Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 05:41 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

this is setting up to be just like the original GT4 PTS where a window opens up and if you're "in the window" you can order PTS
would be better if PAG were forthcoming now and state, PTS window will not open until week xx in 2020
then, if you want PTS you can delay your build and let someone else take an early build

we never had an opportunity to order PTS during the original GT4 production because we didn't have an allocation
dealers said the car was "sold out"
the PTS window had opened and then closed before we were told about availability of an allocation

perhaps they are doing like GT3 and getting an "indication of interest" so they can batch all of the PTS orders

regarding LTS
when we visited Yana the Cayman was being built in Osnabrück but the Boxster was being built in Stuttgart
certain CXX leather options were available on the Boxster but not on the Cayman (could not get an answer as to why)
all of the nice LTS examples on the 911 probably won't apply to Caymans being built in Osnabrück
paying all of that money for LTS doesn't make sense if you get a piecemeal looking interior

Originally Posted by Z356
So there is NO EXCUSE for Porsche not to offer it's most loyal
& faithful customers (those that put hard-earned money deposits long ago
at P-dealers to be on the 718 Spyder/GT4 wait list) the option of Paint-to-
Sample on those early allocations. I think it's high time we stop making
excuses for PAG for the way they treat their loyal customers. And the
sooner the better

In general, I would say that
being 'patient & wait' doesn't describe the mood many people I know
here at Rennlist.

Maybe 'patience' will be rewarded
in a year or two. But if that is the case, there is something wrong with
Porsche's 'Best Practices' in regards sales planning to their very loyal
customers!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 07-13-2019, 06:09 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Eduardo,

I will ask him what Grigio it was when it arrives. He did not know, he showed them his Medium/Dark grey DB9 and said it me the grey closest to that. One small point of clarification, for speedster, PTS was actually not available for the early builds, the PTS builds are all later in the build cycle. The difference was that all allocations were distributed at once, unlike the rounds of allocations for other cars so while you could order PTS at the outset, you would still be waiting, albeit not long given the short build cycle.

I agree it was very disappointIng that there were so few colors offered on the 981 spyder and so few made in PTS. Perhaps only matched by the no US PTS GT3RS 991.2.

I just saw this CXX build sheet on Instagram which I think is a helpful example for those with patience (and deep pockets).

Last edited by evilfij; 07-13-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
Cringed to watch him lower the roof without securing the flaps at 1:40 - 2:30. He just leaves them loose and you can hear the hard fasteners clank as he drops the roof.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:22 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,617 Likes on 889 Posts

I never secured the flaps on my 981... it puts too much stress on the woven roof material as you have to twist them when you click them in place. The folds are unnatural and not necessary. I work with textiles for work and the design is flawed how you secure them. I would slowly lower the roof making sure the buttresses were laying more natural out of the way. Never had a issue and never had messy creases. Not sure why Porsche did the twist.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
For reference:

The leather to sample thread (mainly focused on the option not CXX) I started.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9983...le-thread.html

The CXX thread I started.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...th-prices.html
Great info in these threads. Really enjoyed the detail. Thanks for taking the laboring oar.

. . . . . Luckily we have a very good crowd here in the 981 forum. But it's not a disease
just affecting us at Rennlist. I recently found out the hard way that the FerrariChat crowd makes our spoiled brats often found in our
991 gt3 forum look like mature & savvy chaps! . . . .
No need to put up with any baloney from uncivilized heathens. You know where to come to feel the love!

Originally Posted by evilfij
. . . . .I agree it was very disappointIng that there were so few colors offered on the 981 spyder and so few made in PTS.
I'm guessing you meant to refer to the 987 Spyder as there were 10 colors offered on the 981 Spyder, all of them fairly well received. I don't recall any/much moaning at all about the color offerings on the 981 Spyder -- certainly nothing like the complaints currently being voiced with respect to the 982 Spyder.
The following 2 users liked this post by Suicide Jockey:
DFW01TT (07-14-2019), evilfij (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:40 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I never secured the flaps on my 981... it puts too much stress on the woven roof material as you have to twist them when you click them in place. The folds are unnatural and not necessary. I work with textiles for work and the design is flawed how you secure them. I would slowly lower the roof making sure the buttresses were laying more natural out of the way. Never had a issue and never had messy creases. Not sure why Porsche did the twist.
Interesting. Definitely not the procedure recommended by Porsche.

The procedure for lowering the top in detail:

1.Electrically unlatch the top and rear trunk lid by pushing the top button.
2.Manually detach ends of fins from the rear trunk lid and insert them into the pocket provided for them on the top.
3.Open the rear trunk lid.
4.Manually stow the top.
5.Close the rear trunk lid.
6.Close the top cover flaps, left and right.

I have to think they went through the trouble of putting the "pockets" in the roof itself for a reason on the 981 (which it appears they have now repeated on the 982), but I'm no engineer (or textile expert!).

In any event, my guess is this reviewer didn't make a conscious decision (as you did) to avert the extra step of securing the flaps in the roof before lowering. He just didn't know better.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:37 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Great info in these threads. Really enjoyed the detail. Thanks for taking the laboring oar.

