Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 08:28 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?

Doing a Numeric shifter on my 987 Spyder.

Anyone have one? Impressions?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2020, 08:32 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Have the shifter and cables. LOVE them. The setup took ~1K miles to break in but it's gotten better. Very worthwhile upgrade and it is exactly as advertised.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:25 PM
bbinder
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Have it. Love it. I liked the stock shifter fine, but when my shifter cable broke I decided to put the Numeric cables in and did the Numeric shifter at the same time. No regrets.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:16 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bbinder
Have it. Love it. I liked the stock shifter fine, but when my shifter cable broke I decided to put the Numeric cables in and did the Numeric shifter at the same time. No regrets.
Thanks guys! Pricey upgrade but seems worth while!
Old 12-07-2020, 11:26 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Thanks guys! Pricey upgrade but seems worth while!
There are negatives. First, the cables are physically bulky and more difficult to install than the stock cables. Doable for sure (obviously) but requires some snipping and fitting. Once they’re on there may be a notable change in the sound in the cabin. I say may be because I’ve got PASM with sport exhaust. Without sport exhaust - I don’t know. But for me, when NOT in sport there is a small amount of mechanical noise when shifting that appears to be coming from in front of the shifter (which is clearly an acoustic illusion). Associated with shifting. Each shift produces not a clunk but something akin. More noticeable in higher gears. But in sport mode (so sport exhaust is working) the sorta klunk is very noticeable. Actually irritating in 6th and then progressively less as you go down in gears. My speculation is that the sound is what’s always present but the stock cables, with their plastic ends and thinner more flexible cables don’t transmit it well. The far beefier. Numeric cables with metal ends provide a much more direct sound path.

You can reduce the klunk by letting off the throttle from “almost off” to “full off” very smoothly. The quicker it’s done - the more the klunk.

As for the shifting feel - well, that stinks.

Okay, that was a lie. It’s super positive and the side to side slop from the stock Porsche shifter is gone. Very much “bolt action” feel. If you’re used to wiggling the shifter around to see if it’s in gear or not - well, that’ll change. I think it’s a totally worthwhile install and what it also does is eliminates the broken shifter cables that are fated to happen eventually with the Porsche standard item. The Numeric shifter itself is a work of art. Beautifully made and puts the Porsche piece of plastic to shame. Let’s you dial in 3 levels of short shifting as well. My recommendation is to do both: shifter and cables.
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:26 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

I have the Numeric cables and installed them before considering the shifter. Glad I did since for me, I wouldn't want the throws to be any shorter; it's perfect with the stock shifter. All the hard work is routing the new cables so if you have the patience, you can always drive around with the stock shifter and see if you like it (without reinstalling the center console and everything else).

You'll know pretty quick if you like it or not.

However, don't get the shifter without getting the cables since the latter is a weakness.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I have the Numeric cables and installed them before considering the shifter. Glad I did since for me, I wouldn't want the throws to be any shorter; it's perfect with the stock shifter. All the hard work is routing the new cables so if you have the patience, you can always drive around with the stock shifter and see if you like it (without reinstalling the center console and everything else).

However, don't get the shifter without getting the cables since the latter is a weakness.
Did you notice a change in feel with just the cables?
Old 12-08-2020, 08:43 AM
garfunkle
Banned

The shifter is adjustable and the throws in mine are almost the same length as stock.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:15 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

There are 3 positions the shifter can be set at. The tallest is equivalent to the stock throws. The middle is a bit shorter and the lowest shorter still. Numerics Racing can tell you the percentages - I don’t recall beyond thinking it may have been 20 and 40 percent. They told me most people run the middle position and that’s what I have. Feels better than stock to me.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:05 AM
zuch
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

If you go this route, make sure you buy the special installation wrench. It will make your life much easier. I will add that both the cables and the shifter are a great mod, though I too get a little extra noise. I don't notice it as much (at all) with the top down.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:46 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 729 Posts

My Spyder has the Short Shift Kit and it still feels a bit sloshy compared to a manual 991.2 GT3. I’m guessing Numeric Racing cables / shifter are more like the GT3?
Old 12-08-2020, 12:47 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 729 Posts

Also, when do the stock cables give up? I’m at 22k miles right now and will probably upgrade when they go out.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:52 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Just a note that you can get updated OEM shifter cables that have been beefed up. The Numeric ones aren’t the only option. The Porsche ones are more expensive but I think that’s the route I’m going to go as I’m not interested in the possibility of increased nvh.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:16 PM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
Also, when do the stock cables give up? I’m at 22k miles right now and will probably upgrade when they go out.
There really isn't any timeframe. Consider your cables on borrowed time!
Just know that when they do go out, you're stuck in that gear. Be proactive with this mod.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:44 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by NAMR6MT
There really isn't any timeframe. Consider your cables on borrowed time!
Just know that when they do go out, you're stuck in that gear. Be proactive with this mod.
Problem with the factory cables is that they're fine - until they're not! Then you're stranded...
redcayman07 (12-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?