables so I had only the Numeric short shifter kit installed. Works out since I didn't want the extra NVH from the Numeric cables. The previous owner had an invoice for $900 for the updated parts and $788 for labor, eesh.

The Numeric short shifter feels exponentially better than stock OEM. Stock OEM feels quite terrible, I can feel all the plastic flexing around, the slop, and notchiness in every gear especially when cold. My only other experience with manual was an S2000 so I knew it wouldn't be good but the Cayman's was acceptable at best. I had it set to the 2nd throw setting and it feels awesome and a huge difference in feel and experience from the get-go. I can sometimes still feel a little bit of notch going into 3rd. Planning on changing the transmission fluid and hopefully that'll make things more buttery, as it made a big difference in the S2000. I'll take it over the Honda's infamous 2nd gear grind any day. When the car is warmed up, it feels 9.9/10 good as I remember on the S2000, well oiled and as cliche as it may be, truly rifle bolt action like shifts. I would compare stock shifter to a nerf gun. It's a must change IMO.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:55 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If you install the cables as per the directions and don't use the clamp, there is no extra noise transmitted.

I had changed my trans fluid and it really changed nothing, still ground in second sometimes, first was difficult to engage while moving.
Now there is no cable noise, it shifts just fine into second and first is available again. I used the middle position so its a bit shorter than stock but now its exactly like a gated shifter on a Ferrari. I'm going to experiment with the "long" position to see if that is better.

If you are used to using a "feel" kind of shifting, like for an MGB for example, where you can easily override the synchros if you move the lever too quickly, you will find that the total Numeric setup doesn't at all work or feel like that, it really does feel like a rifle mechanism with its precision and predictability. So far, with my limited driving with the new setup,(broke my collar bone cycling) you really don't feel the synchros.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:49 AM
dovecom
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I’ll offer a Numeric negative

Originally Posted by professsorz
Negative comments on the shifter. That'd be odd. Other than it's expensive there's zero to complain about. Adjustable, super precise.
I have the shifter and cables. The shifter is fine, certainly more accurate.
But. The cables aren’t ideal. They make the shift action too stiff, making shifts slower and more difficult. Doing it again I would instead have the new OEM cable mount installed (I struggled mightily just installing the new cables, I’d pay someone to do the new attachment) and use Porsche cables.

going full Numeric nets a slight improvement and peace of mind but it’s nothing like an S2000 or Miata.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?