Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinder-gentler tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 02:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts
Default Kinder-gentler tires?

The Boxster IMHO kicks butt... problem is - it kicks my butt. It has marvelous handling properties, but ride quality - well - comes up a bit short.

My solution for this would have been the Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ - put these on my Cayenne. Transformed the car from the Nokia UHP summer tires, with no real loss in handling or feel. They just are way smoother. BUT - they don't come in the correct rear size of 265/40-18 apparently.

Right now it has Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's (Porsche N4) on it. Rears are worn, fronts aren't awful, but I want to start with 4 fresh tires since the car is new to me. I also might want to drive it on sunny days mid-winter, so summer only tires are out.

Here is what TireRack suggests:
  1. Conti EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06
  2. Yokohama ADVEN Sport AS
  3. Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS

All seasons (which I selected)

Anyone have experience to share with these choices the Yokos are cheapest by about $75 for the 4 - but that's not a really vital consideration, I've allocated $1,000 for tires/mounting.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:48 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Given the same sizes, a harder compound tire will exacerbate your ride quality assessment especially as the tires wear down. All the tires you list are harder compounds than what you have. The answer is more sidewall. You need smaller diameter wheels perhaps. More sidewall equals more tire deflection which equals better ride quality.

If unwilling to change tire sizes (that would be my choice too) it's ideal to lower the air pressures at least 2-3 pounds from standard--not so much as to set off low pressure warnings. You'll notice with new tires versus old, they will feel softer even if the same brand, type, and sizes. I recently went from old Michelin Cup 2s to Michelin PS4S tires and the PS4S feel a tad softer. It's mainly because they're new and the tread blocks are much thicker. That (perceived softness) will change as they wear.

I do have experience with those Bridgestones. They are bricks. Hard...
The following 2 users liked this post by MidEngineRules:
deilenberger (10-11-2019), qwe (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of Protenza’s on one car with 16” wheels and they are a noisy tire.

On my Cayman, I have the Conti’s on 19’s and they are much quieter than the Protenza’s. Still noisy on rough surfaces but I expect that since the wheels are right behind me.

Just my experience...
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (10-11-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:24 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

To date, have or had Continental DWS's on four vehicles (Boxster S, 350z, BMW 5 series and Genesis sedans) and would not hesitate to get them again. They offer a quiet, supple ride and are durable. On the other hand, Bridgestone's on my 350z were disappointing - very hard and wore quickly. Since you plan to drive occasionally in the winter, the DWS's (with Snow being the "S" in "DWS") might work better in the cold.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:29 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by TEF
To date, have or had Continental DWS's on four vehicles (Boxster S, 350z, BMW 5 series and Genesis sedans) and would not hesitate to get them again. They offer a quiet, supple ride and are durable. On the other hand, Bridgestone's on my 350z were disappointing - very hard and wore quickly. Since you plan to drive occasionally in the winter, the DWS's (with Snow being the "S" in "DWS") might work better in the cold.
Thanks - that's where I'm leaning too.. I've had the DWS on my first Cayenne, replacing the Michelin Latitudes those trucks are cursed with. Had a much quieter supple ride - but could feel the sidewall shift a bit more when cornering with some vigor (old guys can actually do that sometimes - even in a Cayenne..) Not scary once used to it. They never let go on me..

I also agree that new tires vs worn tires will give a better ride. I don't think it's entirely due to the thickness of the tread block, but some tires seem to harden up as they age and wear - and that can be noticeable old vs new. The current rears are at the wearbars.

All of the tires I listed are rated by TireRack as Ultra-High-Performance All-Seasons, but my experience with the DWS on my first Cayenne were they were adequate for light snow in the winter, if I wanted anything really serious I had to put my snows on (Pirelli Scorpion Alpine). I'll be curious how the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ does in snow this winter - it did get quite high marks from Tire Rack for snow (not so much ice.)

Thanks for the input - anyone else?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:08 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 458 Posts

My 987 previously had ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires on it. Grip was OK (not amazing but fine), however they had a tendency to flat spot when the car was parked for more than 3 days. It would take 10-15 minutes of highway driving to clear the flat spots after the car had sat for a while. Tire pressure weren't an issue - they were right in the middle of the recommended range.

