Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you like to see a separate dedicated group for the 987 platform?
Yes -Create a separate group for 987. PLEASE
98.08%
No -keep the 987/981 grouped together. They are the same
1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

987 forum poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 01:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
Any progress to report on this?
I wish. There was a move to rearrange ALL the forums - and make everything "first-level" - meaning things like the Cayenne with subforums for models would go away - and every Cayenne would be on it's own as a top-level forum. That hasn't launched yet - and I think there was enough concern that it possibly won't. This is one of those things that comes up - has a flurry of discussion - then goes away with nothing happening. We have a mod/admin/owner Zoom meeting sometime in the next week, I will try bringing it up again.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:26 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts

I was afraid they would make it such a big project that nothing would be done.
The 987 owners will accept a new forum group starting from this day forward. We can live with current stuff and we can slowly bring forward (C&P) what we cannot live without and go from here !
Please - I'm tired of going to P9 to find a 987 group

Last edited by scootr; 10-31-2020 at 02:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NP713_987S (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 12:44 AM
NP713_987S
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates?
Old 11-26-2020, 01:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

As usual it looks like this has been ignored forcing everyone to look elsewhere for information.
TMc993 (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 02:24 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Without defending Internet Brands (I think they are a terrible service provider) and without offending anyone who has commented in this thread (You all have posted valid points), I'd like to point out that thirteen users (Not counting me) have commented on this issue, some more than once. Of the fourteen of us who posted comments, eight are paying members and six are not.

Even if the bulk of the "re-sorting" was completed by "volunteers," I suspect there would still be a fairly significant financial cost to IB related to programming, database restructuring, etc. To be honest, as logical and reasonable as the comments here are, the concerns of eight paying members and six non-paying users probably don't carry enough financial clout to push a corporation like IB off the mark.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, just that the fiscal reality is that there's not much for IB to gain financially by doing it....So, they probably won't.

Last edited by TMc993; 11-26-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

While I agree with the reasoning not to do this I would submit that we have been complaining about this since they combined the two models at the very beginning. Lame that they combined them from the get go an now here we are.....
alemaniac (11-27-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 05:36 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

add me to the paying members complaint count.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:45 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Paying member, new 987.1 owner, couldn't agree more.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Well... if there were a few hundred requests that might get some attention (hint!)
NP713_987S (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 09:58 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Well... if there were a few hundred requests that might get some attention (hint!)
Don,

It's obvious that complaining about this issue in random threads on the discussion board is not working. So, what is the single best way to request this type of change? Who do we contact?

It seems to me that if we put together a focused campaign involving a significant number of subscribers contacting a single individual with the influence to make it happen, we'd have a better chance of effecting change. I'm not talking about yet another thread on the board. That clearly isn't effective.

Instead, if we had a way to PM a person with influence, we could run a concentrated (Say, a week?) campaign on the board, with daily reminders posted in a single thread on the board for a week. Then, it would be up to the people who use the board to let their opinion be known to "the powers that be."

If a couple of hundred people participate, then maybe something will happen. If fourteen people participate, then perhaps it's not as big a problem as some of us think it is.

Just a suggestion...

Terry

Last edited by TMc993; 11-29-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:55 AM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Without defending Internet Brands (I think they are a terrible service provider) and without offending anyone who has commented in this thread (You all have posted valid points), I'd like to point out that thirteen users (Not counting me) have commented on this issue, some more than once. Of the fourteen of us who posted comments, eight are paying members and six are not.

Even if the bulk of the "re-sorting" was completed by "volunteers," I suspect there would still be a fairly significant financial cost to IB related to programming, database restructuring, etc. To be honest, as logical and reasonable as the comments here are, the concerns of eight paying members and six non-paying users probably don't carry enough financial clout to push a corporation like IB off the mark.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, just that the fiscal reality is that there's not much for IB to gain financially by doing it....So, they probably won't.
highly doubt there is a cost to the db work. I ran a forum years ago and it’s literally a few mouse clicks to create a sub forum, at least on the one I owned. It’s the moving and sorting of content that’s the heavy load.
Fresh.Sizzle (03-07-2021)
Old 11-29-2020, 01:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by TMc993
Don,

It's obvious that complaining about this issue in random threads on the discussion board is not working. So, what is the single best way to request this type of change? Who do we contact?

It seems to me that if we put together a focused campaign involving a significant number of subscribers contacting a single individual with the influence to make it happen, we'd have a better chance of effecting change. I'm not talking about yet another thread on the board. That clearly isn't effective.

Instead, if we had a way to PM a person with influence, we could run a concentrated (Say, a week?) campaign on the board, with daily reminders posted in a single thread on the board for a week. Then, it would be up to the people who use the board to let their opinion be known to "the powers that be."

If a couple of hundred people participate, then maybe something will happen. If fourteen people participate, then perhaps it's not as big a problem as some of us think it is.

Just a suggestion...

Terry
Terry - knowing how some members of the forums can take things beyond civil discourse, I don't want to be responsible for directing any messages to anyone "with influence". I suspect that would result in me becoming an ex-moderator. This thread, if it was posted to by enough people to show some real support for the idea can be brought by me to the attention (again) of the persons "with influence". So I think your challenge would be to figure out how to get people to show their support for the idea by posting here.

That's the best I can offer at the moment. There are some considerations involving forum sponsorship - but nothing I can see as unsurmountable.

Best,
Old 11-29-2020, 02:08 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts

I suggest we PM everybody who posted in this section and invite them to voice their opinion by posting in this thread.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:15 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Terry - knowing how some members of the forums can take things beyond civil discourse, I don't want to be responsible for directing any messages to anyone "with influence". I suspect that would result in me becoming an ex-moderator.
Don,

Sadly, you have a valid point. Thanks for the response.

Terry
Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 PM
NP713_987S
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am willing to not renew my paid membership if a solution isn’t even attempted. However, I’m also willing to volunteer “moving” 987 threads to its appropriate category. It’s not rocket science; just some hard work.

Quick Reply: 987 forum poll