Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyders in the Wild...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

No fixed speed traps, but it’s official 40mph over the moors......
Unfortunately my Spyder doesn’t do 40
Old 12-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster7
Post Christmas blast across Dartmoor.
Perfect blue skies and 8 degrees C.
Lovely, Shaun!

Here's a couple of post-Christmas shots of my own somewhere near the Arizona border.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:32 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Awesome , but no Sageuro ! , reminds me of a great holiday in Arizona. Did a lot of driving and got stuck overnight on a remote B road - will never forget the stars and the cold !
Old 12-28-2018, 04:55 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Awesome , but no Sageuro !

We do associate Arizona with cacti and I saw plenty of them during my 800+ mile trip, but these shots were taken from a dry lake bed where there were none to be found.

Totally right about the stars -- and the cold!
Old 12-28-2018, 05:29 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
We do associate Arizona with cacti and I saw plenty of them during my 800+ mile trip, but these shots were taken from a dry lake bed where there were none to be found.

Totally right about the stars -- and the cold!

Great pics Nick..... now that’s what you call “clear blue skies”

Syders were made for driving and adventures
Old 12-28-2018, 01:35 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That classic silver and red color combo will always be great. It is so good to see that you are enjoying your Spyder as intended Nick! I sometimes wonder if I'm putting too many miles on mine and good to hear you've hit the 15k mark (just exceeded 10K myself). This is such a great and unique car to savor, its great that we have a community that share and understand our insights and passion. The Spyder is one of the few cars that I've owned that I could imagine keeping forever.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Originally Posted by NelsonF
That classic silver and red color combo will always be great. It is so good to see that you are enjoying your Spyder as intended Nick! I sometimes wonder if I'm putting too many miles on mine and good to hear you've hit the 15k mark (just exceeded 10K myself). This is such a great and unique car to savor, its great that we have a community that share and understand our insights and passion. The Spyder is one of the few cars that I've owned that I could imagine keeping forever.
I’m with you NelsonF. When you can sort your head out that this car is a keeper, it completely frees you to bring on the miles and enjoy the adventures.
I’ve been busy planning my 3rd Euro tour with this car. In June I plan on returning to the Swiss Alps, Itialian Dolomites and a few nights in Venice.
Can’t wait !!!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NelsonF
I sometimes wonder if I'm putting too many miles on mine and good to hear you've hit the 15k mark (just exceeded 10K myself).
Congrats on 10K, Nelson!

My best buddy came down with some very challenging health complications this year, which put a lot of things in perspective for me. When my time is up, I don't want to lament how little I drove my car. I suspect none of us on our deathbeds will wish we drove our cars less. If anything, we will be kicking ourselves about that road trip not taken, that serpentine two-lane we bypassed in favor of the super slab to reach our destination sooner, etc., etc.

Originally Posted by Boxster7
I’ve been busy planning my 3rd Euro tour with this car. In June I plan on returning to the Swiss Alps, Itialian Dolomites and a few nights in Venice.
Can’t wait !!!
Oh oh. Sounds like we can expect more pics from your epic annual summer Spyder escapades. Not sure I can take anymore!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:40 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Excellent perspective gentlemen.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

My best buddy came down with some very challenging health complications this year, which put a lot of things in perspective for me. When my time is up, I don't want to lament how little I drove my car. I suspect none of us on our deathbeds will wish we drove our cars less. If anything, we will be kicking ourselves about that road trip not taken, that serpentine two-lane we bypassed in favor of the super slab to reach our destination sooner, etc., etc.
And with the above in mind - despite the 45+ degree heat here today - took the lady for a blast into the city in the Spyder.
Glorious night. Glorious car. I am lucky.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:12 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Full Boost
And with the above in mind - despite the 45+ degree heat here today - took the lady for a blast into the city in the Spyder.
Glorious night. Glorious car. I am lucky.

Of course you are lucky. You own a Spyder and live in the best country in the world.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:01 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Congrats on 10K, Nelson!

Oh oh. Sounds like we can expect more pics from your epic annual summer Spyder escapades. Not sure I can take anymore!
An excellent viewpoint I share as well Nic. I lost a friend / car guy / client this last year at 55 who dropped dead in his kitchen. When the time comes I want memories of driving my Spyder up in the local hills and drives with you guys is SoCal. My Spyder as just over 40K miles on it. It's not a garage queen and has little nicks and blemishes if you look closely. But those are driving beauty spots.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:51 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Took mine out yesterday and today (sorry, no pics) and lamented to my wife that we haven’t taken a cross country trip in our Spyder since we brought it home after buying it. I’ve put very few miles on the car since I’ve owned it, only recently rolling over 8k miles, but I am hoping to change that soon. My biggest challenge is that I typically travel with a guitar and amp plus luggage when I am on the road, but I may have to downsize for a trip so I can stretch the legs of my Spyder.

There’s few things less sad than a low mileage Porsche.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:47 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
Of course you are lucky. You own a Spyder and live in the best country in the world.
With the sheer amount of revenue raising and dbl demerits and now the $$$ tickets to access PUBLIC spaces on NYE - Sydney has got to the dogs. Beautiful sure - but - I will debate the merits of "the best country" all day......

Adelaide is nicer and has better roads too!

Old 12-30-2018, 05:09 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Boost
With the sheer amount of revenue raising and dbl demerits and now the $$$ tickets to access PUBLIC spaces on NYE - Sydney has got to the dogs. Beautiful sure - but - I will debate the merits of "the best country" all day......

Adelaide is nicer and has better roads too!
Agree 100 per cent. I live in Adelaide!

Quick Reply: Spyders in the Wild...