Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnecting battery for winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 05:57 PM
cattywampus981
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnecting battery for winter storage

First time preparing my 981 Boxster for winter storage. I drove it through the winter last year, but this year I'll be out of town for about 6 months. Car will be stored in a garage but without access to power, so a trickle charger or battery tender isn't an option. I had thought I could disconnect my battery and then open the frunk when the time came to reconnect it using a portable battery jumper on the connection in the driver's side footwell. But thinking about this further, while that should work if the battery is dead, I'm now doubting that it will work if it's disconnected. Hoping someone can clarify - with the battery disconnected, is it still possible to "jump" the frunk/hood? If not, what would you recommend as the best approach for the battery if I don't have power for a battery tender?
Old 10-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,208 Posts

You have to leave the battery connected in order to use the jumper leads in the fuse box for the trunk.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist....php?t=1213788

You could buy an Antigravity battery with the restart feature built in. You could remove the battery and potentially manually close the latch mechanism so that when the hood closes it cannot actually latch. You would want to insert a screw driver into the latch mechanism and force it to latch without the hood being down. Only risk would be if someone tried to force close the hood in the garage. Depending on how old your battery is you could also just leave that one in there and use it for winter storage only, get a fresh battery in the spring and swap batteries between winter and summer. Winter one would basically be used only for still being able to jump the trunk.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:01 PM
cattywampus981
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was afraid of. Although the thread you linked seems to have some conflicting information. A few people say it won't work, a few say it will work if you use the button on the key instead of the release in the car, which leaves me puzzled.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:27 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

For years I have stored the Boxster at a facility that doesn’t have power. They would disconnect the battery and only close the hood to the safety latch. This allowed them to open the next spring and connect the battery. In the 12 years I stored a Boxster, 987 and 981, disconnecting the battery was never an issue. If your concerned that the hood may close all the way use a small block to prevent it.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:04 PM
zuch
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I use a piece of cut off hockey stick that I place through the hood latch to prevent it from accidentally being closed. Be sure to use a carbon fiber hockey stick :-)
Old 10-05-2020, 05:27 PM
Atlas 987
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I had an 06 Boxster and when I replaced the battery, the computer lost the heated seat memory. I had to take it to the dealer and have it reprogrammed for $209... I should have kept a charge via lighter or terminals when I swapped it out.

Are there any issue like that on the 981?
Old 10-05-2020, 08:17 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlas 987
I had an 06 Boxster and when I replaced the battery, the computer lost the heated seat memory. I had to take it to the dealer and have it reprogrammed for $209... I should have kept a charge via lighter or terminals when I swapped it out.

Are there any issue like that on the 981?
Just had battery replaced by my Indy. The one he had turned out to be bad so had to get another one. Car sat for almost two hours. No back-up power. All I had to do was reset the windows and time.

2013 Boxster S PDK PASM PSE PTV

Last edited by Kitc2246; 10-05-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

There's always the emergency trunk release cable under the front left fender liner.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting battery for winter storage