Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:43 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Article saying 968 values are rising per Hagerty

Link to an article from the recent PCA's e-Brake News email:

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...ogy-automotive

Didn't see it posted here yet. Looks like another positive sign values are on the upswing in the 968 world.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 AM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news! Timing for me is spot on as I am selling. Makes me think I should sit on it a little while longer though!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Already out there, but I don't mind more threads regarding increasing values.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...o-hagerty.html

-V
Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

Enzo's on the 68 forum?
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've said for a long time that when values of the 968's contemporaries (MR2, RX7, C4 Corvette, etc.) start rising, the 968's should as well. From what I've gathered, it appears like that is finally starting to happen. The problem for the 968 is that it doesn't stand out in any way from its contemporaries - in comparison tests in its day, the 968 tended to come out at the bottom, in fact. But the market for older cars, regardless of age, genre, country of origin, or pretty much any factor, seems to be on fire right now, so hopefully the 968 will start to ride the wave. Doesn't help me, since I've converted mine to a track car, but these are good cars, so it will be nice to see their values firm up.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:01 PM
hb253
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless one is selling, I don't see the benefit of rising value. The car looks and drives the same What am I missing here?

Hugo
Old 08-19-2015, 02:06 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
The problem for the 968 is that it doesn't stand out in any way from its contemporaries
I'm not sure if I agree. I've posted these before but these are my top 6 reasons why the 968 makes a great collectible. I'm not sure that the contemporaries can compete in many of these areas:

1. Rarity – The production numbers are amazingly low. Due to the recession and the vehicle cost brought on by the fact that 968s were still be hand built the production numbers were very low. My cab was over $60K in 1992 dollars. This resulted in only 4,242 North American 968s produced in all 4 model years!

2. Evolution – The 968 was the final version of the successful front-engine Porsche line and represents all they learned resulting in a solid vehicle with the latest technology and all the weak points of the model line addressed. I’ve owned them for 17 years and never had one break down.

3. Advanced engineering – Because of its advanced engineering the 968 is still pretty much up to date from a technology perspective. An economical and responsive 4 cylinder engine, a 6 speed transmission mounted in the rear for a 50/50 weight ratio, variable valves, ABS, airbags. It sounds like today’s latest offerings.

4. Timeless looks and style – Subjective but the 968 looks great today. I’m often asked if it is a new model. I like the interior as well.

5. Pedigree/Heritage – all 968s were built in Stuttgart. The 968 did limited racing and did well when it did. The racing 968s are even rarer and have commanded huge collector dollars. One of the 968 RS cars sold for close to $350K.

6. Unique vehicles – As if the low production wasn’t enough, Porsche was starting to do much vehicle customization with the introduction of the 968. Over 30 exterior colors, 100 different interiors styles/colors, and 100s of custom options made for a number of unique cars even within the small number produced. Uniqueness is one of the primary drivers for collectability.

I think the above give the 968 a BIG edge over the others.

Jeff
Old 08-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hb253
Unless one is selling, I don't see the benefit of rising value. The car looks and drives the same What am I missing here?

Hugo
I'd say "the point," but you state it in your first sentence. Do you expect the market value to have a physical effect on the car's looks and/or driving performance?

-V
Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by jeff968
Jane you ignorant ****.
Jeff
tell him what you really think.

*this is a spoof post not intended to vilify, injure or defame based on real world situations.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
I've said for a long time that when values of the 968's contemporaries (MR2, RX7, C4 Corvette, etc.) start rising, the 968's should as well. From what I've gathered, it appears like that is finally starting to happen. The problem for the 968 is that it doesn't stand out in any way from its contemporaries - in comparison tests in its day, the 968 tended to come out at the bottom, in fact. But the market for older cars, regardless of age, genre, country of origin, or pretty much any factor, seems to be on fire right now, so hopefully the 968 will start to ride the wave. Doesn't help me, since I've converted mine to a track car, but these are good cars, so it will be nice to see their values firm up.

not only is this an overwhelmingly true and astute posting of true facts,

with only 1 small matter left out (that will be covered at the conclusion of this post).

