Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: Sport Bucket Seats for MY2015 991 & perhaps 981 too!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: Sport Bucket Seats for MY2015 991 & perhaps 981 too!

I ran this morning into Detlev von Platen, CEO of PCNA, at the Le Meridien Hotel in Stuttgart where we were both staying. I was there for the start of my 10 day '2013 Guys Only Tour' - I visited the Audi R8 assembly plant at Neckarsulm yesterday and went to the Porsche Museum today - and Detlev was there on one of his regular visits to headquarters! I have met Detlev three times before - at the 2009 & 2012 PCA Parade and IV Rennsport at Laguna! He specifically remembered my 'Crystal Blue' 1970 911E Targa, which won the coveted 'Honorary Judges Choice' trophy at the '12 Parade. He was one of three judges that made that selection among all cars entered at the Concours. The other two judges were Dr. Wolfgang Porsche and Hans Peter Porsche who were also attending the Parade! So my Porsche enthusiast 'bona fides' established, I proceeded to go from pleasant small talk to the question that many on this & other Rennlist forums have been concerned for a long time!

I asked him point blank about the lack of a sport bucket seat option on the US 991 gt3. He said they are working on it and will be providing a seat in approx. one year's time for our market! I asked if it would coincide with the introduction of the gt3 RS in the US. He smiled and said 'yes' and 'don't tell anyone'. So I want you all to keep it 'secret', ok!

I asked why PCNA didn't get the bucket seat certified for the MY2014 gt3. He said that there were some issues re: folding aspect of the 'gt2' sport bucket seat that was causing problems. To make sure he understood I was not an easy mark, I told him that my 2012 Spyder had a folding 'gt2' seat that was fully certified for the US and it looked identical to the European 'gt2' sport bucket seats I had seen last week on a MY2013 German 991 at Zuffenhausen (photo attached). He quickly had a comeback - US regulations had changed and that seat (as was optioned in MY2012 in the US) could not be offered on the 991/981 without modification. And that is what they were working on! I report...you decide!

The fact that he assured me that a sport buckets would appear on the US 991 gt3 RS (probable MY2015) is consistent with what some of us (e.g. me) have been saying for a while on this forum! Once they are certified for MY2015 gt3 RS, I don't see why they would not be offered on the standard 991 or 981. But we will wait to see if that happens!

Why PCNA didn't anticipate the problems with the changing US certification rules, I'll let you ponder on that matter! As many of you know, I have a theory as to why PCNA 'fumbled' the ball! Regardless my private speculation, this is Detlev's version of the sport bucket seat 'question' as of this morning and I take him at his word!

After this private talk at the breakfast buffet at Le Meridien, Detlev was approached by the tour organizer - Steve Austin - and asked to say a few words to our travel contingent of 23 Americans (which include at least 10 Porsche owners!). He stepped into our tour bus just before we left for the Porscheplatz and used the microphone to address our small group. Interestingly, he said the purpose of this particular trip this week was to go to Weissach and test drive some of the 'exciting' new products that PCNA will have to sell to us in the USA within the next few years! I suspect the 991 gt3 RS will be one of them!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently now in Munich
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 682 Posts

You didn't happen to ask him about the 991 Targa, did you? Even though I gave up waiting and ordered my 981S (which should be completed tomorrow - have you found it????), I remain curious about the targa.
Having much fun?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Keadog
You didn't happen to ask him about the 991 Targa, did you? Even though I gave up waiting and ordered my 981S (which should be completed tomorrow - have you found it????), I remain curious about the targa.
Having much fun?
Having fun? Oh, yeah! R8 assembly plant in Neckarsulm was incredible! But today I got to the highest point I could find on the Porsche Museum and spent a good ten minutes looking for your 981S from there. So far... 'nada'!

I did briefly talk about the 991 Targa with Detlev since he knows I own the '70 911E and perhaps they might want to use mine for 'publicity' photos along with the new one when it comes out! As you well know, they are going back to a metal 'Targa' roll bar in this new model...like the one in my vintage oldtimer!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

That's great news, Ed! Thanks for reporting back. Glad too see you're having a great time over there.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Thanks for checking! I haven't heard from Brad, so i assume no news yet.
Yes, it sounds fascinating to me, but I wonder if it will be easily maneuverable on and off by a lone person, as I am almost always alone on the road. Not a big worry, since I'm a one fun car at a time guy and will want to "enjoy" the depreciation of the 981 for at least a couple years. Maybe year three of targa production. I see it as an instant classic and have always wanted one (that works well).
Sounds like a great trip...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Yes, it sounds fascinating to me, but I wonder if it will be easily maneuverable on and off by a lone person, as I am almost always alone on the road...
If you can handle a button on the console, you'll be able to do the Targa top 'automatically' without getting out of the driver's seat!

Read all of this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/743148-991-targa.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I remember that thread now. Is that for sure the path being taken? If so, it'll be interesting to see the pricing structure. I fear I won't be able to afford one equipped the way I would like.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks awesome in whatever interior leather color that is!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It's great to hear that you're doing well and enjoying yourself, Eduardo!!

Thank you for the awesome threads and updates. What would Rennlist be without you?

BTW, I hear that Detlev is a very nice guy and down to earth.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
What would Rennlist be without you?
Probably more concise and brief! But that is my writing style. I am trying to paint a picture with words! I don't do 'texting' in modern 'Morse Code', like our 'precious' young folks on their smart phones!

Originally Posted by the_vetman
BTW, I hear that Detlev is a very nice guy and down to earth.
Yes, Detlev has more charismatic personality that Porsche's global CEO, Matthias Müller. The latter was born in Karl-Marx-Stadt in the former East Germany and that is where he probably got his 'charm' and easy-going style! Detlev is very smooth...and very much a 'salesman'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Eduardo, have fun.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:45 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mile2424
Looks awesome in whatever interior leather color that is!
I believe that is the old 'Umber' color! Can't find it anymore on the US Configurator but it was there last Summer & Fall. Had I noticed the latter earlier, I could have asked them what new leather color they will replace it with!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold on. Potentially driving a 991 GT3 RS is a part of your trip??????????????????
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Eduardo, my car was completed on Wednesday, ahead of schedule. A picture would be fortuitous.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo, my car was completed on Wednesday, ahead of schedule. A picture would be fortuitous.
Oh, I was there that day and did not see it.

Originally Posted by zirrah
Hold on. Potentially driving a 991 GT3 RS is a part of your trip??????????????????
Read it again:

"he (Detlev) said the purpose of this particular trip this week was to go to Weissach and test drive some of the 'exciting' new products that PCNA will have to sell to us in the USA within the next few years! I suspect the 991 gt3 RS will be one of them!"

Detlev will be shown the cars & perhaps drive a 991 gt3 RS (my speculation). A gt3 RS is NOT part of my trip. Instead, I am being driven in a very large Setra luxury travel bus since Monday!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Quick Reply: Re: Sport Bucket Seats for MY2015 991 & perhaps 981 too!