Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023 | 08:24 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob's-981S
as well as tweaking the Neutral indicator
Rob
Sorry for derailing the thread, but what command line is used for showing neutral?
Old 04-07-2023 | 08:39 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

In the Cluster Coding (Kombuninstrument) in Engineering Mode you can set:

"Weitere Codierungen: Ganganzeige Anzeige N Aktiviert" to Ja (yes)... to enable the 'N' display.

Hope this helps!!
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (04-07-2023)
Old 04-13-2023 | 10:38 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

I was just going through my VAL and I noticed a subtle difference in one of the modules that I missed previously... my Keypad (LIN) has Software Version 1190; whereas the version used by at least one other person with active SP+ is 1200.

Could the seemingly insignificant Keypad hold the key?

Jim, what is your Keypad SW version?
Old 04-13-2023 | 11:43 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

I was just going through my VAL and I noticed a subtle difference in one of the modules that I missed previously... my Keypad (LIN) has Software Version 1190; whereas the version used by at least one other person with active SP+ is 1200.

Could the seemingly insignificant Keypad hold the key?

Jim, what is your Keypad SW version?
keypad (LIN) sw version 1200
keypad (LIN) hw version 070
air con part #99165320515
hw version 406
sw version 1800

@nhnguy12 also has the keypad (LIN) sw version 1200 and hw version 070, but has the older air con 99165320513 with hw version 405 and sw version V1610

I am curious why he has the same keypad (LIN) sw version 1200 with his older air con unit that I have??? I assume that the keypad is part of the air con unit?
Jim
Edit: I now see that the keypad (LIN) is the console switch panel and mine is a replacement unit that I installed as part of the Suncoast PSE kit to add the PSE button.

Last edited by Jim981CS; 04-14-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2023 | 11:55 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

In retrospect it can't be the Keypad, because as you point out it can be replaced to add the PSE button (I've done that too), and there is nothing in the instructions which suggest the later unit would block SP +. I think this is another dead end.

I DO have one other thing to try tonight, but its kind'a grasping at straws... after sorting through the VAL line by line I discovered that when I upgraded to 'Sport Chrono' and added a dash clock ('Stopwatch') from eBay, that clock unit still has the original vehicle's VIN. Could it be that when I try to activate, the system does a quick check of all associated component VINs? Worth a try.

I also note that when one looks at the Front-end and Rear-end Electronics, both are listed as 9X1 GT4. Does anyone else see this?

That's about all I can come up with for now.
Old 04-14-2023 | 12:13 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

How do I send you my VAL? I have to admit we've gotten to a point where most of what is being said now is going over my head haha.
Old 04-14-2023 | 12:31 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

That would be cool... THANK YOU!!

It would certainly be interesting to compare line-by-line.

I believe you can attach that to a PM... otherwise I'll PM you my email address?
Old 04-14-2023 | 02:09 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

In retrospect it can't be the Keypad, because as you point out it can be replaced to add the PSE button (I've done that too), and there is nothing in the instructions which suggest the later unit would block SP +. I think this is another dead end.

I DO have one other thing to try tonight, but its kind'a grasping at straws... after sorting through the VAL line by line I discovered that when I upgraded to 'Sport Chrono' and added a dash clock ('Stopwatch') from eBay, that clock unit still has the original vehicle's VIN. Could it be that when I try to activate, the system does a quick check of all associated component VINs? Worth a try.

I also note that when one looks at the Front-end and Rear-end Electronics, both are listed as 9X1 GT4. Does anyone else see this?

That's about all I can come up with for now.
I also installed a clock and it was from a 2021 GT4 and did not change vin or do any coding. I wonder if @Visual changed vin as he also installed an eBay clock. He didn’t mention it if he did.
Jim
Old 04-14-2023 | 11:09 PM
Advanced

Hmm I wonder if the clock could be it. I did NOT install a clock and have had no luck with the Sport+ activation.

Do we know if anyone has successfully activated without a clock? Maybe it's checking both for a clock to be present and for the VIN to match on that clock?
Old 04-14-2023 | 11:18 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

I've just been tweaking with PIWIS, and although I was able to easily update the Clock's VIN (in Engineering Mode) this unfortunately was not the magic fix I was looking for (for SP+ activation)

I did learn something new however, in that the Clock was not visible in after-sales mode until I corrected its VIN in Engineering Mode...

Next step is doing a full line-by-line comparison of my VAL against the same car with SP+ active... our friend from Arizona has kindly offered to share his!!

Last edited by Rob's-981S; 04-14-2023 at 11:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rob's-981S:
Jim981CS (04-14-2023), nhnguy12 (04-15-2023)
Old 04-14-2023 | 11:31 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by 01010011
Hmm I wonder if the clock could be it. I did NOT install a clock and have had no luck with the Sport+ activation.

Do we know if anyone has successfully activated without a clock? Maybe it's checking both for a clock to be present and for the VIN to match on that clock?
@nhnguy12 was successful in activating Sports plus and he did not install the clock.
Jim
Old 04-14-2023 | 11:46 PM
Advanced

Well so much for the clock idea, it was worth a try. Every time I see there's a new post on this thread I eagerly click on it, hopeful for a solution...
Old 04-18-2023 | 03:30 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

So, thanks again to 'nhnguy12' I've had an opportunity to compare VAL (Vehicle Analysis Logs) between my 2014 Cayman S (without Sport Plus), and his virtually identical car with active Sport Plus mode. The similarly optioned cars differ in 'birth date' by literally a month or two...

Basically, using PIWIS I was able to open nicely formatted versions of the VALs, which I converted to pdfs and viewed side by side.

Interestingly the modules which I thought might show configuration differences look to be programmed more or less identically (at least from the level of information reported in the VAL). In other words the PCM (Radio), the Instrument Cluster, the A/C module (aka 'BKE'... where the 'Function Activation' feature for Sport + resides), and the Keypad are set up very similarly. Essentially the only differences noted here were that the "Sport + Function Enable" config. in the BKE shows 'off' in my car and 'active' in the other. We already knew that

The Gateway Module shows subtly different Part Number and software; however more interestingly the Gateway contains a code word of about 280 hex bytes which varies considerably between the vehicles: there is no way to break it down further. That code is called the PAG Vehicle Order, which I assume is the build / configuration instruction for manufacture... so it is entirely possible that this might hold some deeply buried secrets.

Other key things I noticed were that the Front-end and Rear-end Electronics in each vehicle were quite different, all the way from their name (referred to as a '9x1 GT4' module in my car and a '9x1 VR12' in the other),to the significant number of additional Configuration Settings that appear in the latter '9x1 VR12 module'. I did not see anything which looks to be associated with Sport +; however all those extra setting that my car does not have may account for something. Very odd.

So, far from providing definitive answers to this quest I only have more questions... ugh.
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023 | 03:39 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

So, thanks again to 'nhnguy12' I've had an opportunity to compare VAL (Vehicle Analysis Logs) between my 2014 Cayman S (without Sport Plus), and his virtually identical car with active Sport Plus mode. The similarly optioned cars differ in 'birth date' by literally a month or two...

Basically, using PIWIS I was able to open nicely formatted versions of the VALs, which I converted to pdfs and viewed side by side.

Interestingly the modules which I thought might show configuration differences look to be programmed more or less identically (at least from the level of information reported in the VAL). In other words the PCM (Radio), the Instrument Cluster, the A/C module (aka 'BKE'... where the 'Function Activation' feature for Sport + resides), and the Keypad are set up very similarly. Essentially the only differences noted here were that the "Sport + Function Enable" config. in the BKE shows 'off' in my car and 'active' in the other. We already knew that

The Gateway Module shows subtly different Part Number and software; however more interestingly the Gateway contains a code word of about 280 hex bytes which varies considerably between the vehicles: there is no way to break it down further. That code is called the PAG Vehicle Order, which I assume is the build / configuration instruction for manufacture... so it is entirely possible that this might hold some deeply buried secrets.

Other key things I noticed were that the Front-end and Rear-end Electronics in each vehicle were quite different, all the way from their name (referred to as a '9x1 GT4' module in my car and a '9x1 VR12' in the other),to the significant number of additional Configuration Settings that appear in the latter '9x1 VR12 module'. I did not see anything which looks to be associated with Sport +; however all those extra setting that my car does not have may account for something. Very odd.

So, far from providing definitive answers to this quest I only have more questions... ugh.
That's a shame that comparing VALs didn't seem to yield anything. One has to wonder whether the answer to our questions is the most obvious (but least desirable). Perhaps after a certain build-date Porsche wised up and decided to use separate activation codes for the PCM and BKE units.
Old 04-18-2023 | 04:07 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Yeah; I am feeling as if the answers we need lie under some veil that we cannot see behind (at least with the level of tools accessible to us). In other words the only way to get to the bottom of this is to find a factory Porsche guy who's willing to 'talk'...

I know that the tuning company FVD supposedly uses ex-Porsche programmers / developers, and I am thinking about reaching out in that direction (i.e. to their German development center). I kind'a wish we had a native German on this thread to try that approach...

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package