Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Want the Red Inserts for the Sport Buckets

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Anyone Else Want the Red Inserts for the Sport Buckets

Back in June I was reading an article on the new GT3 RS4 and as I looked through the pages I saw a pic of the interior and the Sport Bucket Seats. Porsche swapped out the Grey Alcantara Inserts used in the Spyder and replaced them with a bright red Alcantara which matches the seat belts and door straps. Ever since I saw them I have wanted a set! They really add to the sporty/racy look of the interior and stand out against the black leather.

Am I the only nut that wants these? Here are a few shots.
Attached Images   
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Afshin: I tried to get them on my '12 Spyder with sport buckets. Porsche Exclusive turned me down. Said that combination is reserved only for the gt2 RS and I guess now the gt3 RS 4.0 Limited Edition.

In any case, Suncoast might get them in the future. But look at the prices for the inlay inserts in regular alcantara in black! And I bet in 'red' it will be even more!
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...er_interioralc

Saludos, z356
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

The red inserts would look great in my GT3, but WTF is with the price, I'll pass
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Suncoast was the first place I checked and my jaw dropped when I saw the prices for the black inserts. You're right, Porsche will definitely charge more for the red if they make them available.

It's not something I plan on doing immediately but I'm thinking some time next year I'd like to get these and the red alcantara shift ****. That will make the interior pop.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red is awesome. I haven't taken delivery of my MY2012 Spyder yet (very soon though). Are the covers for the inserts removable? You could take a crack at custom after-market option using the factory cores.

It really is amazing looking at what a premium they demand for buckets and inserts. Makes you feel like you robbed a bank as a Spyder owner. A small regional bank with $6k on hand, but a robbery nonetheless! :-)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 PM
jabbey
Advanced

So, after reading a description of the inserts, it looks like they are proper covers for cushions. So, I'll make the leap that we can just take these covers off.

Next step, where do we get some genuine fabric: http://www.gulffabrics.com/alccolor.htm

Turns out this company does just that. Specializing in automotive fabrics and the uses the name brand Alcantara. They even have a link to the fabric manufacturer and sure enough we get the Porsche GT3 RS 4.0 being promoted right on their site. Select color 4996 and we've got the real deal Porsche inserts you've got your sites on.

So, my guess is you could get a auto customizer to take measurements from your existing covers, order the material, and have this fabricated for a lot less than $4k. I think I found my first project for the winter when the car can't get out!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

That looks really good!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 PM
balakris
Instructor

Those look awesome with the black or white cars. Might be too much red for a Guards Red car.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jabbey
So, after reading a description of the inserts, it looks like they are proper covers for cushions. So, I'll make the leap that we can just take these covers off.

Next step, where do we get some genuine fabric: http://www.gulffabrics.com/alccolor.htm

Turns out this company does just that. Specializing in automotive fabrics and the uses the name brand Alcantara. They even have a link to the fabric manufacturer and sure enough we get the Porsche GT3 RS 4.0 being promoted right on their site. Select color 4996 and we've got the real deal Porsche inserts you've got your sites on.

So, my guess is you could get a auto customizer to take measurements from your existing covers, order the material, and have this fabricated for a lot less than $4k. I think I found my first project for the winter when the car can't get out!
Wow, you're fast! My wife was saying the exact same thing about having a set made for the Spyder and it would be super easy if you have the factory ones sitting next to them to mock up the new ones. We would need to figure out what kind of foam is used underneath but that shouldn't be too difficult.

If you call Gulf Fabrics let us know what the cost is for the Alcantara.

Nice work!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be interested as well. I thought of this idea before, but didn't even pursue it once I found that the standard gray cushions were $4K.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO I think the red inserts would be too much for the Spyder. Reminds me of a Honda (yea I said it)
I personally only like the Steering wheel, dont really care for the red shifter either. I called Suncoast twice about the steering wheel, emailed, and never heard anything back.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 PM
gwc
Advanced

Default I checked into these when I picked up my car.

I had the dealer parts guy check into these when I picked up my new car last week. I can get the part numbers (I am not at home) as he printed me out the PET sheets with diagrams and part numbers. List was about $3300 for the seat bottoms and backs for the pair. He told me these were available and even available in red leather, but I did not order them yet so I would not be able to confirm this.

He told me the red alcantra tends to fade to a pink shade as it wears, and he strongly recommended the red leather. I think it would be a easy job for a decent interior guy to make a few sets. I would love to have a red leather set, think it would set off the interior nicely.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

I would prefer to see the cushions available in matching sand beige or carrera red leather as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:27 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

The torino RK gives you an idea of full carrera red leather in a black interior is like

Do you guys see the behind the seats. I think it would be cool to have quilted cushions.
Or weaved leather, or perforated leather like the Singer 911
Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gwc
He told me these were available and even available in red leather, but I did not order them yet so I would not be able to confirm this...I would love to have a red leather set, think it would set off the interior nicely.
I checked into this too at the time I ordered my Aqua/Carrera Red Spyder less than two months ago. Leather inserts instead of alcantara were available to me under a Porsche Exclusive part #. And in Carrera Red to match my interior too. It was reasonably priced - around $635 for it from factory (both seats). However, these inlays do not come with any perforations on the leather surface, which I would have preferred from a design perspective.

In the end, I decided to leave the seat inlays in alcantara (standard). Instead, I ordered the 'Additional Alcantara Pkg' for the door panels & handles. So these will be the only two black alcantara items in my Spyder's interior. The cost was about the same as the leather inserts for the bucket seats - $665 or so. I think the alcantara represents better the 'spirit' of the Spyder concept and it copies the material which Porsche used on the interior of their top-of-the-line gt3 RS models. z356

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Want the Red Inserts for the Sport Buckets