but the 968s spend a good deal of their time off the roads,

and not getting out to meet and greet their contemporaries.

at the beginning of this month, I saw my first 968 on the road - since 1995.

as likely as not,

968 prices since 2008 are NO LESS a reflection of currency devaluation than the price of a Snickers bar.

sorry.

and the mother of all crashes in quasi-collectable cars and for that matter, real genuine collectables draws nearer by the day.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBllejn5fVA

Originally Posted by jeff968
I...... give the 968 a BIG edge over the others.
I must side with you Jeff.

take the top of the line 968 vs the top of every damn ALL THE OTHERS cars in class.

GAME OVER.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-20-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:46 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
tell him what you really think.
I did, and I always respect the opinion of others. Even yours!!!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

leaving the topic of the absolutely true coming crash for another day......

the fact that the 968 Turbo S and Turbo RS even exist,

and the fact that, at the end of the day IT'S A GOD DAMNED PORSCHE.

make the 968 far and away the best of class.

I don't know in what exact way they were beaten by others in their class in all categories of automobile performance,

but, at their time of production, they were not among the best handling cars on the planet.

they were the best handling production cars period.... equaled only by the Ferrari F-50 at their time of production.

the F-50 came from the factory with about the best rubber (for the street) that money could by....

with the 968 sorted, the baby Porsche sits alone at the top on the skidpad.

take all of the points covered by Jeff and you all - adding or subtracting to their value against their peers.

and the couple additional points i offer.... given as a whole....

leaves me scratching my head that these cars aren't priced well higher.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:40 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the points you guys are making about why the 968 should be worth more than its contemporaries in the resale market applies much more to cars of an earlier era, where nostalgia, brand, rarity, and similar intangibles mattered a lot more. The 968 is a car of the modern era, and as such, I think its value will be judged more by how it ranked compared to its contemporaries as an actual car. And it that respect, it was terribly average, at best. I was in the market for a new sports/GT car in the early nineties (before the kids came along), and the 968 never even crosed my mind - for $10,000 less, I bought a car that mopped the pavement with the 968 in terms of speed, power-to-weight ratio, interior styling, layout and level of appointment, arguably exterior styling, and yes, even handling - a twin-turbo RX7. I bought my current 968 years later, goofily, because I wanted a sports/GT car with a back seat, since I had young kids at the time (which is why I had to very reluctantly sell the RX7). I was considering an E36 M3, but I loved the 968's looks, and its rarity, and I've enjoyed owning mine immensely. And I'm having a blast with it on the track now, but I digress.

I think the 968 has a lot in common with another Mazda, the RX8. It too was the last of a breed - REALLY last, as in the last rotary-powered car we'll ever see in this country. Like the 968, it was a good car, but not a great one. It had its strong points - brilliant handling, and a smooth, high-revving engine being the primary two, but it also had its shortcoming, in the form of weak low-end torgue, quirky styling, and abysmal gas mileage. Will it ever achieve collector status on the merits of its strenghts? Maybe, but I doubt it, because it simply wasn't that great a car.

But this is all just conjecture - as always, the market will decide, and if anybody tells you they know where it's heading, grab your wallet as tightly as you can, and run the other way. It seems that practically anything that is no longer in production (didn't we used to call these "used cars"?) is going up in value these days, which makes it even harder to predict which ones will survive the inevitable dip (not sure I agree that a "crash" is coming...) that tends to follow periods of euphoric appreciation.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think I would have Enzo'd this thread(btw I did look & didn't see the other one) if I'd known our beloved hand built 968s would be compared to a Mazda. In spite of what positive attributes they may have, just not even in the same league with a hand built Porsche 968 to me. To say "Like the 968, it was a good car, but not a great one.", I just don't see that comparison. But maybe I need to own a Mazda(won't happen). And if you want to compare performance #s, give the 968 twin turbos & then see how things stack up. Not that I don't admit the Mazdas can scoot around the track really well & know they are popular & successful for that.

Quick Reply: Article saying 968 values are rising per Hagerty