I've now switched to Michelin PS4S summer tires - better grip, no flatspotting, ride quality is no worse, and they might even be slightly quieter than the old DWS.

Maybe newer DWS tires are better, but this was my experience with the tires from 2011 that were on my car when I bought it in 2016.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:18 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Wizee - I believe the "06" series came out after 2011 and were noted for performance improvements. It might have been the older DWS (with no additional numbers) that you experienced. I never had flat-spotting with the ones on my old Cayenne - they were the "06" series.
wizee (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:26 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Wizee - I believe the "06" series came out after 2011 and were noted for performance improvements. It might have been the older DWS (with no additional numbers) that you experienced. I never had flat-spotting with the ones on my old Cayenne - they were the "06" series.
I run PS4S's on my Cayman in the summer, and the DSW 06's in the winter. I don't drive it in the snow, but if it's super cold and I feel like coffee, breakfast or just going for a ride, the DWS 06's have been great.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:33 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 168 Posts

You can use Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ in 275/40/18. They are only 1% bigger than 265 and will work just fine on your Boxster
Old 10-11-2019, 12:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by olegd
You can use Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ in 275/40/18. They are only 1% bigger than 265 and will work just fine on your Boxster
I like your thinking here.. anyone done this?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Kaefer
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I like your thinking here.. anyone done this?
I run this exact setup for the reason you mentioned. 245/40/18 front 275/40/18 rear Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+. No fitment problems whatsoever and ride much smoother than the 19" Bridgestone max performance summer tires I removed. I also run 27f/29r cold tire pressures using the 18" winter tire TPMS setting.

Last edited by Kaefer; 10-11-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

My 350z with Conti DWS tires is stored for five month each year during the winter and has never flat-spotted its tires. Correspondingly, my BMW sedan is driven less in the summer months (because the "z" and Boxster get more use), and it too has no flat spotting.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:22 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't think it's entirely due to the thickness of the tread block, but some tires seem to harden up as they age and wear - and that can be noticeable old vs new.
The taller the block the more the tread squirms to generate heat which is how all-seasons and winter tires work to give grip in cold temps and snow. That squirm also gives the tire some softer feel. Summer tires with large comparatively low tread blocks aren't needed to or made to squirm for that matter and therefore don't. But the compounds are softer therefore the ride quality is good.

If you really want the right answer do what Germans do (by law) and use summer tires in summer and winter tires in winter. Personally I have never felt any Porsche I've owned (all with the lowest profile option tire) to be so stiff I took notice. Your best bet after deciding on your tire of choice is to lower the pressures as much as you can to not degrade grip and provide maximum comfort.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Kaefer
I run this exact setup for the reason you mentioned. 245/40/18 front 275/40/18 rear Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+. No fitment problems whatsoever and ride much smoother than the 19" Bridgestones I removed. I also run 27f/29r cold tire pressures using the 18" winter tire TPMS setting.
I went to do this today, but unfortunately, the PS A/S 3+ in the 275 width is out of stock, and no solid in-stock date given. So I went with the Conti's. We'll see if that's a mistake.. I should have the Conti's on by Wednesday. I think Conti might be one where if you don't like them within so many days, they'll take them back and give a refund. I'll have to check on that.

Thanks ALL for the input. In the end, it was a choice between the A/S 3+ and the DWS-06.. The DWS-06 won (so far) due to accessibility.

I'll report back next week.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Kaefer
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is what TireRack suggests:
  1. Conti EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06
  2. Yokohama ADVEN Sport AS
  3. Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS
I went to do this today, but unfortunately, the PS A/S 3+ in the 275 width is out of stock, and no solid in-stock date given. So I went with the Conti's. We'll see if that's a mistake.. I should have the Conti's on by Wednesday. I think Conti might be one where if you don't like them within so many days, they'll take them back and give a refund. I'll have to check on that.

Thanks ALL for the input. In the end, it was a choice between the A/S 3+ and the DWS-06.. The DWS-06 won (so far) due to accessibility.

I'll report back next week.
From your list I've run the Michelins, Contis, and Bridgestones and all 3 are fine/comfortable street tires. Make sure you set the air pressures to a reasonable level!

Quick Reply: Kinder-gentler tires?