Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
Where'd you source the brackets? Did you line them with silicone where they clamp to the trunk lid?
The brackets were leftovers from a cheap ebay wing that I hacked up for another project a few years ago. The brackets are quite sturdy and good quality, so I kept them. I have another pair that I'll be using for a removable hood light bar setup.

I'll see if I can find a similar product available, but it can be hard to determine what might actually be a quality part with current ebay listings...

I lined the inside of the clamp with a thick 3M VHB tape. Helps hold it in place and holds the whole bracket slightly away from the actual trunk lid, so there is no metal on metal contact.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:58 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

I've read a lot of posts about people complaining of the sloppy gear shifter and long throw in these cars.
Coming from the C30, which has a very short shift throw, I've never had any gripes with the 987.

Well, last night I discovered the first owner installed a Schnell short shift kit. No wonder I haven't had any complaints!

The following users liked this post:
Mark_BeezBlogs (08-11-2022)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Well, last night I discovered the first owner installed a Schnell short shift kit.
Looks identical to the very popular B&M shifter, Agency Power, Racing Dynamics, EVO, and others available on eBay. Supposedly a 35-40% throw reduction.

Cool that it matches your color scheme too
Old 02-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

Is the top slipping outside the window frame when closing? Cheap Utube elastic fix.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by Zach L
Looks identical to the very popular B&M shifter, Agency Power, Racing Dynamics, EVO, and others available on eBay. Supposedly a 35-40% throw reduction.

Cool that it matches your color scheme too
The car came with a bunch of receipts from Pelican Parts for other accessories, so I was assuming it was the SSK they offered, but you might be right! They all kind of look the same.

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Is the top slipping outside the window frame when closing? Cheap Utube elastic fix.
What?
There have been no problems with my roof or it's closed-position-alignment other than that plastic joint snapping and allowing the roof to collapse.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:38 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Transferred over the tow hook from my previous car. Blue to match the vinyl.

I plan to recover the shift ****, but for now, I colored in the numbers blue.

Because I come from racing Volvos, the Volsche decals are a fun little tribute which are easily overlooked. For those who don't know, the prancing moose is a Volvo icon that has been in use for about 30 years. Volvo will actually sell you the prancing moose badge, but this Volsche badge is an obvious Porsche spoof.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

I color matched the tunnel console to my white and blue. I have new seats on order and will be making a new shift boot to match the seats.

It might be a track build, but I still drive it to and from the track. I mounted my radar detector to the center grille and routed the wiring behind the dash.
In my opinion, radar detectors will not save you from tickets. But when moving with the flow of traffic, it's nice to know if there's a cop up ahead or behind, because they'll always zero-in on the Porsche in a group of speeding cars.

I've never used the radio in this car, so I took it out. In the process, I found a Dension Gateway! I had my suspicions that the USB and ipod adapters weren't factory. So that'll be up for sale soon...
I then cut a plate out of Lexan to fill the void and be a mounting surface for my GPS, oil pressure gauge, and any future items that I wish to add.

Yes, there is currently a boost gauge fitted, but that was only for test fitting a 52mm gauge.
The wiring for the GPS is nicely hidden and now I can use it for recording a few things on track.
I plan to pull the air controls face plate and the trim under the dash to wrap in white as well.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:19 AM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Car looks good, would like to see the roll cage sometime, you running the NASA event at Road Atlanta in March ?
Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by patrickkirby
Car looks good, would like to see the roll cage sometime, you running the NASA event at Road Atlanta in March ?
I won't be this year. Probably just doing some private track days.

Been spending a lot of time (and money) helping my wife build her track car, so we can both go out and play.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did you source a $100 Carbon Fiber wing center section?

Car is coming along very nicely, always nice to find some upgrades you were unaware of.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by Rick_H
Where did you source a $100 Carbon Fiber wing center section?
I won it on eBay. One of the best deals I've scored online.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:10 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

got it, catch you on the dragon one of these days then. My son is taking his C30 up next weekend.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:24 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by patrickkirby
got it, catch you on the dragon one of these days then. My son is taking his C30 up next weekend.
He should join us for C30s CTDX in May! 10th and final official year for the event. There is info on C30Crew.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:34 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

I'll let him know. I will be up there three weeks earlier for the Mini's event, with the Boxster of course.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:45 AM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT

I won it on eBay. One of the best deals I've scored online.
Id say that was quite the score....Ive been trying to decide exactly what I want on my Cayman S, I really like the Getty RS style wing but I'm not sure how Id like it on the street, love the look and can see how it will function nicely with the splitter I plan to add for some DE action.

Quick Reply: MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread