Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:01 AM
iceman030303
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Bart
You'll never regret going for the 981 base. I haven't previously owned a Porsche and only picked mine up last June, cannot stop driving it and looking for excuses to go out and get the shopping or anything else my wife wants so I can get back in the car! I use it as a DD and in traffic so I went. PDK, but the Sports Chrono and PSE make it all worthwhile.😎. I also have a 400hp + 400 ft/lb 1966 convertible mustang with more than enough straight line performance. Whilst that is fun, you can just do anything with these cars, pick up the ironing, no problem, lie it flat on the rear shelf, groceries front trunk, cruise with good mpg to the mountains (not that I care), done. Give it a stack of accelerator on the track for a drive day, never stops giving.

Just enjoy it, best decision I've made and I'm pretty sure you'll be feeling the same.

Best wishes Les

Attachment 1120454

Mustang
Car looks great! Love the color. I was actually impressed on the bases performance when I test drive it. Especially when sport mode is on. I loved the way it drove and felt and of course the modern look of it compared to my 911. I'm sad to see my 911 go but I'm looking forward to getting into something more modern
Old 12-28-2016, 09:10 AM
iceman030303
Advanced

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations, rloggie, legin, Black Bart; cool looking rides. And, that black Cayman; looks mirror-finished! Stunning! (and, I don't usually like black!)

iceman: As many others pointed out, base model is a great choice. Don't be swayed by horse power, most of which you can't use on the streets, legally! Sure, you can open up for about 30 seconds or less when conditions permit. But, if you get busted, the penalties can be stiff! We all been through it! So, if you aren't tracking, my choice would be the 981 base with MT, X73 and PSE. You would be shifting at or near the red line and grinning from the glorious soundtrack. My ideal car would be 981 Spyder with less horse power, super low gearing and peak power near 8-9k! Will never exist! So, get the 2.7; you will be happy!
I agree! The 981 is about as much of a car as I need. I never thought I'd buy a boxster but the 981 is sexy. It was a hard pill to swallow going from my 911 to a boxster but the 981 is the better car
Old 12-28-2016, 02:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by caymannyc
Seriously this. There is a bit of a bias towards going with the fastest car you can afford on these forums, without much thought as to whether you can actually make use of the extra power outside of a straight line.

I come from 12 years of kart racing and 4 years of GT car racing on the international FIA level with some dabbling on FIA WRC races. My FIA racing license after 16 years of experience and thousands of hours of seat time qualified me to race cars up to 350hp, and that's on a controlled circuit with other drivers who are licensed. Yet we have hordes of people who have never been to a DE or track driving 400+ HP cars on public roads with speed limits. I mean I completely get the appeal of a "faster" and more "exclusive" car, but most people will never come anywhere close to reaching the performance capabilities of a base 981 so I find the argument that the base is not fast enough to be a bit disingenuous.
It's actually worse than what you describe in terms of HP utilization for the street. I started my racing in a GT6 in the early 70s, when there were zero mechanical aids. Hell, there wasn't even ABS, much less stability control and all the other goodies that are standard on almost all sports cars.

For survival we all began with 100HP cars, and slowly worked our way up to the more powerful cars. It's not unusual for buyers today to have something like a 650 HP Vette as their first sports car, and of course they have not had the benefit of attending any performance driving school where they could learn their limitations and improve their driving skills.

So the highways are full of novices driving very high HP cars on the street. Armed with all the driving aids, these novices drive their cars far above their capabilities, and rely on mechanical aids to keep their cars under control.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:47 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by caymannyc
I have both a 997.2 S and a 981 Base. If you were to force me to choose just one I would have to flip a coin.

I greatly prefer the hydraulic steering and more spartan feel of the 997 but the mid-engined 981 just feels so well balanced.
What do you think about 987 cars then?

I have to admit they look a bit wimpy (the 981 rear end really upscaled the car). But there are some cool ones out there in rare 997 color, full leather and the Bose at the time.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:24 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't read all four pages of responses. I went from a 997.2 to a 991.1 to the 981. We'll skip the 991...

As mentioned, the gearbox is much better than the 997. Handling, ride, interior, all better.

