968 Forum 1992-1995

Cab top replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 03:21 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Cab top replacement

I'm going to replace my cab top on Minty this year. Anyone done this? Any advice? What should I expect to pay for the job?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 04:49 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I haven't endured that yet but was given a warning by a Porsche shop owner whom I trust, John Clark in KC, that said the real problem is finding someone who can stretch the rear corners by the trunk lid properly. Apparently its easy to screw that up and if you don't know what you are doing, its hard to get that correct. Be sure to ask about that/point it out when interviewing shops for this job.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:17 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have done it on a 944S2. It has been about 10 years, so I don't recall exact details, but I can tell you what I remember. I assume the roof is very similar.

I found the technical manual for just the roof, I *might* still have it kick around, but may have thrown it out after not being able to sell it on ebay. It was a small 3 ring binder bound book, that is for sticking in a binder. This book had all the details on the 944S2 roof, how it comes apart, repairs etc. It was this book but for the cab and was indispensable.

I remember loosening the emergency bolts, so I could work on removing the cloth roof while moving the frame back and forth while I removed and installed the new fabric. I remember having stripped screws that were just stripped from age, I remember bagging everything (like when doing a dash change!)

I bought cans of some sort of 3M adhesive for convertible roofs, as you have to re-attach and glue the roof to the frame. I just remember a goopy yellow tacky spray.

I also remove I messed up the power roof and didn't have the money to have a dealer look at it (i think the micro switches on the bolts you loosen to raise the roof in an emergency needed to be set) I was young and dumb, so didn't know how to get it fixed with the funds so lived with a manual roof till I sold the car.

I do remember it was multiple pieces, but I don't recall which end I started on, but I do recall removing the old roof was the manual I needed to reverse the work. I don't recall any hidden gotchas.

I also remember on the S2 parts were rare, so I was careful not to break any seals around the roof.

I do remember the corner, were the B pillar was I had to use a punch to make the hole for that part that was mentioned earlier, as well as all the screws around where the tonoe (sp) cover clips go.

In the end it was 99% like the original, with a few slight wrinkles where I didn't pull and fit the fabric before I screwed it down tight on the frame, again around the B piller area, but it didn't leak for the 2-3 years I had the car and it was only $350 for the roof plus supplies

All in all if you can change a dash, pay attention to details, and have patience (which if I had when I was in my 20s, I might have had a better fit) I think I did it in 2 days, outside with no garage, so I might have been in a hurry!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:26 PM
touareg
Drifting

This is it.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 PM
touareg
Drifting

And this is where the slight wrinkles end up if you don't do it right

Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
And this is where the slight wrinkles end up if you don't do it right
And that is a factory job on the Porsche factory car!!

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 AM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeff968
And that is a factory job on the Porsche factory car!!

Thanks for the input.
Hah, didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the factory display car, was trying to point out I remember that area being the hardest to get taught and look well.

Picked that picture because it was the first I found on google that had a close shot of the roof.

Also I kinda remember dry fit first before you glue

Also remember using this:

And something like this, I might still have the 10 year old can in the basement with all the other half used things, I will check.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:29 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I've done it. It was a PITA. And yes, I didn't get those specific areas correct..

There's some pictures of the process on my Flickr account, but nothing very detailed. Work from back to front, ensuring everything is taut along the way. Use contact cement to hold the fabric in place. I think the trick to getting those areas correct is to fix them prior to fixing the front, which I didn't do -- I came back and did them last.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touarg, what is the Work Book number down in the lower right corner?

Cheers,
Larry
Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Does anybody know of a online version of the S2 cabriolet service manual? Like to have a copy,

Regards,
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Touarg, what is the Work Book number down in the lower right corner?

Cheers,
Larry
I believe this is it:

1991 944 S2 Sealing Body Convertible – WKD 497 321

I have no idea where my copy is (Been cleaning too much the last few years and have lost track of where things used to be for over a decade)
Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joel8005
Does anybody know of a online version of the S2 cabriolet service manual? Like to have a copy,

Regards,
PM me with your email and I can send you a scan.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by touareg
PM me with your email and I can send you a scan.
Thanks and FYI that manual is NLA from Porsche

Quick Reply: Cab top replacement