Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S - PCM Navi and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 09:53 PM
cayman_s
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 981 Cayman S - PCM Navi and Android Auto

Hi, I had some questions about the PCM Navigation system on a 2014 981 Cayman S.

1) On the main center console navigation screen, when selecting "Map" mode, is there a way to have the screen updated in real time to focus on the arrow (current GPS location of the car) as the car is driving to different areas? This would be a nice thing to have and see in the center. I was wondering if this is possible when in non-navigation mode. After the car is started, I am able to click on the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT arrows on the map to align the orange arrow at the center of the screen, but after driving out of that area, the screen remains still and I am no longer able to see the orange arrow (current GPS location). On the dash behind the steering wheel, this seems to be possible - the GPS arrow and screen gets updated in real time as I drive to new locations allowing me to know which street I am currently on.

2) Has anyone installed android auto in their 2014 981 Cayman S? Is this possible? If so, what is the process for installing this? And if so, how can the phone be integrated with it?

3) In general, how can one upgrade the version of the car's PCM? Is there specific software depending on the car model and year or is it the same for all models? I am wondering if my version of the PCM is older and would like to update with the latest.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:52 AM
forestial
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

1. I have the same car and I assume the same Navi. If I understand correctly, mine does what you are asking, except that the “arrow” that indicates current location remains at the lower center of the screen not the center. So you see more of where you are heading, not where you have been. You may need to tap on an arrow icon at the top right corner: I could not figure out exactly what that does but it seems to be a toggle between two modes of operation and has something to do with maintaining the orientation of the map..a couple of times that I pressed it said “unable to select north orientation” or some such thing. But anyway, the map does keep track of where I am.

2. don’t know

3. Again don’t know but am likewise curious. I thought I had read, but don’t know where, that you can get a DVD which can update it. Mine (Info button, then Option menu) shows v4.76. I would also be interested to know how the maps can be updated.
The following users liked this post:
cayman_s (06-19-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 03:06 AM
cayman_s
Intermediate

Thanks for the info forestial. Interesting, my center console in "Map" (not navigation mode) doesn't seem to re-orient my current position as I am driving around town. For example if I start driving from city A and position the map there, then drive to city B, the map will remain on city A. Will try the arrow icon at the top right corner.

Yeah - I am interested in android auto and possibly upgrading the software version of my PCM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:51 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I also have a 2014 CS with Version 3.1 PCM. My map s/w is 4.76 and was updated to that with the disc set I purchased from SunCoast Porsche in Fla. and had my dealer install. Not sure if there is a newer version of the maps available. Give them a call to find out.
What is Android Auto?
cayman_s (06-19-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 03:12 AM
cayman_s
Intermediate

My PCM software version is 4.73. Ah, looks like I would need to buy this to update it: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X1PCM31.html Was hoping there would be a free one somewhere online

Here is Android Auto: https://www.android.com/auto/ . It is like Google Maps but with a streamlined interface for automobiles. Should be able to connect with phone wirelessly to provide internet access to access apps (maps, music, calendar, google assistant, etc) on the car display.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:14 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

I noticed on the Android site that Porsche was not one of the makes that is supported by this Android app!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:33 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

My understanding is that Porsche did not agree to work with Android/Google because Google wanted a mountain of performance and engine data to be provided for each Android installed in a Porsche. (And for all other car mfgrs -- something Apple does not apparently require for their CarPlay)
Old 06-18-2020, 12:44 PM
forestial
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by cayman_s
My PCM software version is 4.73. Ah, looks like I would need to buy this to update it: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X1PCM31.html Was hoping there would be a free one somewhere online
That looks a bit pricey to get from 4.73 to 4.76 (or whatever version they are selling; it does not even say that), unless there is a description somewhere of how extensive the map changes are. Also note the dreaded statement "Special Note: dealer installation and activation required."
cayman_s (06-19-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 04:11 PM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

When I updated from 4.73 to 4.76 with the disk I purchased from Suncoast and had my local Porsche dealer do the install I thought the total cost was very expensive. Also, I could not find any description on exactly what changed between 4.73 and 4.76. It all works well but probably would have done so with the previous version as well. Also, I thought I read some where that there is another new disk available now. Not totally sure however.
cayman_s (06-19-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 08:35 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 80 Posts

Android auto is possible by installing some extra hardware inside the PCM unit. One kit that enable wireless Android Auto on PCM 3.1 is Joyeauto. It also has Car Play features for iOs users. It's around $400 on Aliexpress. I'm planning to do this upgrade very soon. The BT system on PCM 3.1 is very annoying. You can also add back up camera features if you wish.
Here's a great DIY video on youtube:
cayman_s (06-19-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:41 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

2) I've seen many many posts about people throwing out Porsche PCM relict crap and installing completely new head unit, usually Pioneer, that has EVERYTHING modern world has, including 2 cameras, and remote android auto. The installation is pretty straightforward too. I'm about to do it one day too, when i find time.

* if you already have nav - new headunit will not show map in the right dash dial. But I think one can live with that in exchange to all other goodies.

-Vlad, T-Design9.com
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

cayman_s (06-19-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 11:20 AM
GTR2BAR
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
2) I've seen many many posts about people throwing out Porsche PCM relict crap and installing completely new head unit, usually Pioneer, that has EVERYTHING modern world has, including 2 cameras, and remote android auto. The installation is pretty straightforward too. I'm about to do it one day too, when i find time.

* if you already have nav - new headunit will not show map in the right dash dial. But I think one can live with that in exchange to all other goodies.

-Vlad, T-Design9.com
Removing the factory head unit for an aftermarket one will also cause sport+ mode to stop working as well though will it not? There was recently a member who claimed his button stopped working after head unit swap and dealer had told him you it is required. Have also heard from the dealer I was recently speaking about it that communication lines that are required for sport+ go through the head unit and all sport+ functionality is rendered inoperable without it
Old 08-17-2020, 02:36 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

This is the first time I hear this, and can not deny or confirm.

But from all my previous experience - listening to the dealer is the last thing one should do. They are the least knowledgeable people. They often say things that are total nonsense
Old 08-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by forestial
That looks a bit pricey to get from 4.73 to 4.76 (or whatever version they are selling; it does not even say that), unless there is a description somewhere of how extensive the map changes are. Also note the dreaded statement "Special Note: dealer installation and activation required."
You are talking about two independent things. The software update from 4.73 to 4.76 is a $20 disc that you can do yourself with no dealer intervention. Or the dealer can do it.

The map update which was offered for sale in early 2019 must be installed by the dealer. You order the map update and you get a code. The dealer then uses the actual update discs that they have to order separately and install in your car. Once installed, they take the discrete code you get when you order the map updates and using the PIWIS, they unlock the maps.

By pushing the MAP and SOURE button simultaneously on your PCM 3.1, you will see the version and install history to confirm the new map update took place and to confirm 4.76

See these threads for the whole story:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1154...on-update.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1139904-map-update.html
Viper pilot (08-19-2020)

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S - PCM Navi and Android Auto