Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 09:11 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Professorz, I'm pretty sure that the clunk you are experiencing is improper adjustment. Or there is a clutch issue? I had to readjust mine as it would not go into 2nd on a downshift. You have to remove the cable-end from the transmission end on the left side; this will require a new plastic doodad to be slipped over the ball end so make sure you have one. The kit comes with 5. Release the lock-nut with a 10mm wrench then adjust the end of the cable so it is just longer than the throw of the lever. Test it in forward and to the rear. It should be just longer forward and back.

Once you are happy, press the cable end over the ball until it clicks on, then tighten the locknut.

If your shift lever is not in the correct position, remove the shift boot and use 2 - 10mm open end wrenches to adjust the position. Left side is left-right, right side is forward and back. Tighten the locknuts when you are happy with the shift lever position and refit the shift boot.

Test drive it!
Old 12-11-2020, 09:25 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

My independent Porsche shop told me very low probability of cables breaking and not to waste $ on new cables. However, I’m thinking if Porsche updated them it was for a reason.

Im replacing them. Better safe than sorry. I’m getting the GT3 box.

I went with a Carnewal exhaust to and K&N filter.

Prefer to stay OEM with the Spyder.

Love this little car. Wife named her Charlotte. 😎

Old 12-11-2020, 10:20 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
My independent Porsche shop told me very low probability of cables breaking and not to waste $ on new cables. However, I’m thinking if Porsche updated them it was for a reason.

How much are the gt3 box and updated cables from Porsche?
Old 12-11-2020, 10:32 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4
How much are the gt3 box and updated cables from Porsche?
https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...ginetrans.html

Couple options here.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Thanks.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:31 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

If you also want to improve the shifting/LSD, change to the Delvac Suncoast sells at the same time.

Don't know the mileage on your car but if it's getting past 50K would also do the cable ends in the Suncoast link.

My experience with the cables:

Updated stock cables

Last edited by A432; 12-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:46 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

"Safe" with a K&N filter?
Old 12-12-2020, 12:27 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by A432
If you also want to improve the shifting/LSD, change to the Delvac Suncoast sells at the same time.

Don't know the mileage on your car but if it's getting past 50K would also do the cable ends in the Suncoast link.

My experience with the cables:

Updated stock cables
Great info! Thank you.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:04 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Does the Numeric shifter and cables on 981 increase NHV like it can on a 987?
Old 12-12-2020, 10:11 AM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by xsbank
"Safe" with a K&N filter?
Some experience mass airflow sensor foul ups due to the pre-oiling. Same goes with the BMC filter. I've used multiple aftermarket oiled filters in my cars with no prob thus far. They're safe in the sense that they won't cause engine failures. Jake R doesn't like them so when his new engine is installed into my chassis, I'll revert back to OEM which by all indications, flow just as well as any $100 aftermarket filter which produces 0 HP gain.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:13 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

After research it seems gains from after market filters in nominal at best and stock filters filter better.
The following users liked this post:
ekam (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by xsbank
Professorz, I'm pretty sure that the clunk you are experiencing is improper adjustment. Or there is a clutch issue? I had to readjust mine as it would not go into 2nd on a downshift. You have to remove the cable-end from the transmission end on the left side; this will require a new plastic doodad to be slipped over the ball end so make sure you have one. The kit comes with 5. Release the lock-nut with a 10mm wrench then adjust the end of the cable so it is just longer than the throw of the lever. Test it in forward and to the rear. It should be just longer forward and back.

Once you are happy, press the cable end over the ball until it clicks on, then tighten the locknut.

If your shift lever is not in the correct position, remove the shift boot and use 2 - 10mm open end wrenches to adjust the position. Left side is left-right, right side is forward and back. Tighten the locknuts when you are happy with the shift lever position and refit the shift boot.

Test drive it!
I initially thought so as well. And perhaps! But our highly skilled Porsche Indy shop with lotsa years of Porsche expertise has been over it extensively and opines “all operating normally”. I truly wish I’d paid attention more closely prior to install of the Numeric but alas, didn’t. The transmission IS one that’s been funky. Shifting into 1st instead of 1st and vice versa at odd times and once shifting into essentially nothing until I put it in 3rd and then back. So ... hard to say. It’s Rosie’s way of having an endearing quirk, like most Alfas. Maybe she’s not pure blooded German. ;-)
Old 12-12-2020, 12:17 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

And MY Indy Porsche shop said failure of the cables was a foregone conclusion, that they replace them on a regular basis due to breakage.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:49 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by professsorz
And MY Indy Porsche shop said failure of the cables was a foregone conclusion, that they replace them on a regular basis due to breakage.
And when I got my cable replaced at the dealer... there's another 987 there getting the new cables installed after it snapped.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:12 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Quick Reply: Anyone with a Numeric shifter on a 987?