Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should We Be Concerned About DFI Carbon Build-Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 06:34 PM
derevis
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Should We Be Concerned About DFI Carbon Build-Up?

Hi All,

I’m quickly approaching 100K glorious miles on my 2013 Boxster 2.7L. I have no issues with car and absolutely love it.
However, my anxiety about Carbon build-up outside of the intake valves is also increasing. I understand this can be an issue with DFI engines, as the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder, and not across the valves where it normally washes away any carbon build up. I’ve seen some (non-Porsche) videos on YouTube that have me concerned.
It seems the most effective way to remove the build-up is by blasting the intakes with crushed walnut shells, but I’m not comfortable with the idea of performing this service myself yet.
Does anyone have any experience with this? I haven’t noticed any power loss, and she’s not throwing any codes. But I imagine this would be a long term, imperceptible kind of power loss. Should I be concerned, and add this to my list of maintenance items to look at soon? Is there any way to tell how bad it might without getting down into the intakes themselves? Or am I getting anxious for nothing?

Thanks in advance.

”...to keep it as new has been his dearest dream.”

Old 03-27-2021, 06:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Honestly I haven’t seen anyone posting about this being an issue on any of the DFI Porsche’s as of yet and there are a bunch of 150k mile Boxster’s out there. More important at this point is to make sure your AOS is in good working order, make sure you’re not overfilling the oil and use premium fuels with cleaners to keep the injectors running clean.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:13 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche DFI engines seem to carbon up at around the same rate as other DFI only engines. I like this guy's 987.2 videos and he has a couple on carbon build up in the 9A1 engine:

It's probably a good idea to do these types of cleaning periodically.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrisA:
derevis (03-28-2021), sectachrome (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 04:12 AM
Sir Ducer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine at about 70k miles and it helped free up the engine a little.
Throttle response was a little less sharp when feathering the pedal from a pick up, but overall, it helped to reduce FC by about 0.2-0.5, not that it matters.

Key for me was to keep the car healthy. and for downtime and stuff done, it was worth it.
The following users liked this post:
derevis (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 04:37 AM
Landshark92
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh lord, I just came from an N54 BMW and this is the last thing I wanted to hear. I cleaned them myself on that car and the carbon was BAD.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:26 AM
Paul Quilter
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=derevis;17325899]Hi All,

I’m quickly approaching 100K glorious miles on my 2013 Boxster 2.7L. I have no issues with car and absolutely love it.
However, my anxiety about Carbon build-up outside of the intake valves is also increasing. I understand this can be an issue with DFI engines, as the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder, and not across the valves where it normally washes away any carbon build up. I’ve seen some (non-Porsche) videos on YouTube that have me concerned.
It seems the most effective way to remove the build-up is by blasting the intakes with crushed walnut shells, but I’m not comfortable with the idea of performing this service myself yet.
Does anyone have any experience with this? I haven’t noticed any power loss, and she’s not throwing any codes. But I imagine this would be a long term, imperceptible kind of power loss. Should I be concerned, and add this to my list of maintenance items to look at soon? Is there any way to tell how bad it might without getting down into the intakes themselves? Or am I getting anxious for nothing?

Thanks in advance.

Carbon only builds up excessively if the AOS valve fails and feeds oil into the intakes. I do not know of any issues due to DFI.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:49 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Those are very informative videos, thanks for posting KrisA. My 13 Boxster S has about 35,000 miles on it, at what intervals should the AOS be changed?
Old 03-28-2021, 11:05 AM
Diamond Dave
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Research on RXP additive , maybe snake serum , but Ive used it in my vehicles for the last 18 yrs. I like it for carbon build up.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:55 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
Research on RXP additive , maybe snake serum , but Ive used it in my vehicles for the last 18 yrs. I like it for carbon build up.
Not trying to change your mind, but just to provide some data and my opinion on this stuff. First off, the website has lots of "big words" to make themselves sound smart. There is no reasonable explanation on the site from what I see, but a lot of marketing-ese. That scares me to begin with.

Looking deeper at the SDS, it seems to be 100% diesel fuel #2 from what I can see. So, basically, it's putting in some diesel fuel into the gasoline. I can't imagine that is helpful in any real way. There is no mention of any other chemicals or cleaners in the SDS...

I found a few links that test it (not the manufacturer's test data) and most places seem to say it doesn't work...

I wouldn't waste my time with that stuff, but to each their own... it probably won't hurt anything in these low quantities.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:31 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

Decarbonizing fuel additives mostly dont work in DI engines because the inside of the valves never see the fuel.
absoluteczech (04-22-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 02:50 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

In my experience, I've found that regardless of the make of automobile, using a high quality fuel, high quality oil of the correct spec, and performing maintenance as specified by the manufacturer, there is little to be gained by pouring any "additive" into the crankcase or fuel tank. The ingredients are often questionable and the cost of the stuff is ridiculous. Compare these additives from AutoZone to the cost of a gallon of gas:

Gumout Fuel System Treatment - 12 oz @ $6.49 = $69.22/gal
Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner - 32 oz @ $17.99 = $71.96/gal
Royal Purple Fuel Injector Cleaner - 6 oz @ $7.99 = $170.45/gal

Terry
Old 03-28-2021, 03:05 PM
derevis
Track Day

Thanks a lot for those videos, KrisA. It doesn’t look too difficult, just time consuming. That’ll be a good bonding project for me, my son, and the car.
I noticed in the videos he didn’t mention advancing the motor so that the valves would be closed on the cylinder you’re cleaning, so none of that crap can fall into the cylinder. Am I wrong about this? Is there an easy way to do that?
Old 03-28-2021, 03:07 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

All Top Tier gasoline contains detergents. I would only use extree additives in gas that was not Top Tier.
I run Mobil gas 91 octane Supremium+ in my Cayman and she LOVES that stuff. Supposed to be specially formulated for DFI engines.
Not sure about any effects on the backsides of the valves.

I searched on UTube for any vids on cleaning valves on the 9A1 engine but didn't see any.
Please post of any exist.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:41 PM
derevis
Track Day

I went ahead and cleaned out my intake valves over the last couple of days and I'm glad I did. As I mentioned, I'm right at 100K miles and had no way of knowing whether my Air-Oil Separator (AOS) was working or not.
Based on the gentleman's video at 33K miles with a failed AOS posted above, I'd say mine is still working but I went ahead and replaced it anyway for $100.
It took about an hour for each cylinder, using a combination of a metal hook pick, rags with degreaser, and a toothbrush. The image of the paper towel is only one cylinder's worth of build up.
While I was in there I cleaned out all the runners, plenum, cleaned the load sensor with MAF sensor cleaner, and cleaned up the throttle body. After putting everything back together and firing her up, I immediately noticed an increase of ~50rpms up to ~650rpm, and a smoother idle.
After going down this road, I would say this is definitely a maintenance item that should be at least looked at no later than every 100K miles with these DFI engines and AOSs. It's not difficult to do, just a bit time consuming. Worth it in my opinion.
The above videos were excellent resources, as well as Mr. Richardson,
. Especially towards the end where he explains how to re-install the engine cover, insulation, and carpet in the 981 Boxsters.

Noah Fect (04-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 12:58 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by derevis
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

”...to keep it as new has been his dearest dream.”
I don't know of any reason to presume it wouldn't be a problem - it's simply the physics of combustion by-products. That's the number one reason I didn't look at 987.2s and later - I explicitly didn't want DFI. Also didn't want electric steering but that's a separate issue.
cavediver32043 (04-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Should We Be Concerned About DFI Carbon Build-Up?