Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
The German steering is PS+ here; don't believe there's a choice in Germany, as far as I know. For some reason, the steering calibration was changed for the US market, but don't know the specifics (supposedly only at slow speeds), or why. I was told the above by a dealer owner, and I've seen it mentioned on forums as well, so I believe it to be true. My steering is not light at all, so wouldn't be happy with it any harder than it already is. It feels perfect to me at all speeds (on the firm side), and actually better than the hydraulic Caymans I remember. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that makes sense. I have the PS+ on my Cayman GTS and find the steering feel better than the 991.1, but not quit as good as the 997.1. As a maybe interesting side note, I exported my 991.1 C4S with PS+ to Germany, where they updated the SW. After the SW update the steering felt different and it was definitely harder to turn the wheel at lower speeds. I went back to the dealership and asked if they had deleted the PS+ by mistake and the looked at me as if I were on drugs or something and did not know what I was talking about. So I explained a bit more, they did something, charged me EUR 275, and now the steering feels way better. Wonder what happened.

Quick Reply: 981 thoughts