Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Dash Shrinkage Options for 981

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:53 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Leather Dash Shrinkage Options for 981

The leather dash on my 2013 Boxster has started to shrink and bubble up in a few spots. I'm considering a few options, including having a shop pull the windshield, stretch the leather and glue/rivet it back down. The only catch here is if the windshield breaks, I'm liable for the replacement. (Total cost is around $800-1500 from the quotes I got.

I want to make sure i'm considering all options before I make a decision. Has anyone had experience with leather / carpeted covers, similar to a dashmat? I'm looking for something that's relatively expensive that will look close to OEM.

And before you all flame me, I know this is considered "minor" to you, but when you have compulsive OCD like me, I'm ripping out my hair every time I see it.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Typically a repair like this would require the dash top to be removed (which can be done without removing glass) and then having the repair done. I would talk to an upholstery shop or the dealer to see if they can recommend someone.

I’m curious what may have led to the lifting, did you buy the car used and or can you confirm what products were being used on the dash? Or perhaps the car was exposed to high temperatures for long periods?
Old 08-31-2019, 10:43 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Typically a repair like this would require the dash top to be removed (which can be done without removing glass) and then having the repair done. I would talk to an upholstery shop or the dealer to see if they can recommend someone.

I’m curious what may have led to the lifting, did you buy the car used and or can you confirm what products were being used on the dash? Or perhaps the car was exposed to high temperatures for long periods?
All of the upholstery shops said they’d have to remove the windshield to work on it. I’ll search later tonight to see if I can find articles on removing the dash top and see if it is something I am willing to tackle as I think this will reduce the cost significantly.

The car was purchased from a dealer in idaho and had this issue when i saw it. I know for a fact it had sat in the sun for 3-4 straights in 90+ degree weather. Unsure of what products was used on it.

The car also came with a sunshade in the trunk, which leads me to believe the last owner likely covered it up in the sun. Makes me wonder if the 4 weeks in the sun at the dealer can shrink a dash...
Old 08-31-2019, 10:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’m pretty confident the dash can be removed, we had a member that recently had their dash replaced from the standard rubber to leather which is basically replacing the entire dash top. I would talk to another shop or the dealer to see what is standard.

I doubt 4 weeks in the heat would cause the leather to lift but if the dealer or previous owner used large quantities of product or cleaner it could have caused the glue to weaken which would lead to lifting.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:38 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

I’m pretty confident the dash can be removed, we had a member that recently had their dash replaced from the standard rubber to leather which is basically replacing the entire dash top. I would talk to another shop or the dealer to see what is standard.

I doubt 4 weeks in the heat would cause the leather to lift but if the dealer or previous owner used large quantities of product or cleaner it could have caused the glue to weaken which would lead to lifting.
Hopefully they’ll chime in. I havent been able to find any dash removal posts yet.

i have found some salvage yards selling black dashes for the 981 for under $300. Only downside is I’ll lose the deviated stitching.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here’s the link regarding the dash change, maybe try reaching out to see what was involved. https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...chilada-4.html
Old 09-01-2019, 02:24 AM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Here’s the link regarding the dash change, maybe try reaching out to see what was involved. https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...chilada-4.html
Thanks!! Ouch.. 7-8 hours of labor sounds pretty involved to remove the dash.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:23 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure what we're looking at, do you have any better photos from a different angle? Is there an area (webbing between two points) that's lifting because the leather has shrunk in between? Is it really the leather that is the problem, or just adhesive failure (or both)?

Also, why is the leather so glossy? I wonder if it was over-conditioned (causing the leather moisture level to change and affect the hide's "tension" and/or affect the adhesive underneath too).
Old 09-02-2019, 12:44 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gearFX
I'm not sure what we're looking at, do you have any better photos from a different angle? Is there an area (webbing between two points) that's lifting because the leather has shrunk in between? Is it really the leather that is the problem, or just adhesive failure (or both)?

Also, why is the leather so glossy? I wonder if it was over-conditioned (causing the leather moisture level to change and affect the hide's "tension" and/or affect the adhesive underneath too).
Here is another photo from the windshield. It appears to have shrunken and the adhesive failed.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another likely less expensive alternative is to contact one of the aftermarket leather trim shops, I bet they could get that dash off in a shorter amount of time and replace the leather with the same matching stitching. I believe there’s a shop in NorCal that does this.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:08 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

I wanted to add some closure to this thread. I ended up taking the car to an upholstery shop who had experience working with shrinking leather dashes. The process involved removing the windshield, lifting up the leather, stretching it, and re-gluing it all back down together. On one section, they had to add a leather extension to be able to tuck the leather under the dash and secure it.

The following users liked this post:
Tmc981 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Looks like a great outcome. Thanks for following up and sharing.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:43 PM
dreamcast731
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandobot
I wanted to add some closure to this thread. I ended up taking the car to an upholstery shop who had experience working with shrinking leather dashes. The process involved removing the windshield, lifting up the leather, stretching it, and re-gluing it all back down together. On one section, they had to add a leather extension to be able to tuck the leather under the dash and secure it.

Looks great now!!! May I ask which shop did the repair work? I'm from the Bay Area too, just want to know for references!

Old 01-16-2020, 09:53 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dreamcast731
Looks great now!!! May I ask which shop did the repair work? I'm from the Bay Area too, just want to know for references!
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pacific-coa...q=auto+leather
The following 2 users liked this post by brandobot:
deilenberger (01-17-2020), dreamcast731 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:42 AM
Tmc981
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the follow-up. I wish more users would do the same.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (01-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Leather Dash Shrinkage Options for 981