Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 12:17 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 224 Posts

I seem to be able to toggle the coding for Sports & Sports Plus in the AC module without having to input an activation code. My Sports Plus mode was already working but I'm wondering if this might help those who are stuck.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:28 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for revisiting this one... I have been successful with all of those three screens referenced:
  1. I successfully activated Sport-Chrono in the PCM (with a code); this unlocked several new functions
  2. No problem coding a button to Sport Plus in the BKE, but that function is unavailable without an unlocking code
  3. I have also successfully tweaked the Instrument Cluster in Engineering Mode to add multiple new pages
The problem seems to be that SOME of our cars appear to require an activation code to actually unlock the Sport Plus function; and others do not (or maybe were delivered 'factory unlocked' even without the button added?)...

Still hoping to crack this one... one day!
Old 03-21-2023, 04:40 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob's-981S
Thanks for revisiting this one... I have been successful with all of those three screens referenced:
  1. I successfully activated Sport-Chrono in the PCM (with a code); this unlocked several new functions
  2. No problem coding a button to Sport Plus in the BKE, but that function is unavailable without an unlocking code
  3. I have also successfully tweaked the Instrument Cluster in Engineering Mode to add multiple new pages
The problem seems to be that SOME of our cars appear to require an activation code to actually unlock the Sport Plus function; and others do not (or maybe were delivered 'factory unlocked' even without the button added?)...

Still hoping to crack this one... one day!
What a mystery. I'll pull part numbers and software versions from my car when I get the chance and share it here. Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 10:05 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

A big thank you to nhnguy12 for assisting me with another test, which provided a little more information.
1. In my A/C Control Unit (aka 'BKE') I tried inputting and saving the VIN from a different vehicle, along with its associated Activation Code which had successfully activated the Sport Plus mode in that car. Unfortunately no luck again, with Sport Plus still showing 'OFF'
2. I tried the same VIN and Activation Code in my PCM3.1, and they were accepted and Sport Chrono features were accessible. So... no problem with that VIN or code.
So, I've put the original VIN back in and everything is back to normal.

At this point I am using three modules which came from a car that had active Sport Plus, so I am assuming that the reason I cannot get activation lies somewhere other than in those three modules? The are:
  • Instrument Cluster
  • PCM3.1 (Radio)
  • A/C Control Panel

For the other modules in the car I have painstakingly compared Part Number / Firmware / Software Version, etc. against the VAL (Vehicle Analysis Log) from other vehicles with Sport Plus active: I can find no differences.

Hmmm...What next?
The following 2 users liked this post by Rob's-981S:
Jim981CS (03-22-2023), nhnguy12 (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 09:31 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 181 Posts

A big thank you to nhnguy12 for assisting me with another test, which provided a little more information.
1. In my A/C Control Unit (aka 'BKE') I tried inputting and saving the VIN from a different vehicle, along with its associated Activation Code which had successfully activated the Sport Plus mode in that car. Unfortunately no luck again, with Sport Plus still showing 'OFF'
2. I tried the same VIN and Activation Code in my PCM3.1, and they were accepted and Sport Chrono features were accessible. So... no problem with that VIN or code.

At this point I am using three modules which came from a car that had active Sport Plus, so I am assuming that the reason I cannot get activation lies somewhere other than in those three modules? The are:
  • Instrument Cluster
  • PCM3.1 (Radio)
  • A/C Control Panel

For the other modules in the car I have painstakingly compared Part Number / Firmware / Software Version, etc. against the VAL (Vehicle Analysis Log) from other vehicles with Sport Plus active: I can find no differences.

Hmmm...What next?
I also have a huge thanks to @nhnguy12 for his patience and incredible help in trying to activate the sports plus function on my 2014 Cayman S. I have also run into the same stopping point that you and some others have with the “off” being displayed instead of the needed “active” after the 16 digit activation code is entered in the air conditioner module. The PCM accepted the code and the rest of @Visual procedure was successful. @nhnguy12 helped me get the activation code and worked me through all the coding step’s including sharing his VIN and activation code for me to try to unlock the puzzle. I have grandkids his age but unfortunately they do not share my love of cars and appreciate his time and help even though we are still unsuccessful in unlocking the SC mystery.

I will share my information in hopes of the someone cracking the mystery of why some can activate Sport Chrono and others cannot:

2014 Cayman S with PDK, PASM and PCM3.1 (replaced under warranty in 2017 V4.76 software and proactively upgraded it with a SSD drive), added PSE and dealership coded the PSE switch and also the SPORT PLUS button in the proper 2nd left position in anticipation of me activating Sport Chrono in the future. I also installed the Sports Chrono clock per @Visual thread and have been using it as a clock. I uninstalled the Cobb tune and Cobb PDK tune before attempting the coding. The build date of my car is 1/2014. I purchased it in 2017 and the only time it’s been to the dealership was last July for the charcoal canister recall and have no knowledge of other PIWIS programming at a dealership.

