Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop-Up Light Cayman GTS @ Sonoma Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 03:02 AM
spnsprt
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pop-Up Light Cayman GTS @ Sonoma Raceway

Went on my 4th HPDE event this weekend in Sonoma (first time there) and my first track experience with the CGTS. Halfway through my first non lead/follow session this popped up!

Annoyingly, it was at turn 2 so I had to put on my hazards (while staring at the headlight blinking at me) and do a slow parade lap to get out.

Anyways, I've since learned how to secure the headlight using the tool through the hole in the frunk so hopefully this doesn't happen again. In general, the car was a blast to drive. I'm coming from an E46 M3 and that car feels a little loose in comparison where there's a bit more of a delay between steering inputs and how the car moves. The CGTS feels really immediate and tight. I appreciate the more permissive traction control where the older system on the E46 cuts power pretty early with slip and in sport mode the CGTS lets you slide a bit more (not that I was exactly trying to). I also really appreciated how smart the PDK was. I am still a novice and not having to think about shifting while still trying to get my sea legs was helpful. I managed to get a few hot laps in before the light popped out and can't wait to get it out there again.

Also, I assume this moisture in the taillight is typical and nothing to worry about?
The following users liked this post:
FINZ (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 08:41 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts

for some reason those pics are kinda funny. Even though I'd be annoyed it happened. Did you have the headlight out recently? Good thing no wires or tabs broke.
nytelfer (02-16-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 12:53 PM
spnsprt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
for some reason those pics are kinda funny. Even though I'd be annoyed it happened. Did you have the headlight out recently? Good thing no wires or tabs broke.
I only recently got the car so I’d never taken the headlights out. I guess I do worry that some sort of tab has broken. Maybe I’ll take it out again today and look more closely.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:22 PM
Cliff3
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 111 Posts

Bizarre problem with the headlight. Modern stability control systems have come a long way since the E46 generation of cars. I used to have a 2002 330Ci and I could disable traction control and still make the ESC light twinkle like a star. Porsche's system is solid and after a couple of dozen HPDE days in the CGTS I have only felt it intervene during events where it was raining hard enough that we were allowed to drive with windows up. Fwiw, sport plus is the default track day setting for me.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:56 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 320 Posts

Actually, I have heard of this happening at the local track, gotta put the lights back in properly, someone didn’t!
Old 02-15-2023, 03:12 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

You are lucky. The last time I saw this happen the driver lost the whole headlight assy at the end of the Summit Pt Main straightaway. He drove the rest of the day without it and picked it up the end of the day. As I remember each side turns a different direction and takes considerable force to lock.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:59 PM
spnsprt
Intermediate

Yeah, I'm hoping to go out to Thunderhill at the start of March with the local PCA chapter and will make sure I tighten everything up before I'm on track!

Also, I figured since this was my first HDPE in the Cayman (and a mid engine car in general) leaving it in sport and taking it a little easy was the prudent move. As I get more comfortable with the dynamics and push harder, I'll definitely use sport+ as Porsche intended!
Old 02-21-2023, 07:22 PM
Cliff3
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spnsprt
Yeah, I'm hoping to go out to Thunderhill at the start of March with the local PCA chapter and will make sure I tighten everything up before I'm on track!

Also, I figured since this was my first HDPE in the Cayman (and a mid engine car in general) leaving it in sport and taking it a little easy was the prudent move. As I get more comfortable with the dynamics and push harder, I'll definitely use sport+ as Porsche intended!
PCA-GGR is running the 2 mile track at the beginning of March in conjunction with an instructor clinic. I thought about it, but I strongly prefer the 3 mile track. They have the 3 mile track the weekend of April 8-9. I'm leaving for a trip to Asia on the 10th so I won't be attending that event. The Audi club is on the 3 mile track June 10-11 and since I am an instructor with the ACNA, it kind of behooves me to be there. That will likely be my first visit to Thunderhill this year.

My motto is "you have to drive this thing home stupid" so I am completely on board with probing your limits instead of just smashing through them and dealing with the consequences later. My car is a manual and I can't heel & toe to save my life, so sport plus (with rev matching) for me it is.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:31 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

From what I know the main difference between Sport and Sport+ will be the shift points. Sport+ tries to stay between 4K and redline. PASM and PADM I believe are the same. If not already you will notice the wear on the outer edge of the left front. More negative camber is need for any significant track time. Stock suspension might get you -1 at best. Adjustable LCAs or camber plates are needed to get a typical track alignment of -2 to -2.5. If you DD or have high street miles the insides will wear. A dedicated set of 18s with 200TW track tires is common. Recommend Sebro slotted and Pagid RSL29s pads from FCPEuro somewhere further down the slippery slope along with Motul 660 brake fluid. Our first PCA DE is at Summit Point Main Mar 24-26.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:50 PM
spnsprt
Intermediate

Do you put on the new wheels/tires before heading to the track or is there some way to fit them all in the car?

Unrelated, but what do folks use the two storage cubbies with the sliding doors behind the seats for? They seem too hard to reach to be of too much use.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:57 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Mine is a 2013 Boxster S. I know a Cayman is a safer vehicle for the track, but I like the convertible and believe the additional risk for DE is minimal. I think it is possible in a Cayman but not practical. Two in the back, one in the frunk and one on the passenger seat. I put my canopy on the passenger side and large plastic tub in the frunk. I drive to and from on my track wheels and tires. I'm 65 minutes from the track. I have tracked on my PZeros on 20s when I knew the weather was going to be wet and cold for the weekend. You could buy a hitch for Boxsters and Caymans before COVID but not now.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:17 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spnsprt
Do you put on the new wheels/tires before heading to the track or is there some way to fit them all in the car?

Unrelated, but what do folks use the two storage cubbies with the sliding doors behind the seats for? They seem too hard to reach to be of too much use.
Good spot for tire pressure gauge, that's what I use mine for on the track.

Spot for umbrellas when off-track and on the road.
spnsprt (02-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Pop-Up Light Cayman GTS @ Sonoma Raceway