I'm guessing you meant to refer to the 987 Spyder as there were 10 colors offered on the 981 Spyder, all of them fairly well received. I don't recall any/much moaning at all about the color offerings on the 981 Spyder -- certainly nothing like the complaints currently being voiced with respect to the 982 Spyder.
Correct, thank you for pointing out the mistake (I mean that sincerely). I was mixing my spyders. 981 very few PTS, 987 very few colors factory available. Although no factory green on 981 so disappointing there. And thank you for complimenting the threads. RL is really a great place for people sharing info if you can get past the occasional sharp elbow. As you may gather from my postings, I am a horrible insomniac and don’t sleep much so doing things like aggregate information like that gives me something to do quietly at night as as to not bother my significant other.

I hope for Eduardo's sake and others that they expand the color offerings on the 981 spyder. I was sure they were going to add 992 colors when I saw they expanded the color choices for the regular 718 on the German configurator, and they did add gentian blue, but I was hoping for adveturine green (which, if I am honest, is too grey and metallic for my taste), but that is only available on the regular 718. I think Lizard would look great and lava too. As Eduardo says, hope spring eternal. I would be very happy with a new green a while into production. That would be as good or better than PTS for me. As I told my dealer with both the GT3 and now with the spyder order, I am fine with the last one off the line, but I really like green Porsches. .
Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

I don't know for sure but the fact is few people even know that option is available. It wasn't when
we started discussing in Rennlist these special options (later to be known as CXX) back in 2012.
Here is what a Rennlister I know from the gt3 forum recently text me about 'piping' and it's cost.
In his case, it involved the LWS 'Full Buckets' offered on the gt3 & also the 718 Boxster Spyder.

"The blue piping (or any color piping you want from a handful of colors they have) is one of the choices
that’s included in the CXX fully customized seats, which also lets you choose any color of leather for the
seat bolsters, any color leather for the inserts or else alcantara or houndstooth options for the inserts,
and choice of a few different embroidery/embossing options on the headrests (and choice of stitching
color for that headrest embroidery). You can also have just regular stitching instead of piping and choose
any available color of that for the seats too. Altogether, it’s an $8875 option. In my case, I used it to do
the black/silver houndstooth inserts and blue piping. I paid another $1100 or so extra for the “special wish”
to have them embroider the “touring” script logo into the headrests instead of the customary options which
would have been either “GT3” script logo only embroidered, “GT3” script logo embroidery and Porsche crest
embossed, or just Porsche crest embossed.

In my case I just went with the standard black smooth leather for the seat bolsters despite having the option

had I wanted to choose a different color leather for them for the same price. I’ve seen some beautiful CXX
seats others have done with different color leathers on the seats in combination with the houndstooth inserts.
But I think it only works well if you also start choosing that same leather for other parts of interior like center
console armrest, door cars, dash, etc, and if you do that, each of those becomes another expensive CXX
option and you can easily exceed $25K in CXX interior leather options alone to make it all coordinate."

So hopefully this information might be of some value to anyone that might be interested in this, albeit
very expensive, option.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Precisely how I've ordered my speedster.

Thanks.

If anyone is discussing Eduardo and his 488, I've seen it. It's beautiful, over-the-top and gorgeous!!
Old 07-14-2019, 05:30 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Yachting Blue Leather, Pepita inserts, Pebble Grey piping/deviated stitching, and CF — my dream combo. When the lottery hits, I won’t think twice.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

S P E C T A C U L A R .......
Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

First review in. Needles to say, 5 stars...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...er-2019-review
Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
First review in. Needles to say, 5 stars...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...er-2019-review
Reviewers keep claiming almost 100kg difference ... I believe that since the press brochure wasn't clear about this reviewers just pick this up immediately. Anyway, they all manage to put a doubt, so maybe Andreas got it wrong and claiming just 30kg of apples to apples comparison is not correct.. I hope somebody would tackle this and measure the real weight of an 981 against 982 to stop the debate once them for all...
Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Yachting Blue Leather, Pepita inserts, Pebble Grey piping/deviated stitching, and CF — my dream combo. When the lottery hits, I won’t think twice.

MY GOD.

Would not hesitate to spend $25k to get something like that.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
Reviewers keep claiming almost 100kg difference ... I believe that since the press brochure wasn't clear about this reviewers just pick this up immediately. Anyway, they all manage to put a doubt, so maybe Andreas got it wrong and claiming just 30kg of apples to apples comparison is not correct.. I hope somebody would tackle this and measure the real weight of an 981 against 982 to stop the debate once them for all...
If that makes it easier for me to get an allocation, I'm ok with the people spreading this misinformation :P
Old 07-15-2019, 04:46 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

good point!!.. the bad news though is that probably the next video coming out will be the Mr. Catchpole one, and he knows... but hey!, lets keep our finger crossed now for more hideous vacuum cleaner noises, so that I (and the rest of the world besides EU) can get and earlier allocation and that GPF deleted from factory!! thanks Euro6d committee!

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?