Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 11:18 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 14 Posts

I checked my DME, and it shows SW Ver.:
W06C30C1348UD1M
However, I also note the programming date as 4/4/2016... so I am assuming this cannot be the culprit for the blocked Sport Chrono mode.

I also looked through the VAL, searching for "date" to see if I could figure what they changed when my car was repaired following the rear-end.

I could find nothing from that date (this year); although noted several 'Programming Date' references showing: 1666665. I have no idea what this is; however scanning through other VALs that folks have made available online, this number does seem to appear elsewhere.

So; is there a piece of software / firmware somewhere that's not clearly reported in the VAL, which controls Sport Plus activation?

The only other thing I can think of is to try looking at my A/C control unit (from a vehicle with verified active 'Sports +') in the PIWIS Engineering mode tonight, in case there's something I missed when attempting to program it in After Sales mode...
Old 07-25-2022, 11:31 AM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I understand 01010011 has a A/C control unit that had Sport+ before but was upgraded to have cool seats.
01010011 is this something you would have time to investigate and share with us?
Old 07-25-2022, 11:36 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

And... one more thing that's a big mystery in the VAL is the Gateway. It shows Software Version '1043' but no date.

Also, in the Coding Overview tables the Gateway just contains a mass of Hex coding.

Maybe the Sport + function is controlled from there? Problem is I don't even know which module contains the Gateway coding... is it the BCM (Body Control Module)? If so I might try to acquire one of those too...
Old 07-25-2022, 12:08 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

One more piece of information I found by Googling for Porsche TSBs and Campaigns... the document stated that the 'Remedy' for deactivating Sports + is to re-code the:

"Transmission Control Unit, and in some cases both the DME Control unit and Transmission Control unit, will be updated"

This suggests to me that reversing this issue is much more difficult than we assumed...

BTW my PDK software version is Q061
Old 07-25-2022, 12:15 PM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

this is vey good information ... not that makes our job easier but at least we know better. It make sense as the new/updated maps for Sport+ on PDK and DME are potentially used. My car is in service (actually adding Ohlins) will have it back on Wed. The key seems how to program previous firmware. Let us keep digging.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:51 AM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

My A/C unit is the original that came with the car, never had Sport+. I think it was peterfrans who did a replacement to get heated seats.

Anyway, even though it seems like it’s more than just the A/C unit, the additional info for mine:

SW Version: W06C30C1278UM1L
Part No.: 99161860203
Software Part No: 98161861915

My Gateway also shows SW version 1043. Not sure where it is physically located, if it’s part of another control unit, or separate. There are coding functions associated with it, that’s where you can define the battery type and size. But I didn’t see anything related to Sport+ that seemed obvious.

My car is a manual, so no separate transmission control unit or software as far as I am aware, although I imagine there’s got to be something programmed into maybe the ECU, since Sport+ supposedly does add rev matching.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:20 PM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

sorry my confusion ....
Old 07-26-2022, 04:37 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

So... I FINALLY think I have the answer to all of this; I was able to acquire the Official Porsche TSB. Service 148/21ENU.

It is called:
  • "AMCO - Re-Programming DME and Transmission Control Unit (Recall Campaign)"

The recall explains:
  • "During internal tests, Porsche has discovered that increased exhaust emissions may occur under certain driving conditions in Sport+ mode on the 911 (991 I) Basic/S/GTS and Boxster/ Cayman S (981)."

I am attaching the TSB so you can read the details for your own model, but for my Cayman S I have been able to definitively verify that the DME and Transmission software have been updated per this Recall. I also note that the Recall states a specific version of PIWIS III is required to perform this update, and I would also assume that the same version would be required... if it was possible to flash an earlier software version back into these modules. But I bet this is highly unlikely.

SO... I'm going to stop messing around with trying to activate the Sports + function at this point. I think its too much trouble and is likely only possible by acquiring several more modules from a known donor vehicle; and then if the car ever has to go to a dealer everything is lost.

Does anyone know what options from FVD, Softronic, and / or other tuners are worth trying instead? I think this will be my new direction on this one...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Sport Plus - Campaign.pdf (87.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-26-2022, 09:14 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob's-981S
So... I FINALLY think I have the answer to all of this; I was able to acquire the Official Porsche TSB. Service 148/21ENU.

It is called:
  • "AMCO - Re-Programming DME and Transmission Control Unit (Recall Campaign)"

The recall explains:
  • "During internal tests, Porsche has discovered that increased exhaust emissions may occur under certain driving conditions in Sport+ mode on the 911 (991 I) Basic/S/GTS and Boxster/ Cayman S (981)."

