968 Forum 1992-1995

Restoration just about done!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Restoration just about done!

A few of you have asked me to update the forum when I wrapped up my restoration of the '94 GR 968 I picked up a few years ago. It was a single-owner car, but it was showing its age pretty badly - worse than the listing pictures let on, actually. The interior was 100% beige, which was badly worn and faded. I swapped it for black carpet and Porsche sport seats reupholstered in two-tone leather. The wheels might be a bit much for some, but to me, they set off the red very well while also fitting in with the 90's feel of the car.

The car is now worth significantly more than what I originally paid for it, and probably a bit more than my all-in cost. No matter though, I have no intentions of selling. It took a bit longer than I'd hoped, but that was because of "life" and not the car. Things like getting married and moving and stuff sometimes take priority. Sometimes.

Anyway, here are a few pics. I am extremely happy with how it all turned out, particularly the interior, and how the original paint just woke up after some coaxing by an AMAZING detail shop in Glen Cove on Long Island. Just a few little bits left to address like a squeak here and a rattle there - all in the cabin, the mechanicals are rock solid.

Never thought I'd love this car as much as the SY Cab, but I can drive it without feeling like I'm risking an endangered species like I do when I drive the SY (still doesn't stop me though!).

I picked up a few extras that I haven't installed yet like the front splitter, and I was thinking of widening the intake a bit to match the height of the fogs and directionals (a great looking mod in my opinion), but that was before it turned out so great. Would love opinions on that.

Enjoy!
-V
Old 06-06-2016, 02:15 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts

Looks fantastic. I love the stitching on the seats. Hope to see them in person someday. Heading to Parade in VT?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by jeff968
Looks fantastic. I love the stitching on the seats. Hope to see them in person someday. Heading to Parade in VT?
Thanks, Jeff. I'd love to get Parade but it's not in the cards this year. Maybe we can meet up one of these days on my trips between NY and MA?

-V
Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the wheels. They look period correct. Nice job getting it sorted. It's amazing when it all comes back together.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:40 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks great!

Not to thread jack but do you have a local place for your seat recovering, actually I kinda remember a thread on it a while back.

I have some seats that are buckets, that I would like to replace the fabric covers with leather. Do you know of a place to send off the covers and have them re-produced?
Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Love the wheels. They look period correct. Nice job getting it sorted. It's amazing when it all comes back together.
It really is a great feeling. So many projects find their way into limbo, great to wrap this one up.

Originally Posted by touareg
Looks great!

Not to thread jack but do you have a local place for your seat recovering, actually I kinda remember a thread on it a while back.

I have some seats that are buckets, that I would like to replace the fabric covers with leather. Do you know of a place to send off the covers and have them re-produced?
Thanks. This thread is all I've got on the seat guys. All I can tell you is I am super satisfied with the work they did, and how they conducted themselves.

-V
Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great looking car! Is there a thread I can see the before pics?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:14 PM
MLB968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoration just about done!

Well, almost leaves me speechless, except to say it's spectacular! Congrats!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:33 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow, that is one beautiful 968! Congrats!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by Speedvagen
Great looking car! Is there a thread I can see the before pics?
Thanks! No real before pics, and the ones I do have don't even show how bad it was. But in person, you know...

Originally Posted by MLB968
Well, almost leaves me speechless, except to say it's spectacular! Congrats!
Exactly how I felt when I saw it half way done!

Originally Posted by az968gpw
Wow, that is one beautiful 968! Congrats!
Thanks! We 968-ers are more like stewards than owners. Gotta keep 'em in top shape. It's a labor of love.

-V
Old 06-10-2016, 03:49 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WoW! Twice! No really, WOW!
Great seat treatment. Seems like a very rare wind deflector as well.
Two in one photo. Whose SY Cab?
Did deflector come with the car?
I guess that might be one additional example of a car I would buy without factory paint.
Congrats!

Last edited by FLT951; 06-10-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Nicely done - great job!
Old 06-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by FLT951
WoW! Twice! No really, WOW!
Great seat treatment. Seems like a very rare wind deflector as well.
Two in one photo. Whose SY Cab?
Did deflector come with the car?
I guess that might be one additional example of a car I would buy without factory paint.
Congrats!
Thanks!
I really do love the way the interior came out, also. Better than I'd hoped, and I had high hopes.

The wind deflector did not come with the red car, I purchased it immediately after getting the car from its only previous owner. The yellow cab is also mine, and that one did happen to come with the deflector brand new in the box. I installed it for the first time just before these pics were taken, actually.

Both cars are factory paint, BTW. The SY is as close to perfect as you can get, and the red just needed a little coaxing from the amazing detail shop.

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Nicely done - great job!
Thank you sir!

-V

Last edited by Vendetta NY; 06-11-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:27 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for info. Where did you acquire the defector? Did it take a suitcase or a wheelbarrow full of cash?
What number is your SY cab in the Jeff log? How many miles on it? Wanna sell?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by FLT951
Thanks for info. Where did you acquire the defector? Did it take a suitcase or a wheelbarrow full of cash?
What number is your SY cab in the Jeff log? How many miles on it? Wanna sell?
The deflector I purchased in 2013, and was told it was the last of the last of the last. I think I paid $500 for it? But I neeeeeded to have it, you understand.

The SY cab is #3, and is all original except for a short shift kit, D1R strut and chassis braces, an aftermarket stereo, Euro corner lamps, and the Carrera wheels. All original parts are boxed and stored. Car is in absolutely mint condition, with an unquestionable provenance and unmarked title. Just 48,718 as she sits as of this writing.

As for selling, I just don't ever see that happening. I believe this is THE reference SY Cab, and I have no intentions to part with it. Appreciate your asking though!

-V

Quick Reply: Restoration just about done!