IMHO you don't need sport exhaust, but you do need the "S" over the base, if you can afford it.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:25 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In response to caymannyc, he makes an excellent point. But it's not all about "fast" as it is about torque. It's the increased torque of the "S" that makes all the difference.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:04 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
What do you think about 987 cars then?

I have to admit they look a bit wimpy (the 981 rear end really upscaled the car). But there are some cool ones out there in rare 997 color, full leather and the Bose at the time.
I would love to have the hydraulic steering of the 987 in the 981. However, the looks (exterior) of the 987 just doesn't do it for me. Interior means absolutely nothing to me

Originally Posted by MJBird993
In response to caymannyc, he makes an excellent point. But it's not all about "fast" as it is about torque. It's the increased torque of the "S" that makes all the difference.
I think essentially it boils down to the same thing. Larger displacement = more HP and more torque. Faster speeds and faster acceleration. The Cayman S I think does 0-60 in around 4.2 seconds. I'm sorry, but why would you ever do that on a public road? 4.2 is incredibly quick. I mean, that's so dangerous in an environment where you have moms driving their kids to and from school or extracurriculars, senior citizens, new drivers, pedestrians, cyclists..

So the question is, where do you use this extra torque, outside of autocross or a DE? When passing another car? Well I'd just like to point out that you don't need a 0-60 in 4.2 second car to make a pass and if you are in a passing situation clearly there are other cars on the road in close proximity meaning you should probably be driving even more cautiously than normal. I guess if it makes you feel good to blow past other cars rather than making a safe pass, then that would explain things. And if you do want to unleash all that "S" torque and HP even though it's dangerous and against the law, please do invest in DE and track time to actually learn how to drive the thing before you hurl 3000lbs of steel down the road.

So unless you're planning on tracking, racing, or otherwise endangering yourself and others on public roads, I really think the "S" (and really, most sports cars) comes down to a purely emotional decision (as opposed to a rational decision, as some of you seem to be trying to argue), knowing that you have a faster, more expensive (and exclusive) car, without ever really harnessing that faster, more expensive ability. That's completely fine, but at least let's be honest about it instead of talking about torque and HP in a vacuum assuming that more is surely the logically better option, as if we are not all constrained by the realities of traffic laws and the presence of other people on the public roads. Our cars even in their most basic trim are pure luxury, far more than we need and in many cases far more than we are qualified to handle at their limits.

I just have to quote Motortrend, who say it better than I do:

"But my advice is to assuage your guilt by contemplating the truly crazy $64,750 base price of its 325-hp (4.2-sec 0-60) big brother, the Cayman S. Sure, it’s faster. Pardon me, but the base Cayman is just as magnificently crafted, just as dead-bolt solid, and nearly as life-altering to drive, at least in a corner.

All of which should remind us to never question the axiom ‘Less is More.’ I don’t, and so much so that I won’t mince words here: this base Cayman, with a little 2.7-liter engine, is Porsche’s Best Sports Car. Hyperventilate all you like about it, 911-philes. If I were driving this car way back in my formative sport-car years, those golf/driving gloves would have quickly come off and been tossed in the glove box."