To avoid potential issues with the software versions with PIWIS3 I purchased a complete PIWIS2 system including the Panasonic CF30 Windows XP laptop with version 18.150.500 software. Easy to use system for an old guy that has never owned a laptop and doesn’t know a virtual machine from a voice Mail.😂
I received the same activation code from two different vendors and followed the steps from @Visual several times with the same results and each time with the same snag at the “off” result after entering the activation code in the A/C module. I also confirmed the proper VIN was already displayed in the A/C module.

If anyone needs software versions or serial numbers of modules I will be glad to look them up.
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 03-24-2023 at 09:25 AM.
nhnguy12 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 10:16 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

That's interesting Jim... seems you and I own virtually identical cars; the only difference being my production date of 11/13. My eldest grandsons are just starting to recognize what a cool car I own... one has already 'offered' to show me how to 'drift' it: nope.

Not to go off thread here; however I am curious as to whether you'd recommend the COBB tune? I am considering FVD and Softronic too.

I know that with certain COBB options (with PDK) it can produce similar effects to the Sport + button: for example I believe dropping the paddles can emulate the 'launch' function. Any thoughts on that?

Regardless, activating Sport + has become a challenge at this point, and I do not like to lose.

I keep wondering if there's some hidden setting, accessible in PIWIS Engineering Mode, buried within one of the many strings of options... which we need a German-speaking Engineer to help us find. There must also be some reference materials which explain all the options: but maybe only available to the factory.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:01 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

That's interesting Jim... seems you and I own virtually identical cars; the only difference being my production date of 11/13. My eldest grandsons are just starting to recognize what a cool car I own... one has already 'offered' to show me how to 'drift' it: nope.

Not to go off thread here; however I am curious as to whether you'd recommend the COBB tune? I am considering FVD and Softronic too.

I know that with certain COBB options (with PDK) it can produce similar effects to the Sport + button: for example I believe dropping the paddles can emulate the 'launch' function. Any thoughts on that?

Regardless, activating Sport + has become a challenge at this point, and I do not like to lose.

I keep wondering if there's some hidden setting, accessible in PIWIS Engineering Mode, buried within one of the many strings of options... which we need a German-speaking Engineer to help us find. There must also be some reference materials which explain all the options: but maybe only available to the factory.
I also wonder if the later build date cars might be the issue??? @nhnguy12 was successful with his activation and his build date is 4/13. I would be interested in the build dates of @Visual and any one else that was successful.

I have an earlier version of the Cobb with PDK flash before it was neutered and have headers and use their stage2 93 octane tune and aggressive PDK tune. It greatly reduced the 2500 rpm torque dip and really livened up the car and increased the shift points and firms the shifts. It’s actually drivable in the standard mode and really good in sport mode. A big bonus is that I mounted the Cobb to the driver’s side vent and set up the 6 gauge display that lets you choose from dozens of functions to monitor and data log. I am currently displaying coolant, oil, PDK clutch fluid, transmission/differential fluid actual temperatures and A/F ratio and launch control. The PDK flash also has the launch control function and it also acts as an OBD2 code reader and can clear fault codes. Some members on Planet9 download and saved the older pre neutered maps and have made them available if requested. You can also purchase a pro tune for the Cobb if you want more power. The PDK also has several tuning options. In some respects this is probably equal to or better than Sports Chrono in many areas except it does not reduce the PSM Nannies like sports plus. It also has a 0-60 and 1/4 mile timers with mph. But I still want to activate sports chrono just because I still want it.🤔
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 03-24-2023 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added picture
Rob's-981S (03-23-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 02:49 PM
ohmyggg
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by forestial
Doesn't Sport Chrono also include dynamic engine (or transmission) mounts? I'm not expert enough to really know what that does, or what the parts would be, but it sounds like something that would be a significant bit of work to install.
Yup, Sport Chrono on the 981 includes dynamic transmission mounts (not engine mounts as was suggested a few times above). On the 991, they’re engine mounts though.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:55 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Good info.; thank you!

So this begs the question, does a vehicle HAVE to be fitted with Dynamic Engine Mounts in order for SP + to be activated?

