Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Up Camera Installation on 981 Boxster GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 05:11 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Back Up Camera Installation on 981 Boxster GTS

I installed a Back Up Camera on my 981 Boxster GTS over the last couple of days. The unit is from Maxspeed Motorsports in Florida. Total time for the installation was around 5 hours with me stopping frequently and testing to make sure that everything worked as I did the install. When I ordered my car, the only way to get a back up camera was to order the Park Assist option, which was at least $1500. This approach was around $500 plus 5 hours of my labor. I am very happy with the product and the installation and would do it again. Link to Maxspeed Web Site: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...idelines_.html

Thanks to a PCA member for his post on the region web site back in October and for his write up. This provided the inspiration and invaluable information to augment Maxspeed‘s instructions. Here is his post: http://aprpca.org/356B/index.php/new...-camera-191013

A couple of notes of my own regarding the installation: Reinstalling the right rear taillight is tricky. You have to line up two grooves and probe and it did not want to cooperate. Also the business of fishing the camera video and power connectors into the taillight area is tricky with very tight clearances. Otherwise it just took patience and a firm hand with the pry tools to pop off the interior panels - there were 8 of them that had to be removed! One other item of note - the camera is mounted on one of the license plate LED lights. I noticed that the color of the light is different on the one with the camera (right side) vs. the Porsche OEM light (left side). Not a big deal - just an observation.

The following 2 users liked this post by jg (atl):
Diamond Dave (01-10-2021), sonicworld (07-19-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 12:50 AM
Nick Stea
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jg (atl)
I installed a Back Up Camera on my 981 Boxster GTS over the last couple of days. The unit is from Maxspeed Motorsports in Florida. Total time for the installation was around 5 hours with me stopping frequently and testing to make sure that everything worked as I did the install. When I ordered my car, the only way to get a back up camera was to order the Park Assist option, which was at least $1500. This approach was around $500 plus 5 hours of my labor. I am very happy with the product and the installation and would do it again. Link to Maxspeed Web Site: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...idelines_.html

Thanks to a PCA member for his post on the region web site back in October and for his write up. This provided the inspiration and invaluable information to augment Maxspeed‘s instructions. Here is his post: http://aprpca.org/356B/index.php/new...-camera-191013

A couple of notes of my own regarding the installation: Reinstalling the right rear taillight is tricky. You have to line up two grooves and probe and it did not want to cooperate. Also the business of fishing the camera video and power connectors into the taillight area is tricky with very tight clearances. Otherwise it just took patience and a firm hand with the pry tools to pop off the interior panels - there were 8 of them that had to be removed! One other item of note - the camera is mounted on one of the license plate LED lights. I noticed that the color of the light is different on the one with the camera (right side) vs. the Porsche OEM light (left side). Not a big deal - just an observation.

awesome! Is that on the original PCM screen or aftermarket screen?
Old 01-08-2020, 02:02 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

NIce.
That's a better image than the pos Porsche camera too.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:27 AM
jg (atl)
Instructor

That is the original screen.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:29 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Do the guide lines move/curve with the steering wheel?

Has anyone ever retrofitted the actual factory backup camera? If not the PCM side of things, what about just the actual camera? How does it mount from the factory?
Old 01-08-2020, 03:04 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Yes, the lines curve as you turn the wheel. However the camera itself is off center since it is mounted to the right hand license plate lamp - so you have to take that into consideration.

Don’t know about the retrofitting the factory camera. This install includes an OBDII programming device that turns on Park Assist and Back Up Camera on the PCM. There is also an emulator that comes with the wiring harness - not sure what it does exactly, put it probably is necessary as a retrofit.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:11 PM
John D. S.
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

That's funny, in all of the advertisements I see, there is always a smiling kid on a tricycle on the screen.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:22 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I used an installer whom I have used for many sound installations for many years. He insisted on using another manufacturer, (Navstar?). It does not move with the wheel, but even worse, the wheel markings are considerably narrower than the wheels. If you actually used the picture to park, you wouldn't just curb your wheels, you'd be on top of that curb.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:46 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

do you happen to have pictures of the difference in LED color from the stock vs new
Old 10-14-2020, 10:34 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

I do not and I am not in a position to get you a pic at this time.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Macan20
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

While iI would normally attempt this myself, I had an altercation with a table saw, and the saw won! So wrenching is on hold! Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop who can install the Maxspeed unit, in the South Bay, Torrance, Redondo, Long Beach area?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2020, 02:09 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by vracer
FWIW, I used an installer whom I have used for many sound installations for many years. He insisted on using another manufacturer, (Navstar?). It does not move with the wheel, but even worse, the wheel markings are considerably narrower than the wheels. If you actually used the picture to park, you wouldn't just curb your wheels, you'd be on top of that curb.
You would think that these universal kits would come with the capability to adjust the markings to fit the application. I need a camera in my '16 Spyder but I just haven't seen a setup I feel is up to the task yet.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:10 AM
jaykobean
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, how did you route the wire from the tail light to the inside the cabin?

Old 12-14-2020, 09:51 AM
jg (atl)
Instructor

I followed the instructions in their videos. Had to put the top in service position and gain access to the area above the engine and into the cabin. I believe there is a grommet between the trunk and the tail light area. Then of course I had to remove a bunch of trim pieces to route the wire trough the cabin. Does that help? I can see if there is any exposed wire that I can take a picture of and post if that would help.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:41 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jaykobean
Hello, how did you route the wire from the tail light to the inside the cabin?
Yeh, there's a rubber grommet right in the middle of the back of the car. I poked my camera wiring through there.

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera Installation on 981 Boxster GTS