Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 06:42 PM
981pnonline
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an update, and am curious if this helps others. This method seems to result in a much more spirited "Sport" mode and could possible be the "Sport Plus" we are all looking for but, given the dash still shows "Sport" for me, I can't definitively say. Maybe some more technical members can shed some light as to what this is actually doing:

Background: 2015 981 Cayman Base using PIWIS 2
Method:
  1. In After Sales Mode (English Mode) change vehicle product type to Cayman GT4 by going into either the Gateway Module (Manual Coding) or Maintenance Vehicle Data (located under additional menus)
    • From what I understand, what this does is, given there is no Sports button on the GT4 only Sports Plus / PDK Plus, it help in accomplishing our goal
  2. In Vehicle Maintenance Data, enable/install 640 - Sports Chrono Plus
  3. Write the values
  4. Navigate back to Overview and then to the AC Module where you map your buttons, map the Sport button to Sport Plus
  5. Take the car out for a drive and let me know what you think, I picked up on a much more aggressive result...
All of this does not require any activation codes but, in doing so, would not result in the Chrono functionality only the more aggressive mapping. Thoughts?

Last edited by 981pnonline; 02-25-2024 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:08 PM
981pnonline
Cruisin'

One last update. For those still looking to go the traditional activation route and not the potential alternative in my last post. Take a look at the below screenshot from the Simulation Mode of PIWIS 2 (Simulation is using a Sports Plus enabled car), you can see that the Emissions type is set to Lev 2. On my 981 Cayman, on which I am not able to activate Sports Plus, it is marked as 164 - ULEV 2. Does the key lie within this? Given some other members have pointed out their might be a restriction of Sports Plus on certain cars due to emissions reason and the recall, this setting may be worth playing with. Curious if the other members having problems also have their cars marked as ULEV 2 instead of Lev 2. Won't be able to try out what switching this does until the upcoming weekend but if others have tried this or are willing to try this and then auto code it to their cars, curious if this fixes our problem.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 981pnonline
One last update. For those still looking to go the traditional activation route and not the potential alternative in my last post. Take a look at the below screenshot from the Simulation Mode of PIWIS 2 (Simulation is using a Sports Plus enabled car), you can see that the Emissions type is set to Lev 2. On my 981 Cayman, on which I am not able to activate Sports Plus, it is marked as 164 - ULEV 2. Does the key lie within this? Given some other members have pointed out their might be a restriction of Sports Plus on certain cars due to emissions reason and the recall, this setting may be worth playing with. Curious if the other members having problems also have their cars marked as ULEV 2 instead of Lev 2. Won't be able to try out what switching this does until the upcoming weekend but if others have tried this or are willing to try this and then auto code it to their cars, curious if this fixes our problem.
Interesting, adjusting the emissions settings is something that I don't think has been explored yet. I'm curious to hear how it works out. I'm hopeful, yet pessimistic at the same time, since I imagine cars originally sold as ULEV 2 still got Sport+ if equipped from the factory. I don't think Porsche could get away with selling a car certified as ULEV as LEV, at least in California. Even if it was allowed, maintaining two different emissions certifications, one for Sport Chrono cars and another for non-Sport Chrono, doesn't seem like something they'd want to do either. These days, you don't really see, for example, 49-state cars and California cars anymore; manufacturers just certify everything for California and sell the same cars everywhere.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:30 AM
981pnonline
Cruisin'

Forgive the back to back posts but I think this may be the key now to cracking this. See below link for the official procedure which was used to disable the Sports+ during the recall:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10208612-0001.pdf

It looks as though they simply ran a DME auto recode and throttle valve adaptation to recode the DME and PDK using PIWIS 3 version 40.795.100 or higher which contained the patch. After doing so it disabled Sport+. However if one uses a earlier version of PIWIS (e.g PIWIS 2 or pre 40.795 PIWIS 3) and runs the same procedure it would reprogram the DME and PDK without the restricted version of programming and then all who have struggled with this might be able to finally get this activated using the appropriate steps outlined by others. This is even outlined in the document by stating that any older PIWIS version used for the procedure would be “ineffective” Curious to hear any thoughts and/or from those who are up for trying.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:42 PM
bassir
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 981pnonline
Forgive the back to back posts but I think this may be the key now to cracking this. See below link for the official procedure which was used to disable the Sports+ during the recall:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10208612-0001.pdf

It looks as though they simply ran a DME auto recode and throttle valve adaptation to recode the DME and PDK using PIWIS 3 version 40.795.100 or higher which contained the patch. After doing so it disabled Sport+. However if one uses a earlier version of PIWIS (e.g PIWIS 2 or pre 40.795 PIWIS 3) and runs the same procedure it would reprogram the DME and PDK without the restricted version of programming and then all who have struggled with this might be able to finally get this activated using the appropriate steps outlined by others. This is even outlined in the document by stating that any older PIWIS version used for the procedure would be “ineffective” Curious to hear any thoughts and/or from those who are up for trying.
Any progress on this? Is it just build date? Emissions checkbox?

I heard you have to enable QR5 and 640 in the "maintenance of vehicle data" sequence. So far based on my research, this is probably the best order of coding:

Air conditioning F12 -> Drive links/checks -> General ->
Functional enable -> [$$$ CODE] -> F8

PCM -> Maintenance and Repairs ->
Function Enable -> [$$$ CODE] -> F8

Air conditioning -> Coding adaptations ->
Customer specific -> BUTTON ASSIGNMENTS -> F8

Overview -> F7 Additional Menu -> Maintenance of vehicle data ->
0GG "emissions?" uncheck
162 "emissions" uncheck
640 "sport plus" check
QR5 "compass" check
-> F8 -> F12

Overview -> CTRL+A -> F12 -> Coding adaptations -> Automatic coding
I assume enabling the codes and then enabling the options prior to automatic coding every module should be the best way to go. That would reprogram any dealership changes to the DME+PDK, etc. Still not sure as I have not tried this in my 2015 Boxster Base (March '15) which based on theory presented in this thread regarding build date -- should not work w Sport+.

Last edited by bassir; 04-26-2024 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package