Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Did a few Dragon runs and Blood mountain runs last weekend. A few more tweaks to the suspension and it'll be perfect. It's getting there! I promised myself I wouldn't order any more parts until after Christmas, so my to-do list will be completed early in the new year.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:36 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

3 of the last 4 weekend at the Dragon have been a great way to enjoy the fall colors.

I was selected twice for photo of the week! Please go vote at: http://www.129photos.com/

The following users liked this post:
BigBob (02-16-2021)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

Car is a little low for my tastes, but I love what you're doing and thanks for the ongoing posts! Please keep the updates coming
Old 12-04-2018, 08:59 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

I opened up the fake grilles in the wheel well liners for better venting from the radiators. Modified on left, stock on right.

The shape of the exit tunnel is designed to flow through the entire open grille. Even the plastic that closed these off was super thin and flimsy in comparison to the rest of the wheel well liner.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

That's awesome! Thanks for the recommendation ...going to be sure to do that when I remove the front bumper to clean all the leaves and debris from in front of the side radiators.

Gotta love free and effective modifications!
Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

In preparation for a 3rd radiator, I opened up the center section and added a mesh grille. Porsche sells the open inner retaining frame for ~$45, but 5 minutes with a dremel tool gets you the same thing. Low quality phone pics:

Using the same mesh, I made grilles for the side radiators to prevent major debris, leaves, frogs, etc. from getting stuck in there. Here was an early test fit:

I opted to secure the mesh to the ducts feeding to the radiators, rather than the bumper, so that the bumper cover and fog lights can still be easily removed. Most aftermarket mesh inserts fit in-front-of or behind the factory grille, which looks like an aftermarket afterthought to me... With the way the fog light attaches to the bumper cover, this was the best option I found for fully protecting the radiators while still making bulb changes and level adjustments easy.
Here is the final test fitting before putting the ducts back in place:

Old 01-03-2019, 09:16 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

These cars are so well balanced, but I need more downforce for high speed cornering. I have a larger rear wing on order, so to maintain the balance up front, I have built a prototype splitter out of plywood. Brackets attach to the chassis so both the splitter and bumper can still be removed separately. Also for when it inevitably gets damaged at the track, it *shouldn't* take the bumper out with it. Still needs a few more adjustments, but its sitting level with the under body, it's pretty strong, and only adds about 10lbs of stationary weight. I'll do some testing with this version and later build one out of aluminum or carbon fiber.

Test fit with the bumper has everything lining up nicely too.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:08 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

That is a massive splitter. I wouldn't rock plywood when there's alumalite and other light and easy options out there, but assume it'll be made into something more substantial soon as you said. I hope you have a big wing to balance that. Have you tracked that car yet without aero?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:38 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
That is a massive splitter. I wouldn't rock plywood when there's alumalite and other light and easy options out there, but assume it'll be made into something more substantial soon as you said. I hope you have a big wing to balance that. Have you tracked that car yet without aero?
Plywood is just for prototyping and testing. It's much easier hacking up a $10 wooden board before I cut into the expensive stuff.

I did two track events since getting the suspension dialed in. Taking it kind of easy until I get a deep sump... But this car is so much fun!
High speed corners (100+mph) left some down force to be desired. It's well balanced and planted, but I think it could be better. I have GT4-style wing waiting to be installed; the goal is to keep the front-to-rear downforce balance about the same.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:54 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Cool. IME, that big of a splitter can handle a wing much more aggressive than the GT4 one (such as cup wing, Brooks carbon wing, or APR 300), but it would prob be fine with the lower DF of the GT4 version. What tracks? I have felt the stock 987/1 is pretty light through the esses at VIR (which are ~110-125 mph in these cars w/o wings depending on *****, tires, and suspension), but otherwise it's pretty decent at most SE USA tracks (I'm in TN not far from you).
Old 01-03-2019, 04:32 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Cool. IME, that big of a splitter can handle a wing much more aggressive than the GT4 one (such as cup wing, Brooks carbon wing, or APR 300), but it would prob be fine with the lower DF of the GT4 version. What tracks? I have felt the stock 987/1 is pretty light through the esses at VIR (which are ~110-125 mph in these cars w/o wings depending on *****, tires, and suspension), but otherwise it's pretty decent at most SE USA tracks (I'm in TN not far from you).
The wing I bought might actually be larger than the GT4 one. It was advertised as a GT4-style and flows well with the lines of the car, but it's about 56" wide. I think the Porsche wing is ~54," so not a huge difference. I don't know the brand, but it's real carbon fiber. It had a clear coat defect, so I got it for $170 shipped. Waiting on different brackets that will allow for a bit more adjustability.

My favorite track is Atlanta Motorsport Park because it's slower speed and a lot more technical.
Road Atlanta is my other local track. The elevation changes are fun, but it's a bit too high speed for my taste. You can be wide open throttle on the back straight and get passed by a bunch of rich boys in faster expensive toys, but then you're right back on them by turn 12 and through the esses. Road Atlanta is really where I consider additional down force to be necessary.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:18 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to want a roll cage, but since I would be driving on the street 99.9999999% of the time, it was not worth it to me. Even if you get into a tiny accident, if your head makes contact with any of the tubes...you're in trouble. And I was not prepared to wear a helmet everywhere I drove. Best of luck to you in not smacking your meat suit against the cage in any event.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:12 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

We designed this cage for head clearance. Even with a helmet and no hans device, your helmet should never be able to make contact with any solid object in the car.

Height is a big factor in this. I have one friend who sat in my car, even with my seats (which are lower than stock), his forehead was above the windshield level. Needless to say, he's too tall for a roadster and we didn't drive anywhere.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

The front grilles are finished.

Bubbabuzz (09-21-2020)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Finally got the "smiley" radiator vent installed, which was really easy and took less than an hour. Full front end shots to come once it stops raining.

Added the same mesh that I have been using.

Bubbabuzz (09-21-2020)

Quick Reply: MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread