Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone figured out how to get more HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but does the tune require a different ecu?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:39 PM
R-Powered
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
no
Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ReadyKW-- I suggest you start a thread titled "Cayman 3.8L conversion". That is a thread that would get a lot of attention. As John has told me, "it's not a matter of if you're going to drop a 3.8 into your Cayman, it's when".
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I believe R-Powered is correct. Just a tune, not a new ECU. Scott Slauson can help, for example. He's the one who came to Farnbacher Loles' rescue when they put a 3.8 in a Cayman and only made 300 whp.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
ReadyKW, do you mind telling us what the GTS engine cost?
Well, you never know who is reading the internet but the big number equals the number of months in a year. No core charge. Got it from over the pond in the UK.

Here is the poor unfortunate soul it came out of. RIP little GTS.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Originally Posted by the vetman
ReadyKW-- I suggest you start a thread titled "Cayman 3.8L conversion". That is a thread that would get a lot of attention. As John has told me, "it's not a matter of if you're going to drop a 3.8 into your Cayman, it's when".
Yes, maybe the best way. I have not owned a Porsche since my 72 911E back in 93. I had a full set of shop manuals and with the exception of the mechanical FI could do anything to the car. I am 52 years old and have fiddled with cars my whole life. I am not a professional mechanic, but can find my way just fine thank you. Now everything is a secret with Porsche. Shops resist telling you anything for a variety of reasons.

John at BGB is a breath of fresh air. This guy has it in his veins. If I were in Florida, I would probably drop the engine off at his shop and say call me when you are ready to put it in and I will bring the car by. Some shops think you are trying to take their business. I have no such intensions. I just want to learn and would keep info. confidential if requested. I would get more satisfaction on doing it myself than the performance enhancements.

The reason I am thinking of starting a thread is because I think many owners are interested in doing this but don't have enough info to move forward. I think John wants to inform people but as a forum sponsor is not sure how to go about it without sounding like he is pushing a service. I am willing to be a guinea pig, but I have a life also and it may not go fast enough for some people. I can say this, it is not plug and play. John mentioned getting the GTS intake manifold to work on the Cayman. It is quite a complicated piece. When I first took a close look at it I thought "no F$##@^&* way". Well, after what he said, maybe I need to take a second look. If you are not so inclined, I recommend a shop like BGB. If you are, get a 3.8 and lets enjoy the journey.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback folks. Day 1 of testing at the Glen went very well. The DFI 997.2s are running strong up here and Pumpelly and Wilden will have us competitive!

BGB is located in a part of the world with zero retail customer base. We don't have many Porsche owners where we are and we won't survive without Rennlist. I'm not in here trying to be greedy; sure I am trying to generate business but like you all I, want to share the Super Secret Squirrel info with the public because before I made this my career I was one of you guys. I just need to keep ourselves useful in the process. Thanks again!

P.S. Mooty - Find me 5 west coast customers and I will build 5 west coast cars for you guys! Lets go!

John
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM
R-Powered
8th Gear

at least those 5 cars won't have to go far to get tuned......
Old 05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by R-Powered
at least those 5 cars won't have to go far to get tuned......
Guys and Gals,

BGB's ECU tuner of 4 years now lives in So Cal and if you do find yourself on the west coast with a BGB Cayman, Jan can come to your house or your local dyno and tune your car for you!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
WHY ARE ALL MY FAVORITE RENNLISTERS IN NORCAL?!?!?
Effective immediately, take my stickers off your car.

rofl. I know how much John loves me. He tells me privately.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

what kind of power can the new 2013 Cayman S make with a proper tune? Comparable to a 3.8L swap?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:26 PM
R-Powered
8th Gear

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
what kind of power can the new 2013 Cayman S make with a proper tune? Comparable to a 3.8L swap?
it will be fun to find out. I need to take the cover off and read it directly off the eprom to build a setting file. I need to find more time in the day. sigh*
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would say its probably almost 295rwhp for the 3.4 vs 340rwhp for the 3.8.

I always use a 12.5% loss number for drivetrain and we use 4th gear because 5th isn't 1:1 anymore and I don't like 145mph Dyno speeds.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

T minus 48 hours and counting. We need rocker stripes, 20" Forgelines and Michelin Super Sports to show up and then she's finally done. The calipers came out great though!

Sorry for the lapse in updates and the lengthy completion...life on the road is not good for prompt delivery of Project Cars.

More to come with a full roll out on Friday.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Ye ha.

Quick Reply: Has anyone figured out how to get more HP