Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busta Rib's 981 Boxster GTS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 01:45 PM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats!!! Sweet ride and the orange is great fun.

Now you're making me seriously think about getting those GTS rear tail lights. My 981 Boxster is yellow, so the GTS tail lights really pop with a lighter car color. (If any reader has a yellow Boxster with those GTS lights, please post them!). Again, welcome and wishing you many fun miles ahead!
Old 04-13-2021, 03:07 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
Congrats Jim on the new car, would love to see it in person! I guess the next time I am in Bend I will have to meet up for a drive. I wonder/strongly suspect the reason your Sport Plus mode doesnt work has to do with the Stop Sale on cars of this era with Sport Chrono. They likely disabled it to make the car emission compliant, just a theory but worth checking into.
Really? The Porsche dealer knowingly disabled Sport+ to be able to sell the car and didn't tell the new owner. That some real conspiracy theory stuff.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:27 PM
Dutchman69
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

A dealership complying with federal emissions regulations in order to sell their product is hardly a conspiracy haha

I'd be interested to hear what actually happened here and if/how dealers are able to sell sport chrono equipped vehicles effected by the emissions issue. I haven't heard any update since the stop sale notice.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:54 PM
Fresh.Sizzle
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

-Needs a Mobil Pegasus sticker.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fresh.Sizzle; 04-20-2021 at 03:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fresh.Sizzle:
Busta Rib (04-13-2021), DrBillyD (04-18-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 04:17 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 419 Posts

Me too. I'm also curious if other GTS owners have the Sport Plus button disabled as well.

Originally Posted by Dutchman69
A dealership complying with federal emissions regulations in order to sell their product is hardly a conspiracy haha

I'd be interested to hear what actually happened here and if/how dealers are able to sell sport chrono equipped vehicles effected by the emissions issue. I haven't heard any update since the stop sale notice.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:46 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice ride!
Can you post the build sheet and interior pictures?
I love my 2014 BS 6 speed!
Old 04-13-2021, 05:08 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eddieb4
Nice ride!
Can you post the build sheet and interior pictures?
I love my 2014 BS 6 speed!
Old 04-14-2021, 12:56 PM
Ikon
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 72 Posts

Looks good Jim, after looking though your old pics from the gt3 and saw Randy and Rheena car I can put a face on your now lol. Small world
The following users liked this post:
Busta Rib (04-14-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:13 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Apparently, there was a stop-sale for certain 911s, Boxsters, Caymans, Cayennes, and Panameras from MY 2012 to 2016 related to cars with Sport Chrono. The issue stems from excessive emissions when in Sport Plus mode. WTF! I am going to take my car to my indy and see if they can diagnose the issue and turn Sport Plus back on. Porsche is supposedly working on a software fix for affected cars but that could be awhile.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pors...anamera-2021-1

Porsche orders stop-sale on certain models for performance option causing them to create excess emissions

When one eager buyer rolled up to their local Porsche dealership looking for a used 911 sports car, they told Insider the dealer wouldn't give it up. They logged onto the Porsche forums and saw they weren't alone.

"My dealer won't sell me a [2014 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S] with Sport Chrono due to a stop-sale, which applies to a ton of cars Porsche makes," they wrote in an email to Insider. "There's speculation all over Rennlist but nobody knows for sure what's going on, other than it's been going on for months."

Insider reached out to the dealership for confirmation of the failed transaction, but has yet to hear back.

But indeed, a November thread on Porsche enthusiast online forum Rennlist read: "Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?"

"I have had my 2016 [Carrera] 4 GTS [Cabriolet] at my local dealer for a consignment sale," user Teambell wrote. "Today I was told they have to take it off the market as a corporate stop sale campaign related to the Sport Chrono package. Does anyone know any details about it?"

Insider reached out to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which typically handles sales and recalls. The agency declined to comment on the issue. But a Porsche spokesperson did, confirming that there is indeed a stop-sale and has been one since November 2020.

It applies to "certain older vehicles in our dealer partner's inventory equipped with the ... Sport Chrono Package," the spokesperson told Insider in an email.

The Sport Chrono Package was an option you could get on your Porsche that let you pick different electronic driving modes. "Normal" was for everyday driving, "Sport" was designed for the twistier roads, and "Sport Plus" was meant for extreme driving, as you would do on a racetrack.

But, as Porsche recently discovered during its routine review, there was a slight hiccup in the plan. When driven in "Sport Plus" mode, certain Sport Chrono Package-equipped cars built within a specific time frame emitted more nitrogen oxide than permitted.

"Porsche proactively informed authorities and continues to work to review the issue," the spokesperson said. "Both the 'Normal' and 'Sport' modes were found to be compliant with all known emissions standards based on testing performed by the company — as was 'Sport Plus' mode on many models tested.

"In any case, we have no indications that cars currently in production are affected."

The stop-sale affects 911, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, and Panamera models from model years 2012 to 2016. The tricky part, though, is determining which of those cars are affected, as not every car listed was fitted with the often optional Sport Chrono Package.

And even if they were fitted with the package, "not every model line we've tested is affected," the spokesperson said. "So, it really goes down to us testing every model derivative. We're being cautious."

"I can understand why some of your readers would be concerned," they went on. "To be clear, our dealer partners are buying all used Porsche cars as they usually would, and the cars in customers' possession remains safe to drive — what the dealers have paused is selling the specific cars in their inventory affected by this until the software on these cars can be updated."