Can anyone who has successfully activated add-on SP + confirm one way or another?
Old 03-24-2023, 03:54 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Mine does not have dynamic mounts and I was able to activate Sports Plus without any errors.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:39 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

• Instrument Cluster
  • PCM3.1 (Radio)
  • A/C Control Panel

Hmmm...What next?
Rob,
I have gathered some more information from @nhnguy12 since post #125 above and also from @Visual and also from reviewing an older post from @rob0001 and as far as I am aware these are the only successful activations of the sports chrono function on a 981. All three seem to be early build dates of 5/13 or before and used PIWIS2 with V18.150.500 to activate the hacked code. I have been able to gather complete information from @nhnguy12 and have theory that an early a/c control module part number 99165320513 (with heat/vent seats) with hardware version 405 and software version V1610 may possibly be the key to the activation code not being accepted by a newer a/c module. The part number in my later build date of 1/14 is 99165320515 (also with heat/vent seats) and has hardware version 406 and software version 1800. He also has an early PCM3.1 with V4.41 software and does not have Jukebox which is typically part of the HW version 4 PCM3.1 upgrade that happened during 2013 so it must be a mid upgrade unit??? The part numbers,sw and hw versions are available on PIWIS under the Extended Identification function.

What are the part numbers and hardware and software versions of the new a/c control panel and PCM and does the PCM have the jukebox function? Are these and specifically the a/c control panel the earlier unit? If any other member has also been successful with the activation please provide build dates and options, or if you have been unsuccessful and have an early build date, to help solve the puzzle as why a few have been successful and many have not.
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 04-05-2023 at 12:18 AM.
nhnguy12 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:51 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 367 Likes on 231 Posts

Great work all and way to persevere!! I have been watching this thread, though there may be no hope for my car as I only have the base entertainment system. Still holding out hope though!

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 04-07-2023, 05:29 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Jim,

I finally had a chance to mess around with PIWIS again last night... and I created a new VAL.

From that VAL I can confirm:
  • PIWIS II is at Version 18.150.500
  • BKE PN is 99165320513
  • BKE HW is 405
  • BKE SW is V1610
  • My PCM 3.1 has a Jukebox function
BOTH the PCM and the current BKE were purchased from a seller with active Sport Plus on his 2014 Cayman S.

I also hunted through the VAL again (as I have also done so in Engineering Mode) to see whether there are any references to the Sport Plus encoding beyond the BKE and measured values from the Keypad (and the Sport Chrono activation in the PCM) but I cannot find anything to suggest any other module has an associated setting..

Does this help any?

Rob
Old 04-07-2023, 07:45 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Jim,

I finally had a chance to mess around with PIWIS again last night... and I created a new VAL.

From that VAL I can confirm:
  • PIWIS II is at Version 18.150.500
  • BKE PN is 99165320513
  • BKE HW is 405
  • BKE SW is V1610
  • My PCM 3.1 has a Jukebox function
BOTH the PCM and the current BKE were purchased from a seller with active Sport Plus on his 2014 Cayman S.

I also hunted through the VAL again (as I have also done so in Engineering Mode) to see whether there are any references to the Sport Plus encoding beyond the BKE and measured values from the Keypad (and the Sport Chrono activation in the PCM) but I cannot find anything to suggest any other module has an associated setting..

Does this help any?

Rob
Rob,
Thanks, that accomplished two things, it blows my theory on the early BKE air con unit 991653205 with HW 405 SW V1610 being the key and you saved me from going down a rabbit hole and spending $400 to test my theory as you already did. I have sent a couple of dm’s to @Visual and am waiting on some information about his early build to check for similarities with @nhnguy12 build. I am still curious about the software version of your PCM. If you push the INFO and SOURCE at the same time it should display V4.76 or your version. Then press HISTORY and it should display the date. I don’t think that the PCM is the issue because it seemed to accept the activation code but I would like to rule it out.

While playing with PIWIS in engineering mode in the instrument cluster to activate the G-Force display, I did not have time to google translate the many screens of options in German but did notice CHRONO and SPORT come up multiple times. I wonder if the instrument cluster may also play a role in the SC activation ???
Jim

Old 04-07-2023, 08:12 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Jim,

Yup; my PCM3.1 shows Version 4.76... and when I press 'History' it shows two different source dates:

23-APR-2014D
12-JUN-2015-D

... with various version numbers (?) underneath.

I've done a lot of experimentation with the Instrument Cluster settings too (and I think you know that I purchased my cluster from that same car with active SP+, since it had the video input connector required for the map display in the right gauge).

With the settings I've messed around with I have been able to activate multiple additional gauges (such as G-Force, Clock / Chrono, Performance, etc.) as well as tweaking the Neutral indicator and the 'SPORT' icon.

There are still however multiple lines accessible in Engineering Mode, which are not obvious in either meaning or function if activated. I suppose it's entirely possible that some unique combination is settings is required behind the scenes.

The mystery continues...

Rob

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package