981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:19 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default 981 Spyder!!!!

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Couldn't agree less. In some of the pictures this may be the case, but in person you are talking about an entirely different car. I don't like Boxsters one Iota - no offense and I won't go into details because these things are subjective -clearly. I will say that I saw both at the NY auto show and there was no comparison. The Spyder looks stretched out - and resembles an older car something like a ferrari from the 60s-70s That gt4 bumper and those extra couple of centimeters in length make a huge difference especially with the lower suspension. The air vent up front which creates downforce really signals this is a serious car. The wheels look awesome, Skinny up front and very thick in back and if you didn't notice the brakes are huge in comparison. There is also some rawness to the car that you can see by looking through the wheel wells into the architecture of the car which makes it look like a bespoke supercar. I'm pretty visually oriented so maybe it's just my discerning eye. Just my 2 cents from seeing the cars in person side by side.
In pictures what you're saying doesn't show up.. It just looks a little boxster+.. Hopefully in real life we'll get to see some of that supercar presence which the gt4 has so much of.. Maybe even more so with the lower roofline.

The gt4 scoops and larger front rubber spoiler are going to be good mods for this car IMO.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UK configurator refers to "garnet red natural leather" for classic interior
Old 09-01-2015, 10:53 AM
pkman981
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

White/carrara white ( I can't tell) spyder from PFF

Old 09-01-2015, 10:54 AM
pkman981
Advanced

Another silver one

Old 09-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing the red stitching makes me glad I opted for it. Mixed about the carbon fiber trim though.
That last silver pic almost looks like platinum silver because of the shade.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:03 AM
pkman981
Advanced

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Seeing the red stitching makes me glad I opted for it. Mixed about the carbon fiber trim though.
That last silver pic almost looks like platinum silver because of the shade.
The red stitching does look well done. I like the leather backed seats with the stitching too, but it's ridiculously priced on the configurator. I was thinking the same about the shading on the silver. Looks like platinum, except for the roll hoops. Roll hoops look like GT. Haha.. Here is a new sapphire blue from Autogespot

Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Oh wow, hadn't noticed the leather seat backs. It does look nice but there is no way I could get myself to pay for leather on the back of a seat in a 2 seat car. Lol

The blue looks gorgeous with silver wheels.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
UK configurator refers to "garnet red natural leather" for classic interior
Excellent. Really will make a difference in longevity of that interior.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Definitely sort of pissed about carmine red being absent because that would have been awesome and I would have went there. I didn't want to pay PTS prices for a color offered on other cars at half the cost. Wish I had more time to consider the PTS color option. It seemed like the window was open for a couple of weeks and came about with no warning! Carmine Red really would have played up the Ferrari look that the car seems to court IMO. I've heard other Ferrari mentions in a couple of reviews so I know I'm not crazy. I bet next years models if there is one will have more options in the color department. There were going to be 600 Gt4s but now I think some are speculating it's going to be more like 600+ cars. My SA said I was lucky and that they only got 4 Spyder allocations this is in NYC but who knows. Grain of Salt.
Love Carmine red but couldn't see paying 5500 for it when it's $3000 less on the boxster/cayman/gt4.
I'm also a little pissed we don't get deviated stitching on wheel / shift boot when the gt4 does.

I'll say it again, you are lucky to have picked a custom color, and you picked a strong one with personality. It's going to look amazing.
Thanks!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgt04115
Is it just me or do the new spyders just look like nice boxsters?????? Great cars for sure, but something is missing for me.
I think the 981 Spyder is a smaller visual difference compared to the Boxster than was the case in the 987. I think this is mainly the case because the 987 Boxster is somewhat awkwardly proportioned, especially with the top up. The 987 Spyder’s humpback really brought balance to the design, and it looked a lot less awkward. The 981 Boxster is a lot more balanced, even with the top up, so the Spyder body kit doesn’t add much. If anything the overly long front bumper makes the design a little less balanced and more fussy ...
Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default 981 Spyder!!!!

Those leather stitches seat backs on a convertible are probably the only time I would spec them.. You can really enjoy the stitching whereas on a coupe they are invisible. And they are Still less than the price of LWB. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to that thin side-blade profile of the LWB and I can't imagine ordering without them.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Those leather stitches seat backs on a convertible are probably the only time I would spec them.. You can really enjoy the stitching whereas on a coupe they are invisible. And they are Still less than the price of LWB. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to that thin side-blade profile of the LWB and I can't imagine ordering without them.
On a 911 convertible for sure. My seat backs ( currently have the 18 ways) are always against the back wall (I'm 5' 10) so I'm not sure you would be able to appreciate them fully on a 981.

Wish I liked the LWB more, they do look really cool.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:24 PM
pkman981
Advanced

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
On a 911 convertible for sure. My seat backs ( currently have the 18 ways) are always against the back wall (I'm 5' 10) so I'm not sure you would be able to appreciate them fully on a 981.

Wish I liked the LWB more, they do look really cool.

I agree with you on the leather backed seats. On a 911 cab they would be nice with the sport seat plus, because the back of the seats are so exposed. On a boxster or cayman, for that matter, not worth the price IMHO. I currently have the LWB's specced, but if I change my mind and get the sport seats, I won't be optioning leather covered backs. I do like the carbon fiber on the backs of the buckets though, and is why I'm going with carbon trim on the interior. (unless I man up, grow a sack, and get the classic red interior) ....... I am driving to my dealer this weekend to check out a carrara white turbo with black and red interior to see, if how I like it!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:01 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

leather seat backs, no leather seat backs ... yadda yadda ...

this car must have buckets.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
leather seat backs, no leather seat backs ...
this car must have buckets.

Buckets are a dime a dozen...

But those humps are pretty damn special...

yadda yadda...yadda!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!