Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone figured out how to get more HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
3.8 voila ... no brainer if you got a good builder....

if my friends would all quite RS, i would be able to get a cay with 3.8.
Wish there was a good local builder or someone that can troubleshoot locally after sending it out to BGB.

Get 3.8 Cayman, run with Joe and I, we're your friends too.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadyKW
One would have to know their s*$# to tell the difference. It will look identical to the 3.4. The ECU won't know, it just sees a much better flowing 3.4 and will adjust accordingly.
Are you saying that a swap to a 3.8DFI doesn't require any ECU changes? If true, that is a big deal in terms of ease, reliability, and ca smog

Originally Posted by bensf
Wish there was a good local builder or someone that can troubleshoot locally after sending it out to BGB.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Are you saying that a swap to a 3.8DFI doesn't require any ECU changes? If true, that is a big deal in terms of ease, reliability, and ca smog
That's what I'm saying. Your MAF sensor sees more air flow. Your O2 sensor sees a leaner exhaust. The ECU increases the duty cycle to the fuel injectors. You can of coarse remap your ECU to extract more power, but she'll run without it. I confirmed this with BGB.

If you look into it, you'll find the 3.4 and 3.8 are very similar. They share the same crank and rods. The big difference is the bore. 97mm for the former and 102mm for the latter. If you look at Porsche's online parts manuals for 997.2 and 987.2 you can compare the two engines and see how they differ. Of coarse a big difference is hoses and connections because of the 180 degree orientation difference.

The 3.8 engine case also has to be modified in at least two ways that I know of. A hole has to be drilled and tapped for the front motor mount bracket. The water pump housing provides a guide and shows you exactly where to drill it. The bigge is the oil filter pedestal. The 997 oil filter would point into the drivers back in the 987, so it must be discarded and the case must be modified for the 987 pedestal. I'm not sure how to do this yet. I may buy a new 987 pedestal and compare to the 997 one and examine the case more. I do know it can be done without motor disassembly.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Folks,

Sorry to chime in so late but we are on the road testing at Watkins Glen. I feel that there is a lot of stuff that I need to reply to and I'm going to do it briefly and I am sure I will miss something.

1. ReadyKW - Email me or call me. It seems like you are going to go forward with this by yourself. It's not by any means rocket-surgery but you do have to completely undress a 3.4L and re-dress the 3.8L, with all 3.4 parts from fuel lines to coolant passages to oil manifolds, plugging passages, etc. Again, it's feasible but just call/email.
2. While it can be done that you can drop the 3.8L into the car without additional tuning, you need to tune the car. Furthermore, an X51 motor has variable length runners in the manifold tract and therefore requires knowing what to do with it, specific only to the 997.2 ECU file.
3. If someone wants to pay $150K for a Cayman with a GT3 motor, sign me up and I'll build it but I'm pretty sure people make fun of me behind my back for asking over $120K for anything Cayman. Yet other cars sell on the INTERNET for that. Go figure.
4. The 4.2 is a $36K engine conversion to your existing 3.4L DFI engine with a 6 month lead time that makes the most power of any naturally aspirated non-Cup motor i have ever seen. While I have only talked to the guys, their dyno runs are on the web site and they look strong. I bet it's an amazing piece but not legal for our racing so we can't use it. I remember talking to Charlie at L&N when we started pulling the motors apart in the end of 2009 and those guys know their stuff and he's a really nice guy.
5. It makes no sense to put a GT3 motor in a Cayman unless you absolutely have to have one. Then, if you do, like i said, call me.
6. What was 6? When all the engine people figured out what PMAG did several years ago to run the 3.99L RSR motor, then became the boring and stroking measures. The flat-6 RSR motor that was in the Daytona Prototypes was a 3.99L with a 3.6L crank and I'm assuming a 3.8L bottom end. Sound familiar? I got tired of waiting to have someone make me a special 3.8L DFI 9A1 piston so i could put a stock Porsche 3.6L crank shaft in a 3.8L DFI engine. I started asking for one in 2009 and no one would sell me one. So we are having them made and they will be done shortly because you can create a 4.0L from a 3.8L WITHOUT overboring! Again...you know the number to the shop.

Sorry for the quick reply but we have two days of testing Wed/Thursday and Porsche needs to win the Watkins Glen 6 Hour weekend this year or it's going to be a long season.

Thanks for the distance on the thread. I had to leave the shop but the car is awaiting the calipers, wheels and suede bits still. Stay tuned.

John
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

WHY ARE ALL MY FAVORITE RENNLISTERS IN NORCAL?!?!?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
WHY ARE ALL MY FAVORITE RENNLISTERS IN NORCAL?!?!?
Strong Weed on that side of the coast.....
Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

How much HP is the 4.2?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by bensf

great, now i need RS and cayman 3.8.
this is why friends bring you trouble.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
great weather
no humidity
CA GIRLS
you are what you drive here in CA
7 race tracks or is it 8 now?

perhaps you need to move ur shop?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

great weather
no humidity
CA GIRLS
you are what you drive here in CA
7 race tracks or is it 8 now?

perhaps you need to move ur shop?
I know all too well.
Love California!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

great, now i need RS and cayman 3.8.
this is why friends bring you trouble.
The Cayman 3.8L is quite tempting......

Can be built to be as quick as a 2006-2007 Cup, easy to own and drive. Almost have to build one to see what all the fuss is about
Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
1. ReadyKW - Email me or call me. It seems like you are going to go forward with this by yourself. It's not by any means rocket-surgery but you do have to completely undress a 3.4L and re-dress the 3.8L, with all 3.4 parts from fuel lines to coolant passages to oil manifolds, plugging passages, etc. Again, it's feasible but just call/email.
I was wondering when you would jump in John! I wish you were here in Ca!! To tell you the truth John, I am not sure what I will do. I can tell you this, I got the motor, printed out 987.2 and 997.2 part manuals, put my CR on jackstands and removed under and over covers. I have been jumping around and comparing and taking pictures. Then I started stripping down the 3.8. It really got my blood flowing. I love this stuff. Always the thrill of the build! If I do this I'm going to have questions. If I could from time to time ask a question from you I would be very grateful.

Anyway, there is clearly a thirst for information regarding this. What does everyone think, new thread or continue this one? Mods?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Has to be for us to keep paying the taxes!

ReadyKW, do you mind telling us what the GTS engine cost?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM
R-Powered
8th Gear

the tune makes a big difference

did someone say billet stroker crank?

modeling is almost complete on crank, the rods and pistons are done.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Part1.pdf (195.8 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by R-Powered; 05-23-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I've seen, 3.8 L will run with stock 3.4 ECU but the power you make will be pitifully little. Certainly not 408 or even 385 bhp. You need 3.8 L tune to take advantage of the switch.

Quick Reply: Has anyone figured out how to get more HP