968 Forum 1992-1995

968 "Mini Meet" on LI

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:53 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 968 "Mini Meet" on LI

So as I mentioned in the other thread, the "barn find" SY Coupe #5, which sold for north of $30K on eBay, found its way from New Jersey to Import Auto Haus here on Long Island, NY - a true Mecca for classic Pcar service and restoration. Owned and operated by Peter Potzinger, a true Porsche fanatic, this is the only place I'd trust with my 968's, and any air-cooled Porsches - if I had them. (Some day...)

My quasi-restoration of the GR 968 Cab was completed yesterday, so I figured I'd swap in the SY Cab #3 to let the good doctor prep it for long term storage. While I'm there, he tells me SY Coupe #5 is on the way. There was NO WAY I was going to let this opportunity slip by. I stuck around until the flatbed arrived and we staged a few shots with all three cars.

I can not believe the condition of SY Coupe #5. Aside from the usual suspects like the door handle and body moulding gaskets, and a few curiosities like a paint defect near an ill-fitting fuel door, the car is in impeccable visual condition. All body paint metered to spec, too. The interior looks barely used. If it checks out mechanically - and there's no reason to suspect otherwise - then the owner landed a real gem. I did not meet the owner, yet... but based on the car ending up at Peter's shop, I suspect whoever it is know what he's got and wants to bring it those last few millimeters to factory condition.

I'll be seeing this car again later in the week and will get more shots of just the SY's together.

Enjoy!
-V

Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Too bad the seller didn't but your "quick" shots on the auction, 100% better, car may have fetched even more money!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:41 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Nice pix

...I do like the phenomena of low mileage examples but they are just too much fun to drive. I guess if I had a sub-30k mile car, I would pickle it and get another less pristine example to drive.

Got on I-40 last night about 1AM to play at the TN-NC border...ppl really gawk at these cars.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by touareg
Too bad the seller didn't but your "quick" shots on the auction, 100% better, car may have fetched even more money!
I know, right? Quick snaps with the camera on my phone, while dodging passing cars - goes a long way! I don't get why the seller did not post a more detailed description with better pics in his listing. Definitely left money on the table, in my opinion. Not saying "smart" money, just... money.

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
Nice pix

...I do like the phenomena of low mileage examples but they are just too much fun to drive. I guess if I had a sub-30k mile car, I would pickle it and get another less pristine example to drive.

Got on I-40 last night about 1AM to play at the TN-NC border...ppl really gawk at these cars.
That's why I got two.

And yeah, you should have seen the traffic coming to a halt to admire this lineup and moment. Goosebumps all around.

Thanks for the comments!
-V
Old 06-01-2015, 10:32 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice! I can't talk you guys into taking your cars out to the car shows but it is good that you get together for whataver reason.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice, congrats!
Old 06-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by jeff968
Nice! I can't talk you guys into taking your cars out to the car shows but it is good that you get together for whataver reason.
Now now...

I wanted to do Hershey but my group was gigging that weekend, and the weekend of the Zone 1 event was smack dab in the middle of Communion season - of which I had a few to attend. Both events were a bit beyond the viable "day trip" radius for me.

But if anything like a mini meet, C&C, member rally, etc. comes up nearby on a weekend I'm free? I'd be all about it.

I wonder if Porsche of Huntington is doing their annual Concours & BBQ this year? Always a good time...

-V
Old 06-01-2015, 02:56 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

I'm not picking on you!

There are MANY 968s in the tri-state area. That said, we had 4 968s at the Zone 1 concours with 50% of them coming down with a guy from CT.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Hopefully the Parade will be better. 12 hour drive out there!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Maybe if we brought the water to the horses? I'd sign up for a mid-summer Bear Mountain 968 rally right now! And show up with both.

-V
Old 06-02-2015, 11:36 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
I'm not picking on you!

There are MANY 968s in the tri-state area. That said, we had 4 968s at the Zone 1 concours with 50% of them coming down with a guy from CT.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Hopefully the Parade will be better. 12 hour drive out there!
Greg, I was all registered and ready to show my turbo at Zone 1, unfortunately there was a last min change.

Trust me, I was very excited about being there in company with 'Bad Boys' 964 turbo. They had set up a separate section for our special cars.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
Maybe if we brought the water to the horses? I'd sign up for a mid-summer Bear Mountain 968 rally right now! And show up with both.

-V
That's some skills. I have yet to figure out how to bring both my cars or drive them both. Please share your secret.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
That's some skills. I have yet to figure out how to bring both my cars or drive them both. Please share your secret.
I hand my wife the keys to one of them.

...hey, I never claimed there weren't risks involved.

-V
Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
I hand my wife the keys to one of them.

...hey, I never claimed there weren't risks involved.

-V
I got both of mine to the NJ Zone 1 concours. I drove one, Greg drove another, and my wife came down later in the Q5 so we had three vehicles there. It can be done when there is a will.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

I met the new owner of Coupe #5 yesterday. Good guy, knows his cars, and recognizes what he's got in this car. Great to see it wind up in good hands.

Turns out the car will live here on Long Island. Another special car for the September concours in Westbury!

-V

Quick Reply: 968 "Mini Meet" on LI