Porsche is working on a software update that it will apply to the cars before they are for sale again. Eventually, the automaker will also perform the fix for customer vehicles as necessary.

The spokesperson did not provide a timeline for when Porsche expects the update to be completed and carried out, but assured current owners this wasn't a safety issue for them.

"The cars affected by this – all of which were developed and sold years ago — remain safe to drive," they said. "This does not affect new vehicles."
Originally Posted by nathan1
Congrats Jim on the new car, would love to see it in person! I guess the next time I am in Bend I will have to meet up for a drive. I wonder/strongly suspect the reason your Sport Plus mode doesnt work has to do with the Stop Sale on cars of this era with Sport Chrono. They likely disabled it to make the car emission compliant, just a theory but worth checking into.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:27 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 96 Posts

Nice buggy. Seems lightly optioned but the GTS trim levels usually have a lot of popular options included. Don't konw if I've ever seen a Boxster with illuminated door sills; must look nice at night.

Does the multi function steering wheel include steering wheel heating? An option I wish I had for cooler days in the spring when I'm itching to get back to some top down driving after a long winter.

Front radiator grilles are nice as well. When I got my '15 BGTS, I found a dead bird in the driver's side radiator. Got some Zunsport grilles; the side radiator grilles worked well but the center grille always popped out if there was even the *slightest* scrape of the front end. It finally popped out somewhere and I didn't realize it at the time so went without. Other types of grilles might have more secure attachment. Subsequently traded in the '15 BGTS for a '16 Spyder, which comes with factory front grilles.

I got some Euro LED side markers and they look nice.

Only performance mod I've done is Cargraphics "sport" exhaust headers. I didn't dyno the car before/after and did it mainly for the change in exhaust sound, which it definitely does. Slightly louder with PSE off; markedly louder with PSE on and above 4K. Are you thinking of any performance mods?

Would be interesting to see your car next to a P-car in Lava Orange. From memory, looks like Gulf Orange is a little more toned down?

Finally, what is the mysterious "X" option on the build sheet (852 X)? I like it, if only for the nomenclature, LOL.

foodbiker (04-18-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 03:13 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I don't know what Option code 852 is but I have the original window sticker and the one option not listed in the build sheet is Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus). Still getting familiar with the car. My ZunSport grilles just arrived and I will install them tomorrow. There is a lot of crap in the cavities and the front center radiator has been beat up over the years. No heated steering wheel, unfortunately. Yes, the lighted door sills are a nice touch. Looks classy, especially at night. I have several other mods planned for the car and will be documenting my progress in this thread. Stay tuned.

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Nice buggy. Seems lightly optioned but the GTS trim levels usually have a lot of popular options included. Don't konw if I've ever seen a Boxster with illuminated door sills; must look nice at night.

Does the multi function steering wheel include steering wheel heating? An option I wish I had for cooler days in the spring when I'm itching to get back to some top down driving after a long winter.

Front radiator grilles are nice as well. When I got my '15 BGTS, I found a dead bird in the driver's side radiator. Got some Zunsport grilles; the side radiator grilles worked well but the center grille always popped out if there was even the *slightest* scrape of the front end. It finally popped out somewhere and I didn't realize it at the time so went without. Other types of grilles might have more secure attachment. Subsequently traded in the '15 BGTS for a '16 Spyder, which comes with factory front grilles.

I got some Euro LED side markers and they look nice.

Only performance mod I've done is Cargraphics "sport" exhaust headers. I didn't dyno the car before/after and did it mainly for the change in exhaust sound, which it definitely does. Slightly louder with PSE off; markedly louder with PSE on and above 4K. Are you thinking of any performance mods?

Would be interesting to see your car next to a P-car in Lava Orange. From memory, looks like Gulf Orange is a little more toned down?

Finally, what is the mysterious "X" option on the build sheet (852 X)? I like it, if only for the nomenclature, LOL.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:35 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Thanks. I don't know what Option code 852 is but I have the original window sticker and the one option not listed in the build sheet is Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus). .....
Did some sleuthing and I think you're right about the PDLS+. Found references that list option code 852 as "PDLS+ high beam assistant" (https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/...s/boxster-981/).

Thinking that refers to auto-dim feature for headlights when sensing oncoming traffic. Got me wondering if it's part of PDLS+ or a separate option and appears it's part of PDLS+ (https://www.macanforum.com/threads/p...da-specs.7858/)

Old 04-18-2021, 01:37 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Nice sleuthing! That makes sense and is a nice feature to have.

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Did some sleuthing and I think you're right about the PDLS+. Found references that list option code 852 as "PDLS+ high beam assistant" (https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/...s/boxster-981/).

Thinking that refers to auto-dim feature for headlights when sensing oncoming traffic. Got me wondering if it's part of PDLS+ or a separate option and appears it's part of PDLS+ (https://www.macanforum.com/threads/p...da-specs.7858/)
Old 04-18-2021, 02:01 PM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

BTW - How was the orange interior trim done? Painted or wrapped? Looks fantastic.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:25 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

It was a factory option and delivered that way. Original owner dropped some major coin on the exterior and interior paint.

Originally Posted by foodbiker
BTW - How was the orange interior trim done? Painted or wrapped? Looks fantastic.
foodbiker (04-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Busta Rib's 981 Boxster GTS Build Thread