Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Can the clutch fork be removed and reinstalled from the bell housing by just removing the window on the bell housing? Does the exhaust have to come off to get the window out?

I will look into it....but right now the heavy clutch doesn't really both me. It's just very odd when I get in the 951 and it's sooo easy.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Can the clutch fork be removed and reinstalled from the bell housing by just removing the window on the bell housing? Does the exhaust have to come off to get the window out?

I will look into it....but right now the heavy clutch doesn't really both me. It's just very odd when I get in the 951 and it's sooo easy.
Yes, in a 968, you can remove/swap everything with the window out. You need to remove the exhaust to get proper access. Always use a copper based lube for the fork, needle, needle bearings, output shaft bearing etc. Pretty much all moving parts should be lubed with a copper based paste.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:36 AM
BikePilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW my clutch was replaced by a dealer using, presumably, Porsche OEM parts (this was during the PO's tenure). I recently replaced the master, slave, and bushings. My clutch is firm, but very smooth. Before doing the master, slave, and bushings it occasionally squeaked and felt a little gritty. Turned out the main pivot bushing was gone and the pivot pin was worn half-way through the steel. Definitely not the best designed clutch pedal arrangement in terms of durability. Any squeaks or gritty feeling would make it wise to pull the pedal/linkage apart to check the bushings and stuff. The bushings and pin are inexpensive and still available from Porsche (local dealer actually had them in stock!).
Old 08-18-2016, 04:14 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BikePilot
FWIW my clutch was replaced by a dealer using, presumably, Porsche OEM parts (this was during the PO's tenure). I recently replaced the master, slave, and bushings. My clutch is firm, but very smooth. Before doing the master, slave, and bushings it occasionally squeaked and felt a little gritty. Turned out the main pivot bushing was gone and the pivot pin was worn half-way through the steel. Definitely not the best designed clutch pedal arrangement in terms of durability. Any squeaks or gritty feeling would make it wise to pull the pedal/linkage apart to check the bushings and stuff. The bushings and pin are inexpensive and still available from Porsche (local dealer actually had them in stock!).
I know this is a couple of years old but this is exactly the info I was looking for. my clutch, master and slave cylinders were just replaced but my clutch feels exactly that - gritty. can't wait to get in there and see how the bushings look.

thanks for the insight.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:44 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It could also be the helper spring adjustment on the pedal itself. Check the manual.

Anytime the clutch and master cylinders are replaced, one has to adjust the helper spring length. Also, make sure the fork pin and pivot bearings were replaced.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:25 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely worth checking clutch fork bearings if you can get to them. On my 951 the clutch was making a loud squeaking/creaking sound when pressing down on the pedal. When I took the engine out to rebuild it, I found that the needle bearings in the clutch fork were totally dried up and had all sorts of dust and sandy crud in them. The needles didn't even spin. I cleaned them out and regreased them, and now that the engine is back in the car the clutch feels perfect and no more squeaking.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:47 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

The original factory fitted 968 clutch pressure plate ( 1992 - 1995 ) is no longer available new from Porsche or anyone else for that matter for years & years & the reason for that is ( the pressure plate only ) was made by Lockheed of England & gave a very comfortable clutch pedal ( pressure ) feel , meaning it had a relatively low clamping force as opposed to the later Sachs 964 911 pressure plate , that we have all been fitting for 15 + years or so as a replacement when the clutch was in need of replacement , because that is all that is available new from Porsche or Sachs ( same parts )

And even the 964 ( 911 )= 968 as well pressure plate has been superseded many times over the years as well , meaning the part number keeps changing = small changes made to the pressure plate

Example } one of the early part numbers for the pressure plate was 964 116 228 00 , this was superseded to 964 116 027 00 , this was superseded to 964 116 027 01 , this was superseded to 964 116 027 90 , this was superseded to 964 116 028 90

This explains why there has been a slight mystery surrounding the 968 clutch over the decades

When the 968 was new ( 1992 - 1995 ) the clutch operational pedal force required to operate it was very similar to a standard 944S2 , meaning it was quite light or put another way it was easy to use in traffic etc , but with a new "replacement " clutch kit ( for the last 15 + years , maybe more ) the pressure plate is for the 964 911 = higher clamping force = a heavier clutch pedal & hence the the question by owners } Why is the clutch pedal harder / stiffer to operate to the old clutch that just came out ? ,because normally it the other way around ?

Someone ( probably Porsche ) decided decades ago not to get Lockheed to remake the relatively rare ( and probably way too expensive to make in small numbers ) 968 only pressure plates remade ( apart from the original batch ), so the part number was simply superseded to the standard 964 911 pressure plate that was made by Sachs ( only ) & this was also a way to ensure a stronger pressure plate clamping force ( much less likely to slip when flogged )

So this explains why over the decades when we have removed a worn out ( original ) clutch from a 968 , the "original only" clutch pressure plate was marked with the words " Lockheed "

Note } 1) The 968 had from new, a dual mass flywheel, this was the first front engine'd Porsche from last century to get this & the only one & this dual mass fits only the 968 .

2 ) Because it has a dual mass flywheel , the clutch plate had no need for internal springs , so thats why the clutch plate ( friction plate ) is quite simple & relatively inexpensive on its own

3 ) The clutch release bearing ( throw out ) is unique to the 968

4 ) The clutch fork is unique to the 968

Thought this info would be of some interest

Last edited by JET951; 08-21-2016 at 04:19 AM. Reason: add content
Old 08-21-2016, 06:07 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Jet - I'm not sure what is available now, but earlier this year we installed 3 968 clutches on the same day. We had no problem acquiring (from Porsche) the proper "green strip" pressure plates who's clutch pedal feel is, to use Raj's quote, "like butter". Porsche may have changed vendors, but the spring tension of the PP appears to be correct

Cliff
Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Cliff , Yes I know , I am only referring to the Lockheed pressure plate that was originally installed way way way way back in 1992-1995 only & had an even "softer " feel than the "Green Stripe " one

The new ones from Porsche are the Sachs ones , that's all I am referring to , meaning back in 1992 etc the original Lockheed one was as soft to operate as a new Sachs clutch in a 944S2 which the "green stripe "968 only Sachs version is a little heavier

Regards
Bruce Buchanan

Last edited by JET951; 08-21-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 968 clutch question