Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should We Be Concerned About DFI Carbon Build-Up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 05:11 PM
RennHarry
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 143 Posts

I was a little surprised to see the guy in the videos KrisA posted using a metal pick. Surely that has some risk???
Cheers

Last edited by RennHarry; 04-22-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:17 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RennHarry
I was a little surprised to see the guy in the videos KrisA posted using a metal pick. Surely that has some risk???
Cheers
nope it wont do anything
Old 04-22-2021, 07:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by absoluteczech
nope it wont do anything
Really? A scratch on the back surface of a valve, or the valve shaft doesn't bring any risk with it?

And @professsorz - the 987.2 base models (2.9L) don't use direct injection and have hydraulic assist power steering. Sounds just like what you wanted..
Old 04-22-2021, 08:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Personally I don’t think that amount of buildup after 100k is that bad at all. There’s no such thing as the perfect performance car, each and everyone one has some weak link. So every 100k we have the intakes cleaned off, honestly that’s fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (04-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 10:44 PM
derevis
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to clarify- I never used the sharp point of the pick. Only the round hook portion, which was great at collecting and holding the tar-like carbon build up. In fact, it was almost impossible to get the sharp point of the pick to even make contact with anything inside there, given the geometry of the pick and the intake chambers.
I also found that a smaller bottle cleaner and my Sonicare toothbrush worked well too.
Marine Blue (04-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 08:03 AM
RennHarry
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by derevis
Just to clarify- I never used the sharp point of the pick. Only the round hook portion, which was great at collecting and holding the tar-like carbon build up. In fact, it was almost impossible to get the sharp point of the pick to even make contact with anything inside there, given the geometry of the pick and the intake chambers.
I also found that a smaller bottle cleaner and my Sonicare toothbrush worked well too.
Thanks for clarifying. I have not yet been intrepid enough to look for carbon, let alone clean it, on any car I've owned, but was wondering about the use of a sharp pointy tool ... curvy backside only. Got it.
It's funny, my first thought was, what about a toothbrush.
After you pull out the largest chunks and get some clean happening, do you have a skinny vacuum attachment to get in there? I guess you could give it a blast of air too. But I'd want to get that stuff out of there via a vacuum if it was me.
Cheers
Old 04-23-2021, 08:17 AM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

That was quite a bit of carbon buildup in the OP pictures. Just curious- how long have you owned this car? How do you drive it?
I had an early DFI engine (2008 Audi A6 with the TT 2.7 V6). It saw a lot of city driving after I bought it CPO at about 1-2 years old. Eventually it had such bad buildup the car failed to start one day. The Audi tech basically said the way to prevent buildup was to redline the car somewhat regularly and the high RPM would often dislodge the buildup. (Made a good excuse to blast out of some toll booths or on ramps). Curious if this advice applies to modern DFI engines, and Porsche in particular.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:36 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Ring Circus
That was quite a bit of carbon buildup in the OP pictures. Just curious- how long have you owned this car? How do you drive it?
I had an early DFI engine (2008 Audi A6 with the TT 2.7 V6). It saw a lot of city driving after I bought it CPO at about 1-2 years old. Eventually it had such bad buildup the car failed to start one day. The Audi tech basically said the way to prevent buildup was to redline the car somewhat regularly and the high RPM would often dislodge the buildup. (Made a good excuse to blast out of some toll booths or on ramps). Curious if this advice applies to modern DFI engines, and Porsche in particular.
Not sure about the carbon build up part, but if you're not regularly redlining your Porsche and getting into high RPMs anyway what's the point of owning one?
Diamond Dave (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 03:10 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Not sure about the carbon build up part, but if you're not regularly redlining your Porsche and getting into high RPMs anyway what's the point of owning one?
Obviously, cars n coffee and the 'gram. It's best to avoid freeways and to keep it under 65 mph at all times. /s

Quick Reply: Should We Be Concerned About DFI Carbon Build-Up?