I am attaching the TSB so you can read the details for your own model, but for my Cayman S I have been able to definitively verify that the DME and Transmission software have been updated per this Recall. I also note that the Recall states a specific version of PIWIS III is required to perform this update, and I would also assume that the same version would be required... if it was possible to flash an earlier software version back into these modules. But I bet this is highly unlikely.

SO... I'm going to stop messing around with trying to activate the Sports + function at this point. I think its too much trouble and is likely only possible by acquiring several more modules from a known donor vehicle; and then if the car ever has to go to a dealer everything is lost.

Does anyone know what options from FVD, Softronic, and / or other tuners are worth trying instead? I think this will be my new direction on this one...
I wouldn’t think they would perform this recall programming that only involves cars with Sports+ when your car does not have it. I had my non Sport+ 2014CS in two weeks ago for the fuel tank leakage module recall and the invoice only listed that and no listing or mention AMCO recall or reprogramming and this is the only time I have been to the dealership in the last four years.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (12-02-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 11:47 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Well that makes good sense, nevertheless my car currently has the two software versions listed in the Recall installed... so perhaps whenever a PDK transmission is checked (as mine was after the accident), the dealer just updates to whatever the latest version is?

Regardless, unless or until we have a way to reliably regress to earlier SW versions in the DME and PDK... I think Porsche has us beaten on this quest...

Last edited by Rob's-981S; 07-26-2022 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:08 AM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

Completely understand the challenge. Unfortunately we are dealing with something not that simple as already explained. My only "concern" in using aftermarket PDK tune is that can put additional stress into the unit and cause issues down the road. Typically the tunes increase clamping pressures on clutches in order to improve shifting times. If the tuner uses what is part of Sport+ should be fine but how do we know this is the case .... for the sake of selling sometimes the advertising takes precedent over technical knowledge.
With CPO I wont take the risk at this time reason I am looking to stick with approved retrofit what on this case is not available.
Anyway hopefully somebody comes with a solution we can trust.
Let us keep in touch.
The following 2 users liked this post by rennforum:
ElCid86 (08-01-2022), Rob's-981S (07-27-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 01:37 PM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

Hi. After some thought I would like to give a last chance on this topic inspired by some successful activations ( not many I understand ).
I plan in getting an older AC unit to eliminate the factor of latest firmware update wont accept activation code. After some more deep dive I would like to cross check some information with people which were successful on activation but also owners who already have sport+ from factory in order to confirm component part number and software level. This is the starting point.

Please could you confirm component part number, software part number and date when software was updated for the following ECUs?

DME (engine ECU)
PDK
BKE (ac control unit)
Console switch unit (where the sport+ is located)

My information is as follow:

DME : 98161863222 / SW W06C30C1348UD20
PDK : 98161838017 / SW Q061
BKE : 99165320517 / SW 2110
Console switch : 99161325504 / SW 1190

Really appreciate the support as I continue to find a solution for this.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:33 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

I do not have Sport +... but my BKE (A/C Control unit), the PCM 3.1 and the Cluster all came from a vehicle of the same year and model as mine (2014 S) with verified active Sport + (from the factory). When I installed them the only thing I changed was their VIN; and they are all working perfectly. So I feel that the root of this issue is likely in another module... somewhere...
Old 11-30-2022, 10:42 AM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

appreciate the feedback .... just to understand you didnt have Sport + but after updating BKE, PCM and cluster and updating VIN you got access to Sport+ is that correct? I assume you had also to update the console to add the switch correct?
did you have to insert code in order to enable Sport Chrono?
Old 11-30-2022, 11:18 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

This is all buried in previous posts, but basically:
  1. First step was buying the Sport Plus switch and installing in the console, then assigning that switch as the Sport Plus function using PIWIS.
  2. At the same time I bought a code online for Sports Plus and tried to activate it, but it wasn't accepted by the BKE (tried various methods including using PIWIS in 'Engineering' mode'', in German).
  3. Next I tried changing my CDR unit for a PCM, and I added NAV at the same time... I also needed to change the cluster due to an additional cable for the map video.
  4. In concert with buying the PCM I purchased a 'complete set' of codes for my VIN from a different online seller... and I was able to successfully activate multiple new features in the PCM including NAV and Sports Chrono. So, I know these codes are good.
  5. The second set of codes I purchased also included Sport Plus activation (and it was exactly the SAME as the original code I purchased, which suggests they are both correct).I tried activating Sport Plus again but it did not work.
  6. Next I purchased the BKE - A/C control unit from another vehicle with active Sports Plus. I installed it; updated the VIN and then tried the Sport Plus activation again... but no luck.
I did all of this using my PIWIS II and the same software version that other people seem to be using, so I am thinking it is unlikely a problem with the PIWIS and probably something else in the car. I have also compared the VAL print out with others who have Sport Plus active and cannot seem to find a difference; and I have also tried changing the 'option packages' in PIWIS... but all to no avail.

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package