Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint protection options

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 02:32 PM
meeus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paint protection options

Hello,

I am new to Porsche, and I recently bought a 981 Boxster in Guards red with 25k miles. It came with no PPF installed so the bumper has a good number of small rock chip that have been touched up well but obviously visible from up close. Other front facing surfaces (such as hood) also have some chips but not a lot, and the paint is generally in good shape. Oh, and the bumper has scratches underneath due to lowered suspension.
I would like to get some protection for the future. This will be mostly weekend car, but I plan to take it to autocross occasionally and possibly to the track couple of times a year.
This would subject surfaces to more potential damage.
Any advice on what to do? Put some PPF on front parts minus bumper and respray it later when it has more chips?

Thank you.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:37 PM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

If you can, get it touched up and do paint correction THEN do ppf. Otherwise it’s kinda like putting on clean clothes after a workout without a shower.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:41 PM
meeus
Rennlist Member

The dealer I bought the car from did the paint correction and most chips are touched up rught now.
I am just wondering if it makes sense to put ppf on the bumper which has many chips already or wait until it gets ugly and then respray and put ppf.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:51 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by meeus
I am just wondering if it makes sense to put ppf on the bumper which has many chips already...
It doesn't make sense to me, but that's a personal preference kind of thing and it's your car.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Rogon55
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

PPF is not cheap so putting it over imperfections that are visible is a total waste of $ and I personally think it will look worst.
Find a quality shop and correct the paint to new then install PPF so your car will look great. If you're going to do it why wait get your car looking great right away and enjoy a great looking car, at least thats my way of thinking. JMO
Old 09-07-2021, 12:36 AM
meeus
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the advice!
Again, I am sort of new to this so I am wondering if there is a way to "paint correct" a hood with just a few chips to like-new condition without respraying the whole thing?
Anyway, I am going to get in touch with a couple of shops and see what they can offer.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:21 PM
1StopJeff
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What is PPF?
Old 09-15-2021, 06:49 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 1StopJeff
What is PPF?
Paint Protection Film, it’s a clear plastic film they cover your car with.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:58 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by meeus
Thank you for the advice!
Again, I am sort of new to this so I am wondering if there is a way to "paint correct" a hood with just a few chips to like-new condition without respraying the whole thing?
Anyway, I am going to get in touch with a couple of shops and see what they can offer.
If you're interested in doing it yourself, read through this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ck-caiman.html

A fair way into the thread, he describes doing paint correction on his hood, and his results were pretty amazing.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:51 PM
1StopJeff
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh, okay. I have that on a couple of our cars and was planning on getting it done on the CS but I had never heard it referred to as PPF before. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Paint protection options