Last edited by caymannyc; 12-28-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:54 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman030303
I agree! The 981 is about as much of a car as I need. I never thought I'd buy a boxster but the 981 is sexy. It was a hard pill to swallow going from my 911 to a boxster but the 981 is the better car
Like you and a few other posters on this thread, I have moved from a series of 911S cars to a 981 Cayman GTS this month. I don't regret the move at all. Once you get past the 911 mystique and iconicity, I think the Cayman/Boxster models are better sports cars. Mid-engine designs are inherently superior no matter how much engineering Porsche invests in the 911. I loved my 911 cars but the newer ones are HUGE. The 981 Cayman/Boxster cars are wonderful sports cars and cost far less than a 991.2. You can't go wrong buying a 981 in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:13 PM
CFIMarco
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I would love to have the hydraulic steering of the 987 in the 981"
IMHO electric vs hydraulic is more like a mental thing than practical.
I own a 981S and I owned 986s and 987S. Honestly I can't feel the difference in steering's accuracy. It was good on the 987S, it's good as well on the 981S. Very good steerings, not as fantastic as the steering I had on my Lotus Elise MK1, but good enough to know where you are going to put your wheels within a couple of inches.
And to tell you the truth, I have never had any problem with the electric steering of the 981S, but I had to pull to the shop the 987S due to hydraulic leak of the steering.
Therefore I would say the electric is better, it's more reliable, lighter and even if personally I don't care, they say it gives a better fuel economy. (Boys, may be I saved a couple of $ this year thanks to this steering, I can afford a Bud tonight!)
Old 12-29-2016, 06:20 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by CFIMarco
"I would love to have the hydraulic steering of the 987 in the 981"
IMHO electric vs hydraulic is more like a mental thing than practical.
I own a 981S and I owned 986s and 987S. Honestly I can't feel the difference in steering's accuracy. It was good on the 987S, it's good as well on the 981S. Very good steerings, not as fantastic as the steering I had on my Lotus Elise MK1, but good enough to know where you are going to put your wheels within a couple of inches.
And to tell you the truth, I have never had any problem with the electric steering of the 981S, but I had to pull to the shop the 987S due to hydraulic leak of the steering.
Therefore I would say the electric is better, it's more reliable, lighter and even if personally I don't care, they say it gives a better fuel economy. (Boys, may be I saved a couple of $ this year thanks to this steering, I can afford a Bud tonight!)
+1. No one would have noticed the move to electric steering if the reviewers hadn't settled on it as a useful nit to pick in a car that otherwise left them with little to write about. They just needed a virtue-signaling talking point, that's all.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:46 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

Originally Posted by Volnomad
Like you and a few other posters on this thread, I have moved from a series of 911S cars to a 981 Cayman GTS this month. I don't regret the move at all. Once you get past the 911 mystique and iconicity, I think the Cayman/Boxster models are better sports cars. Mid-engine designs are inherently superior no matter how much engineering Porsche invests in the 911. I loved my 911 cars but the newer ones are HUGE. The 981 Cayman/Boxster cars are wonderful sports cars and cost far less than a 991.2. You can't go wrong buying a 981 in my opinion.
thanks for the response!! It's nice to hear from so many prior 911 owners whose the switch and are happy!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:05 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Regarding the steering, I didn't know it was electric until I googled it after my test drive. Frankly I still find it stiff enough to be mildly fatiguing on longer trips. The $270 power steering option might not be bad for the low speed maneuvers, but I see how it would disastrous to the car for autocross or other parking lot exercises. Dealer can apply that software after you get the car. I like the way they did it on the 2017+ Audi cars. Really helps on trips.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Having driven both I personally think Porsche did a great job with the electric steering but there is without question a difference in the "feel" between the two. It has nothing to do with response or accuracy. Personally I think the steering response is better in the 981 and the accuracy is equal. The primary difference is the feedback you receive through the steering wheel. The granular feel that tells you when you're driving over a rough surface, or when the tires are starting to lose grip. It's not evident in the electric steering IMHO.

I think it's also important to mention that as technology advances the steering feedback has continued to filter out of the equation. As far as feedback goes, No Power Steering > Hydraulic Steering > Electric Steering.

But I'll go back to where I started and say that Porsche did a great job with their electric steering and I wouldn't be disappointed owning one.

YMMV
Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
+1. No one would have noticed the move to electric steering if the reviewers hadn't settled on it as a useful nit to pick in a car that otherwise left them with little to write about. They just needed a virtue-signaling talking point, that's all.
Well owning both a 997 and a 981, I beg to differ Just yesterday I drove my 997 to the gas station to get a fill and buy some coffee, dropped the car off and hopped into the 981 to go to work. Huge difference in feeling in the steering.

Now whether that means the 997 steering is "better", I don't think so. Porsche did a great job with their electric steering and it is incredibly accurate. Hydraulic steering is heavier and it can be unsettling to people how the steering feel changes depending on grip situationand how fast you are going. Car feels more "alive" if that makes sense.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As good a job as Porsche did with electronic steering, there is no substitute for hydraulic steering, IMO. My 996 had it - was great, as was the steering on my wife's former '09 328 x-drive. The BMW steering on the 340 is OK, but nowhere near the precise feel of the older car.

Quick Reply: 981 thoughts