Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

New cab top time. Thoughts on tops?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts
Default New cab top time. Thoughts on tops?

I'll be replacing my 23 year old cabriolet top over the winter. Does anyone have any opinions on the brands/types?

I actually have a new top that I picked up from someone.

It is from German Auto tops in CA.

They offer three varieties, OEM German Sonnenland, Twillfast II Cloth, and Stayfast Cloth. The top I have is the Stayfast.

Any thoughts on where to get a top and pros and cons of each?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:38 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, I spent a decent amount of time researching new tops for our cabriolet. The Sonnenland material is indistinguishable from the OEM material and should last another couple of decades. I just googled "Porsche 968 cabriolet replacement top" until I had a small pool of manufacturers, it appears they all use the same material. You also might want to consider a maritime shop that deals with sails, they have tons of experience with these materials. Porsche still has some of the originals in stock but I want to say the cost for the exterior and interior tops was ~$5k.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:20 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Thanks Aaron, I'll be using an installer here in CT who has plenty of experience with installing these tops on Porsches (Automobile Associates in Canton). I'll call German auto tops after new years to see what they say about the different materials. Not sure if I should trade up for the Sonnenland? I won't be going OEM on this one.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:39 PM
4kix66
Banned

Jeff,
As you know, I have some experience with this. I've done three. Two forced and one by choice. Used the German product all three times. Twice used Sonnenland because the quality of the cars seemed to demand it. The third time I used the Stayfast and I swear to this day after installation I preferred the Stayfast for price vs durability and overall appearance. One issue is, I am absolutely sure the scuff, fold, stay true shape factor was better with Stayfast over time. The Sonnenland seemed to develop those wear characteristics earlier. Doing it again I would probably not hesitate to choose the Stayfast. My tops were installed by specialty top shops in Santa Fe, N.M and Walnut Creek, Ca. One of them required new motors and all new lifting and lowering mechanisms done by the W.C. Porsche dealer. He then farmed out the fabric to his captive top shop. The third was done at the dealer top shop. I had two black and one gray top installed. The gray one on a gray car with a gray interior was truly spectacular. Two things to be cautious about are the wind and water leak factors. It is difficult to secure these tops against those factors. Do a complete onsite test and then do an offsite moving test. Preferably in the rain. If not, then, at least with windshield washer. Get a one wet season warranty from the installer if you can. They won't want to but I convinced mine to do it on the shame factor in WC. The SF guy gave me the warranty for $50 and actually honored it when I developed a wind hiss in dry weather that was obviously going to leak. Wind hiss or draft can be just as bad as an actual leak. If you'd like to see pix I can send them to you but you probably already have. The SY, the gray and the white/red. Or, the pix can be clicked here on RL in my profile. BTW, I found the total crash pix thru John Paterek and will be posting them soon. Thanks for your help. Brought back bad memories of a bad moment and the demise of one of our cars. Just curious, do you have a glass option? Now there is an interesting OEM moment to be considered. My choice is hell yes because we all know Porsche ain't perfect. Witness cam chains, timing belts blah blah blah.

Last edited by 4kix66; 12-23-2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling and clarity
Old 12-23-2015, 04:59 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much Bill! Great first-hand experience, As for glass, i don't think we'll ever see that based on the way the folding mech works.

BTW, did you have any "maintenance" done to the assembly when the top was off? Lube? Tighten? I'm sure my guys will know what to do but I'm curious.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:36 PM
4kix66
Banned

Jeff,
Definitely observe the pot metal arms and stuff for cracks or stress. Bolts and connectors for tightness, etc. Also, you can perform an up/down repetition to observe for tell tale noises and the straightness factors. These top mechanisms are a serious problem but they are not fail for sure 100% of the time like early Boxsters are. The trouble with the 968 top is anybody but a dealer working on them is probably a first. Even dealers have no experience cuz there are no cars to work on. With Bosters there is a top fix franchise next to every Starbuck's.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:14 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

good info....thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:56 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

Jeff - been gone for a while but getting back in the mix again. Hope all is well. I've done two tops. one as mentioned above and the last time with Stayfast stretched over the main. Ive used it on my boats for years. It is IMHO more durable than the german stuff and in black you cannot tell the difference. So much so I mixed it up a bit and used the factory rear window section and they matched perfect. Cannot tell.

I posted a rear window DYI with all the information, drawings and part numbers for you.

Cheers, Mike
Old 12-31-2015, 11:16 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Notes for a 1990 944S2 Cab if they help.

I am not sure if they made it for the 968, but find the 944S2 Cab teknic manual. Helped imensly when I did my 944 Cab.

I did find some stripped receptacles for bolts, on my 1990 cab, I can't remember what I did to fix them.

I also had trouble getting the B pillar pulled down as taught and as flush as I would have like.

But since I did it myself, I chalked it up to experience. I found carefully removing the old top and using it for a reference did help.

I used a 3M convertible roof adhesive for gluing something back on to the frame.

I loosened the power top motor bolts, to get it to move the roof and test fit back and forth of the new fabric, never did get it to work right after that, but I was younger, a lot less $$$ and there was no info on the internet. I am sure I could have brought it to a dealer and had it fixed, but again I got the cab for 7k back in 2002 and did not have the money Finding any spare parts was a concern.

EDIT: Here is the 944 S2 Cab top info pdf attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
968CabTop.pdf (3.66 MB, 324 views)

Quick Reply: New cab top time. Thoughts on tops?